8,183 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, and I wasn't trying to say that the issue is unique to UConn. FSU has a good team and they played in front of NO ONE at home against Minnesota on Monday. I was watching LSU last night and the building was completely empty (the game was about the quality of intramural basketball).

The thing is it wasn't THAT long ago when teams that weren't NCAA tournament teams would still have 14-15k in the building for a Fairfield.

It's an epidemic across the sport. A handful of teams now get the top recruits - 95% of the teams play a version of the game that isn't entertaining and the nature of March means that the regular season is meaningless for everyone but 15 bubble teams.

This isn't old man yells at cloud: The sport was a better watch 15-20 years ago.
Don't really think that's it. Everyone has a home theater experience at home now to watch the games on. I have a lot of friends in the "industry" and bars are empty during the week the last several years. Years ago I would go out to watch games on weeknights and the bars would be full with people watching all the college basketball games. We've become a bunch of shut-ins.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't really think that's it. Everyone has a home theater experience at home now to watch the games on. I have a lot of friends in the "industry" and bars are empty during the week the last several years. Years ago I would go out to watch games on weeknights and the bars would be full with people watching all the college basketball games. We've become a bunch of shut-ins.

I think that is part of it - there is a lot of competition. The NHL and NBA have much higher average ticket prices and their attendance hasn't fallen off a cliff like regular season CBB so it's not as though everyone has stayed home.

Reaction Score
LOL - I didn't go tonight because my father in law had a heart valve replacement this morning, I'll do better on Monday I promise. I didn't rip that guy BTW - I ripped the constant stream of posts from our so called die hard fans that refuse to do the simple thing and actually just get the stations that show the games.

BTW - If you are going to rip me - maybe you shouldn't be a handjob who tries to bully people into bets and then completely walks away when they lose. You have exactly zero ground to stand on if you want to try and rip people.
Struck a nerve. August went to the game and he's fat, you have no excuse.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
When you are fat low attendance is a boon to your comfort.

Lol.

I actually ate my 4th ticket tonight so I could have an extra seat for roominess. True story. Joke was on me though I could have given it away and had 5 extra seats anyway

Reaction Score
Lol.

I actually ate my 4th ticket tonight so I could have an extra seat for roominess. True story. Joke was on me though I could have given it away and had 5 extra seats anyway
You're still my hero.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lol.

Isn't the real villian @sdhusky who is here and couldn't be bothered to attend?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Where's the thread with whaler yelling at people for their lack of tv subscriptions I need a laugh.

Reaction Score
I think we should just stop playing at the XL center all together. Fill the stadium with students at gampel. I mean how many other teams in the country drive 30 minutes to play a home game? Never understood that. I watched the Duke game last night an the atmosphere there was nuts, it will never be even close to that at the XL center with a bunch of oldies an a handful of students that drove 30 minutes to a home game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think we should just stop playing at the XL center all together. Fill the stadium with students at gampel. I mean how many other teams in the country drive 30 minutes to play a home game? Never understood that. I watched the Duke game last night an the atmosphere there was nuts, it will never be even close to that at the XL center with a bunch of oldies an a handful of students that drove 30 minutes to a home game.
@Waquoit agrees I think?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
What's fun as well is going on the collegebasketball Reddit.

Most games we don't even get a game thread made, and a late post game thread gets posted with at most 15 comments. Meanwhile the P5 game threads are regularly pushing 300 comments.

Reaction Score
What's fun as well is going on the collegebasketball Reddit.

Most games we don't even get a game thread made, and a late post game thread gets posted with at most 15 comments. Meanwhile the P5 game threads are regularly pushing 300 comments.
Yeah i've noticed it's been pretty bare. But I think a lot of this has to do with our bad start. The only people from other teams coming on this thread are there to poke fun at how we've been performing on the court. Even an Alabama bball fan was giving us crap today. :(

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Where's the thread with whaler yelling at people for their lack of tv subscriptions I need a laugh.

Click on like 8 different threads.

I'm like a Russian hacker right now.

I'm watching UCLA and Riverside/Stanford and St Mary's and replying to you.

Am I Mr Robot?

FWIW - obviously Stanford never draws at home anywhere but the computer lab even hosting #12, but Pauley is completely empty.

It's hard to believe these conferences are getting the next huge TV contract if what they are selling is so bad no one shows up in person.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We were spoiled with the best college basketball conference for 34 years. Attendance was good because people actually cared.

No one gives a rat's arse about the 14-13 Tulane Green Wave going on the road to the battle the 5-20 East Carolina Pirates.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
We were spoiled with the best college basketball conference for 34 years. Attendance was good because people actually cared.

No one gives a rat's arse about the 14-13 Tulane Green Wave going on the road to the battle the 5-20 East Carolina Pirates.
Nor should they. Brand recognition and value are real things that equate to real dollars, and we had all of that stripped away from us without warning. If this wasn't the NCAA there'd be a class action lawsuit in the works.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Nor should they. Brand recognition and value are real things that equate to real dollars, and we had all of that stripped away from us without warning. If this wasn't the NCAA there'd be a class action lawsuit in the works.
Agree 100%. That's why the Big East pulls more fans than the AAC. Heck the Mountain West does too. I know for a fact basketball attendance would increase if we went to the Big East. Football attendance would probably increase too based off of the last game...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. That's why the Big East pulls more fans than the AAC. Heck the Mountain West does too. I know for a fact basketball attendance would increase if we went to the Big East. Football attendance would probably increase too based off of the last game...

I don't think anyone would argue that attendance would better in the Big East. That concept makes me miss when upstater was trying to argue the AAC was a better basketball conference than the newest Big East.

Reaction Score

Its only going to get worse as technology progresses. Instead of watching with friends and family in the comfort of a living room everyone will be strapped up to some VR headset or some other like contraption. Good times ahead.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone would argue that attendance would better in the Big East. That concept makes me miss when upstater was trying to argue the AAC was a better basketball conference than the newest Big East.
That argument was always dumber than dirt. Outside of UConn there are three teams in this godforsaken conference that have any sort of hoops history or name recognition. Cincy, Temple and Memphis. Every team in the Big East does.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That argument was always dumber than dirt. Outside of UConn there are three teams in this godforsaken conference that have any sort of hoops history or name recognition. Cincy, Temple and Memphis. Every team in the Big East does.

Upstater's hatred of Creighton is so unhinged I love it. It's enjoyable to see them in the top 10.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
it was ugly

Reaction Score
My issue is ticket availability. I check online for tickets regularly. There are none available in lower bowl at both gampel and XL unless you go on stubhub and pay at least triple face value. I know these are season tixs and many of those seats are empty at game time. I would buy these seats if reasonable priced.
Upper level are at least 15 rows up at XL. Gampel upper level chair backs are season tixs also.
I would rather watch on TV if I have to sit that high up for lousy match ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom