8 on 5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

8 on 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The Facey fouls annoy me the most because he's really upped his game lately. The offensive rebound and dunk was an unusually but much appreciated aggressive move.

Reaction Score
I will never say any team wins because of the refs. Bonehead freshman mistakes (yes even from our seniors), BUT when Our bigs got called for a foul every time they went up for a rebound in the second half, it 1 - keeps our already depleted bigs in the bench/play not aggressive enough, and 2 - stops any chance for for a break. Refs don't lose games, but they certainly made it tough with some questionable calls.

Ps I'd also agree our free throw disadvantage alone was mainly due to our guards not going attacking as much as they could have. The team scored 12 points in the first 3 minutes of the 2nd half, most on open jumpers. They continued to shoot despite missing everything for the following 8 minutes.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Blaming refs when you lose makes you a loser. We did not lose this game because of the refs. We lost because we have one guy who is a human turnover and hasn't improved one lick in 4 years. And because of the predicament we're in, he will be playing 35-40 minutes a night for the rest of the year.

Generally speaking that is true. However when you see : Fouls 27-12 and Free throws 34-9 it certainly opens it up to questioning the officiating. Those are radically skewed numbers.

Reaction Score
I remember when he stepped out to challenge the refs vs. Louisville 3/14 and Maryland 12/15, he was lambasted for being out of control and how dare he hurt the team's chances of winning.

No matter what he does, the guy can't win.

That's definitely not true in the Louisville case. He was universally supported following that outburst.

The Maryland one, the timing was just horrible.

And that's my complaint about KO and his poor understanding of how to manipulate the officials. You don't go from 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye once the officiating disparity has pushed past your breaking point. It has to be constant, methodical, and deliberate from the opening tip. He just doesn't grasp that, and it's cost us materially on the court. Furthermore, it's not apparent he's getting better at this subtle, but key aspect of college coaching.

Reaction Score
The refs knew damn well we had only 7 players and then proceeded to call every ticky tack rebounding foul aginst us at an alarming rate. It really made a difference from my point of view. Im not asking for any special favors because our situation but jeez it seemed like a one sided affair at times, almost specifically because of our situation.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I thought the reffing was terrible and when it almost took half a shot clock for the refs to notice the clock hadn't actually started sealed it for me. As a UConn fan the reffing was pretty frustrating. As a college basketball fan that game was atrocious. No one wants to watch a game where the refs blow the whistle every other time down the court.

and only on one side :)

if they called it consistently, it would be one of those 55 foul games with 50 free throws, 10 traveling calls and the game would run 2:45

"look at me, I have a whistle, I am somebody, and the people here really love me, they love me they really do"

Reaction Score
That's definitely not true in the Louisville case. He was universally supported following that outburst.

And that's my complaint about KO and his poor understanding of how to manipulate the officials. You don't go from 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye once the officiating disparity has pushed past your breaking point. It has to be constant, methodical, and deliberate from the opening tip. He just doesn't grasp that, and it's cost us materially on the court. Furthermore, it's not apparent he's getting better at this subtle, but key aspect of college coaching.
I completely agree. This has been my number issue with KO from the outset. JC was arguably the best coach in America with regard to working officials. Refs feared him and if a bad call went against us, he made damn sure we'd get a makeup call,or two soon after. I remember years when we'd routinely make more free throws than the other team would attempt. Now the other teams generally attempt more than we do. It's a combination of not getting the respect from officials and kids not playing defense effectively without fouling, both things fall on the coaches.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
can anyone confirm if Purvis was 10 feet inbounds when the ref said he didn't establish? We were in a bar, looked totally outrageous but perfect timing

Fouls 27-12
Free throws 34-9
Traveling 5-1?

and one mysterious out of bounds call on Purvis, an absolute crock of sh!!!!t
And an Adams palming when he passed it and didn't dribble

Reaction Score
We took 22 3's they took 18, so I don't want to hear about how they were so much more aggressive than we were. We were in a zone for at least half the game, they played man the entire game. There is no possible way under those circumstances, in a normal game, for the disparity to be 34-9 in free throws against the team playing zone. If it were 34-9 the other way around it would be unusual but possible; as it was this crew did the big 10 proud, and I'm sure they'll stay in favorable rotation.

As for those complaining about Jalen and even Purvis, please take note they both played 40 minutes. It's possible they were a little gassed in the second half, don't you think?

Reaction Score
I remember when he stepped out to challenge the refs vs. Louisville 3/14 and Maryland 12/15, he was lambasted for being out of control and how dare he hurt the team's chances of winning.

No matter what he does, the guy can't win.
No one really bashed him after he got tossed from the Louisville game - he was dealing with an incompetent ref who had a history of that type of crap. I think most UConn and media members defended Ollie and bashed the ref.

But he did get criticized after the Maryland game because his technicals literally cost them any chance of winning that game. He threw papers onto the court over a call that really wasn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. There went plenty of bad calls during that game he could've reacted to, but he waited till there wasn't enough time left for his team to recover.

It seems to be a theme that Ollie's teams don't get calls, and I think it goes beyond him being a young coach. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to work the refs earlier than the last 5 minutes of a game.

Reaction Score
Blaming refs when you lose makes you a loser. We did not lose this game because of the refs. We lost because we have one guy who is a human turnover and hasn't improved one lick in 4 years. And because of the predicament we're in, he will be playing 35-40 minutes a night for the rest of the year.

Again, stupid post. I'm good with the refs weren't the reason but only an fool wouldn't recognize the obvious and orin it on one guy instead. Get a grip man, so many errors in crunch time when we're still in it and it's all on Rodney? In other words it's more important to get your point across about Rodney than it is to relieve him a little of being the ONLY reason and discuss the inability to get a call? Well then you need to look at Jeln too because he traveled and palmed the ball a few times. Oh but those were bad calls so you can't blame him it;s all on Rodney, I get it my bad!

Reaction Score
The refs knew damn well we had only 7 players and then proceeded to call every ticky tack rebounding foul aginst us at an alarming rate. It really made a difference from my point of view. Im not asking for any special favors because our situation but jeez it seemed like a one sided affair at times, almost specifically because of our situation.

Like this, same thoughts I had when I did finally realize Durham was not there.

Reaction Score
Well I wouldn't call the Maryland technical "working the refs". KO lost it and threw papers off the media table and onto the court. There's a way to work officials and complain about calls. Throwing papers onto the court isn't that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom