81 in the RPI | The Boneyard

81 in the RPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
since we're 26th in both the AP & Coach's polls, I'm thinking we break through next week (unless we falter at Tulane)

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
After the win last night. Moved up almost 40 spots.
Nice. AND to think we dropped 30 just stepping on the court against Central. Great recovery.

Reaction Score
If you look through the RPI the whole thing is a joke. How does Incarnate Word have a 62 RPI? Only 2 of their wins have come against DI opponents. They are 2-5 against DI opponents. They are 0-3 vs RPI top 150. They played 2 games vs RPI top 50. Losing to Purdue and Oklahoma by 35 and 33 points. Their 2 DI wins were against St Johns (rpi 189) and Rice (rpi 245). They lost to Our Lady of the Lake (NAIA). They are 19 spots ahead of us? We could improve our RPI more by beating them then by beating 9-3 Memphis(rpi 127) who is 3-3 vs top 100 RPI?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nice. AND to think we dropped 30 just stepping on the court against Central. Great recovery.

Hahahha. This is Exhibit A of why RPI don't mean dick right now. Win and move up 40 points.

Reaction Score
The RPI is pretty poor but it heavily weighs road wins and heavily discounts road losses. Incarnate Ward has played all 7 of their D1 opponents on the road. The fact that they have two true road wins is actually more than most teams.

The whole thing is stupid but there's part of your explanation for why UConn jumped 40 teams with a road win at unranked Texas.

Reaction Score
If you look through the RPI the whole thing is a joke. How does Incarnate Word have a 62 RPI? Only 2 of their wins have come against DI opponents. They are 2-5 against DI opponents. They are 0-3 vs RPI top 150. They played 2 games vs RPI top 50. Losing to Purdue and Oklahoma by 35 and 33 points. Their 2 DI wins were against St Johns (rpi 189) and Rice (rpi 245). They lost to Our Lady of the Lake (NAIA). They are 19 spots ahead of us? We could improve our RPI more by beating them then by beating 9-3 Memphis(rpi 127) who is 3-3 vs top 100 RPI?

It's a poopy formula, I hate it, it needs to go, but the explanation is that part of the calculation is playing on the road a lot, your opponents' opponents, and also that Purdue and Oklahoma are really good.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn can not schedule like it is still in the Big East. We scheduled 5 games against teams outside the RPI Top 200. I am optimistic that New Hampshire can climb up, but the other 4 are more likely to go down, except for Central, which can't get any worse. With teams like USF, UCF and Tulane in the conference, we can't schedule non-conference games against Maine, Lowell, Sacred Heart and Central CT. I know everyone loves Howie for what he did 25 years ago, but he has been mailing it in for years and we just can't play them any more.

We need more second tier A 10 and CAA teams, and fewer NEC teams no the schedule.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
UConn can not schedule like it is still in the Big East. We scheduled 5 games against teams outside the RPI Top 200. I am optimistic that New Hampshire can climb up, but the other 4 are more likely to go down, except for Central, which can't get any worse. With teams like USF, UCF and Tulane in the conference, we can't schedule non-conference games against Maine, Lowell, Sacred Heart and Central CT. I know everyone loves Howie for what he did 25 years ago, but he has been mailing it in for years and we just can't play them any more.

We need more second tier A 10 and CAA teams, and fewer NEC teams no the schedule.
Couldn't agree more. Ollie has done a great job with the top of the OOC schedule since he started, but he really needs to improve the middle and bottom. In fact this year there is actually no middle, just a top and a bottom. Need more teams from in the 100-200 range and much less of the 200+ guys.

No game against an Ivy this year which was surprising. Not sure I remember the last time that happened. Playing a top flight Ivy (preferably Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or even Columbia if need be) is always good for the RPI. I'd also like to see UConn renew the series with my alma mater BU. Ollie is a very smart guy and I think he'll adapt the schedule accordingly, but I'm hoping it's sooner than later.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. Ollie has done a great job with the top of the OOC schedule since he started, but he really needs to improve the middle and bottom. In fact this year there is actually no middle, just a top and a bottom. Need more teams from in the 100-200 range and much less of the 200+ guys.

No game against an Ivy this year which was surprising. Not sure I remember the last time that happened. Playing a top flight Ivy (preferably Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or even Columbia if need be) is always good for the RPI. I'd also like to see UConn renew the series with my alma mater BU. Ollie is a very smart guy and I think he'll adapt the schedule accordingly, but I'm hoping it's sooner than later.

There's often a lag in the schedule, so you are locking up home only or home and homes a year or two ahead. I think they'll get it ironed out over time.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We should probably look to schedule a series with Duke, UNC, or Kansas.

Reaction Score
When you have OOC games against Michigan, Ohio State, Syracuse, Texas, Gonzaga, Georgetown, and Maryland I don't know how you can complain. The RPI formula is a joke that's all, but we've definitely challenged ourselves early.

Reaction Score
We should probably look to schedule a series with Duke, UNC, or Kansas.
schedule em when we are in the ACC or Big12. My fantasy road trip is a school sponsored bus trip to Duke, NC and Wake. Then home!

Reaction Score
When you have OOC games against Michigan, Ohio State, Syracuse, Texas, Gonzaga, Georgetown, and Maryland I don't know how you can complain. The RPI formula is a joke that's all, but we've definitely challenged ourselves early.

It's a subtle thing. The games against the teams you mentioned are great -- those should be 7 Top 100, 4 Top 50 and 2-3 Top 25 teams. The problem is that every other OOC team is abysmal, the majority of which are sub-300.

Whether it's a joke or not, the RPI is one of the key factors the Committee uses to determine bids and seeding.

We would vastly improve our RPI without really hurting our development by replacing those sub-300 teams with teams in the 100-200 range.

We haven't become savvy enough about manipulating the RPI. It didn't matter when we were in the Big East. It can make or break seasons now that we're in the AAC.

Reaction Score

Losing to George Washington and St Louis doesn't do much for the RPI either.

Reaction Score

We would either need to be willing to do home-and-homes with CAA-level teams or accept the fact that home games generally have to be filled in with buy games from garbage teams.

Reaction Score
It's a subtle thing. The games against the teams you mentioned are great -- those should be 7 Top 100, 4 Top 50 and 2-3 Top 25 teams. The problem is that every other OOC team is abysmal, the majority of which are sub-300.

Whether it's a joke or not, the RPI is one of the key factors the Committee uses to determine bids and seeding.

We would vastly improve our RPI without really hurting our development by replacing those sub-300 teams with teams in the 100-200 range.

We haven't become savvy enough about manipulating the RPI. It didn't matter when we were in the Big East. It can make or break seasons now that we're in the AAC.

It's not going to make or break our season. C'mon.

Reaction Score
We would either need to be willing to do home-and-homes with CAA-level teams or accept the fact that home games generally have to be filled in with buy games from garbage teams.

There is not a single CAA team that would even bother to ask for a return game from us. We can buy home games from 200 RPI teams in the CAA or MAAC just as easily as we can buy games from 300 RPI teams in the NEC.

Reaction Score
There is not a single CAA team that would even bother to ask for a return game from us. We can buy home games from 200 RPI teams in the CAA or MAAC just as easily as we can buy games from 300 RPI teams in the NEC.

You get what you pay for, and I'm pretty sure CAA teams would want a LOT more than the teams we bring in. The CAA is way better than the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom