7 and 4 from Phil | The Boneyard

7 and 4 from Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't win without that contribution. Enoch needs to get some burn while AB is out, but KO should be ready to put PN in quickly if needed. PN has always been a serviceable+ type of player.

Reaction Score
Enoch was completely lost defensively when he was in there tonight. I give Ollie credit for quickly realizing this and going to Phil

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Seems like Phil is making good on his minutes. Looking very good lately. Foul shooting is right on.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Love it when a guy like Phil goes out there and has a pretty good game. He came on board during our darkest hour and has been a loyal Husky the whole way, accepting his role and being a team player. I'm genuinely really happy for him.

Reaction Score
The thing that frustrates me with Nolan is he actually has some good offensive moves, but when he beats his man its like he's surprised it happened and then just chucks it up. Overall though he's put together some good performances over the last few games

Reaction Score
That post move was a thing of beauty. very nice game for him.

Reaction Score
Exceptional game for Nolan. He always has an excellent sense of positioning on both offense (screening) and defense (hedging and drawing charges), but whenever the ball comes near him it's usually a disaster. Not so tonight.

If we can get that kind of performance from him, it'll be a huge boost with Brimah out.

Reaction Score
Phil's tip in was huge 2nd half. He had a chance at one in the first half when he should have caught it and dropped it back in but instead played volleyball and missed everything while all alone. He more than made up for it, he actually defended Goodwin fine too but Goodwin was making shots. He moved his feet and forced him to make a couple bankers, got his hand in his face but Goodwin just got the better of us down low. All in all a great game by Phil and his timing could not have been better.

Reaction Score
Nolan, who specializes in smart, if not spectacular defensive play, never mopes or sulks.

"I go to practice, I practice as hard as I can," Nolan said, "and when I get in a game, whether things are going my way or not, I play as hard as I can. Eventually, something has to work out for you. There's no point in moping. I'm in a great situation, I go to one of the top universities in the nation, I mean, I'm just happy to be here."

Said Sterling Gibbs: "Phil, honestly, he is what UConn symbolizes. He's making sure he's doing what's best for the team. Phil started on the national championship team, and now he's coming off the bench and he knows his role, knows what he has to do. Some people wouldn't accept that. He's accepted it and done a great job. He's happy to be here — and I'm happy to have him as a teammate."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nolan, who specializes in smart, if not spectacular defensive play, never mopes or sulks.

"I go to practice, I practice as hard as I can," Nolan said, "and when I get in a game, whether things are going my way or not, I play as hard as I can. Eventually, something has to work out for you. There's no point in moping. I'm in a great situation, I go to one of the top universities in the nation, I mean, I'm just happy to be here."

Said Sterling Gibbs: "Phil, honestly, he is what UConn symbolizes. He's making sure he's doing what's best for the team. Phil started on the national championship team, and now he's coming off the bench and he knows his role, knows what he has to do. Some people wouldn't accept that. He's accepted it and done a great job. He's happy to be here — and I'm happy to have him as a teammate."

That attitude will take him much further off the court than on the court.

So few workers are willing to acknowledge and live the grind.

Or as Navy SEALS say, " Embrace The Suck."

Show up, do your best, listen to your bosses, try to improve. Go to bed. Wake up. Repeat.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Enoch was completely lost defensively when he was in there tonight. I give Ollie credit for quickly realizing this and going to Phil
I really can't believe how bad Enoch is defensively. Lost is exactly right. Has absolutely no idea where he is supposed to be on the floor or what he is supposed to do. I genuinely do not understand how it's possible that he has gotten to this level without even the most basic understanding of defense.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'll forgive him for missing the rim by 3 feet from 5 feet away ;)

Reaction Score
Phil is Phil. He had a nice game last night, very aggressive and effective. Other nights he will look bewildered. Pick up fouls at an alarming rate. And draw the ire of the BY. If his good games outnumber his bad ones, this will be very helpful in the absence of Brimah.

Reaction Score
By the way, Phil is having fun. He's been fortunate to enjoy all 4 years of playing college basketball. Many players concern themselves with stats, NBA aspirations, starting, etc.. Phil is able to be free, fun and care free all the while busting his arse for the good of the team.

With that said Phil is also a fighter, never backing down from a threat or perceived fight. He may not be an enforcer but he always has his teammates back.

Reaction Score
I've been critical of him also. Last night he was excellent.

Reaction Score
I'm if yhe opinion we should pound the ball down low. Miller, Facey, Enoch abd Phil have a few moves.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I've been hard on Phil. Last night he made most plays when he was presented with them, nothing extraordinarily great, except for taking that charge. He missed what was virtually a layup... can't seem to hit from close. But had a nice post move layup. I still think Enoch could do more for this team offensively (he has the athleticism to play the Brimah role in alley oops from Hamilton) but Nolan is better defensively right now.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nolan, along with DBev, Shamon Tooles, and Boo Willingham are my favorite all-time role players for UConn. They're all team-first guys who didn't pout when they didn't get the spotlight, stayed out of trouble, and bled Husky Blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom