7 Kentucky players declare | The Boneyard

7 Kentucky players declare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In a press conference Towns, Cauley-Stein, Lyles, Booker, Dakari Johnson, and the Harrisons declare for the draft.

Reaction Score
Those are their top 7 scorers from this season. Kentucky returns just 3 players with any sort of experience (Ulis, Poythress, Marcus Lee), and have just 3 recruits signed up so far for next season. Now granted, Cal can probably get another few top recruits to commit for next year... but if he wanted to jump to the NBA like his player, now may be the time.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my behalf, though. I'd love if he left for the NBA and Briscoe opened up his recruitment again. His final three was UK, St. John's, and UConn. If Cal left for the NBA, we'd be the only team in his final three who still has their head coach.

Reaction Score
Is there any smoke around Cal and the NBA?

He's had a ton of talent, and has come up short 3 of the last 4 times he's been to the final four. He followed up his last title with a first round loss in the NIT (sadly familiar for us).

Seemed like 5-10 kids from the McD's AA roster were undecided and waiting on the draft announcements coming out of Kentucky. He'll have 8 quality players next year. They'll be young and inexperienced, but talented.

Reaction Score
WOW!!! ... Calipari is awesome!

Their HS and AAU coaches developed these kids more than this pond-scum. If anything, most have regressed.

Reaction Score
Those are their top 7 scorers from this season. Kentucky returns just 3 players with any sort of experience (Ulis, Poythress, Marcus Lee), and have just 3 recruits signed up so far for next season. Now granted, Cal can probably get another few top recruits to commit for next year... but if he wanted to jump to the NBA like his player, now may be the time.
Ulis still has Lee and Poythress to throw lobs to, so I still think Kentucky could be a solid team next year. But calling their roster thin at the moment is an understatement.

Reaction Score
Since I only really saw much of them during the tourney, can anyone who watched during the season fill me in on Booker? I felt the Harrisons arent necessarily going to be great NBA players, but Andrew looked pretty good to me with the ball and shooting, so I think he can find a spot. I really didn't see Booker do much that shows why he can jump to the NBA. I look at a guy like James Young who looked great to me when we beat them, and he's barely playing even though he ended up on the Celtics which you'd think would be one of the best places for him to land and play immediately.

Is it just that the vast majority of these Kentucky kids shouldn't be expected to produce at the next level for 2-3 years after being drafted? Seems like aside from the clearly dominant bigs, their pro guys havent really been superstars

Reaction Score
WOW!!! ... Calipari is awesome!

Their HS and AAU coaches developed these kids more than this pond-scum. If anything, most have regressed.

Should he forbid them from entering the draft?

These kids have dreamed of going to the NBA, and now they are gonna get their shot. I don't like Calipari, but calling him pond scum for taking players who anyone in the country would have gladly taken (Even Bo Ryan - see Diamond Stone), is really stoopid.

Reaction Score
Is it just that the vast majority of these Kentucky kids shouldn't be expected to produce at the next level for 2-3 years after being drafted? Seems like aside from the clearly dominant bigs, their pro guys havent really been superstars

Expecting them to be "superstars" is a really high threshold. They're competing with the best players in the world. The NBA superstars tend to play for over a decade, unlike the college superstars who are only a superstar in college for one or two years. Anyone who's left college, and has lasted more than 3 years in the league should be considered a success story. I think some college fans really don't understand how insanely talented NBA players are (and how hard many of them work).

Reaction Score
So the twins and Dakari johnson are clearly not ready for the NBA. Most likely none of them will be first round picks. Why are they declaring again? Wouldnt this be a bit of a warning to future recruits? LIke at the end of all the hype you have a 50% chance of leaving early to be a second round pick?

Edit: I mean Amida could be a second round pick in this draft if he declared no? Maybe even Daniel Hamilton. Whats the point of doing that when you still have 2 years of eligiblity left?

Reaction Score
Since I only really saw much of them during the tourney, can anyone who watched during the season fill me in on Booker? I felt the Harrisons arent necessarily going to be great NBA players, but Andrew looked pretty good to me with the ball and shooting, so I think he can find a spot. I really didn't see Booker do much that shows why he can jump to the NBA. I look at a guy like James Young who looked great to me when we beat them, and he's barely playing even though he ended up on the Celtics which you'd think would be one of the best places for him to land and play immediately.

Booker is really skilled offensively and has a great jumpshot and good height for a shooting guard. By NBA standards he is an average to almost below average athlete and needs to add strength. I guess I could see Andrew Harrison make a roster but I don't expect the other one to last in the NBA.

Reaction Score
So the twins and Dakari johnson are clearly not ready for the NBA. Most likely none of them will be first round picks. Why are they declaring again? Wouldnt this be a bit of a warning to future recruits? LIke at the end of all the hype you have a 50% chance of leaving early to be a second round pick?
My guess is the twins realized they have maxed out as players and I have a feeling Calipari didn't want them back, he's giving the keys to Ulis. The only impact NBA players I see out of all these guys is Towns and Lyles.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hmm fluke of time or the Squid about to follow his MO and ride out of town ahead of the posse?
ianpahnm.jpg

Reaction Score

Pretty much hype/"potential" gets them drafted. And when you consistently get the 5 of the top 10 players in the country you are going to put some amazingly good players in the NBA. I think teams just want in on the chance that maybe they'll get the next big time player that just used Kentucky as a stop gap between high school and college? But yea, there are lot of Daniel Orton types that went through Kentucky too.

Reaction Score
I don't see the logic in Johnson and the Harrison twins declaring if they are projected 2nd round picks. Especially Johnson, with Cauley-Stein and Towns gone, he has a good chance to be the man at the #5 and could potentially catapult his stock.

I'm with you doesnt make sense. I can kinda see if with the Twins, i believe Calipari told Ulis its his team next year, so that could be taken to mean the twins would take a back seat to Ulis? I think they would be better off going Kyle Wiltjers route though. Sit out a year and transfer and land somewhere else with still 2 years of eligibility where you will get the PT and some team would be more than happy to have you.

Reaction Score
And they'll be ranked in the top 5 preseason this fall.

Reaction Score
That is a lot of turnover. Feel like it's going to be 2013 all over again for them, but they do at least return some decent players in Ulis and Lee (and maybe Poythress).

Reaction Score
I still have to laugh at how that doesnt affect their APR. How many players graduate per year from that basketball team on average since Calipari has been there?

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Only 7?

What about the rest of the guys?

Calipari couldn't get them ready to declare in one year?

What's the point of going to One-And-Done University if you have to go back for a second (or even a third) year?

He must suck as a coach.

Reaction Score
This guy's the classic villain, I love it:

So they have Briscoe, Labissier and some third dude I've never heard of coming in. I'm sure they'll have no problem getting Labissier eligible since he's not playing at UConn. Watch him lock up Jaylen Brown, Newman and a big, Zimmerman maybe.

Reaction Score
I really think Cal will be coaching the Cavs. Lebron doesn't like Blatt and is on a 1 yr. deal so he can dictate who the coach is. Lebron and Cal are friends. Cal is supposed to be itching to redeem himself in the league. It makes too much sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom