7th grader verbals to Texas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

7th grader verbals to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is hyperbole. All you can state confidently is that it's highly unlikely to be...

I have had significant interaction with a 10-year old boy(!) who is confident, considerate, perceptive, social, self-aware, and thoughtful. Is fun to be around. Knows what he wants to do when he gets out on his own (he's already mostly "grown up") and has started a planned campaign to prepare himself for it.

Everybody's chemistry matures at different rates. Obviously he's 4 or 5 standard deviations out, but if he can be such a person at that age, I'd say the odds a woman could be such a person when two years older are more than somewhat higher.
Really good point.
I have travelled fairly extensively outside the US and there is a noticeable difference in the way children are raised in the US and foreign parts - what follows is a generalization and there are obviously lots of exceptions to the rule in the US, but ...

Generally other cultures socialize much more across generations - it is not unusual to be at gatherings that include age ranges from 10 through 85 and those gatherings do not break apart into age groups but remain homogenous. There is not a kids table or a kids room and children are expected to interact intelligently with adults and because of the expectation (and the habit) they do. And it is not just private settings but carries over to lots of public settings as well. And you also see more children at adult events - classical concerts, serious plays, museums.

I suspect your 10 year old has grown up in an environment where he has both been listened to and solicited by adults for his opinion frequently. He does not have the experience of an older person to bring to his opinions, but he has learned to think for himself because he has been asked to. And I suspect his family has exposed him to a broader range of experience than what generally is considered children's fare.

Reaction Score
Well she's old enough to be evaluated as the #1 player in the 2020 class by ASGR, so I guess she's old enough to be offered a scholarship to a college and old enough to accepted that offer and commit to play for said college. Now whether she stays #1 remains to be seen, but she's likely to still go to UT either way. Karen Aston is under a TON of pressure to restore glory to UT's women's wcbb program and if it means offering an elite 7th grader and getting her locked up 6 years before she'd actually play (so she doesn't end up at Baylor or A&M), then why not? Especially since her father is a Texas alum. I don't think many of you would be whining if Mo'ne Davis committed tomorrow. #calmdown

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"And a little child shall lead them". How old are Rebecca's girls? We should be getting verbals from them soon, no? Don't want to blow THAT one!!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I hope Texas starts giving irrevocable acceptances in utero. Then 20 years from now they'll be so screwed up we won't have to worry about competing with anybody but Baylor in the Lone Star State.
I heard there were some frozen eggs committed to Texas, just waiting to be inseminated....

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Well, you have no insight on this particular family, nor the Texas coaching staff; that part is obvious. You can be as pessimistic as you want, but your pessimism is based on factors or other situations that have nothing to do with Texas.

There is no precedent of this coaching staff pulling scholarships (that we know of). We have verbal commitments from two 2017 players, one of who is a former Lady Longhorn hoopster's daughter, and a 2018 player. Time will tell if those players end up signing their LOIs when the time comes. If they do, it will validate that it wasn't "too early" for them to have made their verbal commitments 3-4 years in advance of NSD.

In November, we will have two 2015 recruits who will sign their LOIs after having been committed to Texas for over 2 years. So, that is a pretty long time, IMO, and it appears everything will work out for said recruits and the coaching staff that recruited them.

In my opinion no responsible basketball coach should accept the commitment of a child of this girl's age and educational status. It's an astonishing joke and makes me think a lot less of the University of Texas women's basketball program.

Reaction Score
I've identified a class of 2032 UCONN candidate...seems to excel at guarding the post...I can help with this one, Geno...;)
10537046_10204432881763314_3909820480236721536_n.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've identified a class of 2032 UCONN candidate...seems to excel at guarding the post...I can help with this one, Geno...;)
10537046_10204432881763314_3909820480236721536_n.jpg

Cute kid. Not sure about her height though. Needs to put on some weight too.

Reaction Score
In my opinion no responsible basketball coach should accept the commitment of a child of this girl's age and educational status. It's an astonishing joke and makes me think a lot less of the University of Texas women's basketball program.

Agree 100%. It has serious potential to end badly and possibly traumatize the kid.

Reaction Score
She's ranked #1 for the c/o 2020 by ASGR.

Keep in mind those sisters from Michigan were both ranked #1 before HS for the classes of 2015 & 2016 by ASGR around this time. Now they're at #55 for the 2015-er by ASGR and #39 for the 2016-er by PN.

And doesn't Texas already have a verbal from the #1 c/o 2018 prospect, a 6'4" kid name Charlie Collier (sp?).

I'm surprised Texas wasn't in the mix for any elite bigs for 2015, namely 6'7" McCowan, 6'5" Brown, and 6'4" Hearn. They have a great backcourt with '14 Atkins and McCarty along with '15 Higgs and Hosey. If they lock up Cox and Mulkey they'll be a contender.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I know, right?

Although, I have to say that mini chick has already decided that she wants to play for UConn. I think she decided a couple months before she turned 4. :D

She starts her new session of basketball in a few weeks.

That is great! So we already have a jump-start on 2028! With the mini chick at the point and Rebecca's girls on the boards, we could win so many NCs that they would have to retire the trophy!

Reaction Score
I know, right?

Although, I have to say that mini chick has already decided that she wants to play for UConn. I think she decided a couple months before she turned 4. :D

She starts her new session of basketball in a few weeks.
MC may want to reevaluate if she can get a $10K/Yr allowance from Texas

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
C''mon. You know that stuff is not for girls. It is for the revenue-producing manly sports. And by 2028, $10k will prolly be for the community colleges.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
That is great! So we already have a jump-start on 2028! With the mini chick at the point and Rebecca's girls on the boards, we could win so many NCs that they would have to retire the trophy!

Sounds like a plan! :cool:

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
MC may want to reevaluate if she can get a $10K/Yr allowance from Texas

MC says that she loves money but she loves winning a whole lot more. And I mean... she loves money. She put a hat down on the kitchen floor and was dancing near it and telling me that I needed to pay her. LOL. But if she can't be swayed by the stipend, that's gotta mean something. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom