#6 Stanford @ #13 Oregon - 2/15/21 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

#6 Stanford @ #13 Oregon - 2/15/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Credit to Oregon for hanging tough but seemed like Stanford should have put this game away. Stanford needs to put the hammer down.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't think I'd want to play Oregon come tournament time.
Nobody will. Lots of matchup problems. However, despite their size they're really like a lot of other teams. By that I mean if they hit a lot of threes they can be in a game til the end with anybody. Almost 50% tonight from three. 10 of them. We've had a couple teams do that to us too.

Reaction Score
Nobody will. Lots of matchup problems. However, despite their size they're really like a lot of other teams. By that I mean if they hit a lot of threes they can be in a game til the end with anybody. Almost 50% tonight from three. 10 of them. We've had a couple teams do that to us too.
Oregon is young. Only two seniors and a slew of freshmen.

Reaction Score
Man I love Brink. She’s going to be so good. If I’m looking in my crystal ball she goes 2nd behind Bueckers in the WNBA draft she can be that special.
Did Brink visit UConn? I thought I saw a picture of her and Geno at one time, if she picked UConn I could definitely see her starting at the 4 by now.

Sabally had a few good moments earlier in the season, it’s a bit of a gamble but if given the choice I might take her over Collier if she was to declare this season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I dropped her long before this game. Way too inconsistent and too many disappearing acts.
Do you mean the Jones who was to be a can't miss star? Well, at least it was predicted by some BY posters. Maybe she will get there.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Sports Center just now about this game "You basically could've hit somebody in the head w/ a hammer for 3 quarters with no foul." Good, others saw it as well.
Now will people believe me? Missy calls the worst ticky tack fouls but lets so much contact go. Every game where she's a ref, the refs alter the game. It drives me bananas.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Another post to help Brink. Fran is too small against most teams, and Jones just disappears way too often. Games like this she’s taking up space or forcing it to overcompensate. Luckily, it didn’t come back to bite.
Prechtel was out this game on concussion protocol. She could have gotten some minutes.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
As ragged as the offense is (Arizona State north?), and despite the turnovers and the frequency with which passes are ill-advised and/or go to the other team, I think the game was a step in the right direction for an Oregon squad that seemed to have completely lost its confidence over the past weeks--mainly because tonight some players (who haven't been) hit some shots. And this is not a matter of poor shooters miraculously getting hot but good shooters taking small steps toward being the shooters they had been in past seasons. Although I am more optimistic/positive about Sabally than some/many here, this was certainly one of her worst games. She is too often a turnover machine (as was her sister at times--even now in the WNBA), needs to finish better around the rim, pass better, etc., etc., but I believe she is very aware of her weaknesses and has another year to work on what she needs to before she will be eligible for the WNBA draft. (I think she will need 2 if she is to fulfill what I see as her considerable potential.)

As for Stanford, Jones has indeed been a disappointment (I was one of the posters who predicted stardom this year), while Brink has been all one could wish and more. Tara is a hall of fame coach and her teams are always very good defensively, but they tend to fall short offensively. Past teams have seemed to me overly reliant upon a single scorer (sometimes two)--recently, Brittany McPhee three years ago, Alana Smith the year after, and Kiana Williams and Lexie Hull last year--and that, in turn, has led to long scoring droughts. I thought this year would be different given all the talent, but, so far, the offense still seems to me less than the sum of its parts.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tara is a hall of fame coach and her teams are always very good defensively, but they tend to fall short offensively. Past teams have seemed to me overly reliant upon a single scorer (sometimes two)--recently, Brittany McPhee three years ago, Alana Smith the year after, and Kiana Williams and Lexie Hull last year--and that, in turn, has led to long scoring droughts. I thought this year would be different given all the talent, but, so far, the offense still seems to me less than the sum of its parts.
Many of the games I've seen this year, they start the game running textbook offense. Crisp passing leading to wide open 3's or layups. By late in the game that completely disappears, and it's mostly iso for Williams or Jones. The early O leads to big leads and the late game O lets their opponent back in it, has happened quite a few times.

Reaction Score
As ragged as the offense is (Arizona State north?), and despite the turnovers and the frequency with which passes are ill-advised and/or go to the other team, I think the game was a step in the right direction for an Oregon squad that seemed to have completely lost its confidence over the past weeks--mainly because tonight some players (who haven't been) hit some shots. And this is not a matter of poor shooters miraculously getting hot but good shooters taking small steps toward being the shooters they had been in past seasons. Although I am more optimistic/positive about Sabally than some/many here, this was certainly one of her worst games. She is too often a turnover machine (as was her sister at times--even now in the WNBA), needs to finish better around the rim, pass better, etc., etc., but I believe she is very aware of her weaknesses and has another year to work on what she needs to before she will be eligible for the WNBA draft. (I think she will need 2 if she is to fulfill what I see as her considerable potential.)

As for Stanford, Jones has indeed been a disappointment (I was one of the posters who predicted stardom this year), while Brink has been all one could wish and more. Tara is a hall of fame coach and her teams are always very good defensively, but they tend to fall short offensively. Past teams have seemed to me overly reliant upon a single scorer (sometimes two)--recently, Brittany McPhee three years ago, Alana Smith the year after, and Kiana Williams and Lexie Hull last year--and that, in turn, has led to long scoring droughts. I thought this year would be different given all the talent, but, so far, the offense still seems to me less than the sum of its parts.
And I bet your take on Prince is the same as mine. I expected more.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Something that occurred to me watching last night’s game is the roster depth of both teams and how that relates to the coming logjam in WBB. Other than a few dozen top players headed to the pros, teams across the country, like OR, Stanford, UConn and many others are going to have to manage a situation when players want to come back for a 5th or 6th season because this year doesn’t count towards eligibility, new recruits are coming in and the NCAA has implemented liberal transfer rules.

As one example consider the situation of 5th year player Erin Boley. Does she come back for a 6th season at Oregon? Does Kelly Graves even want her for a 6th season or is he looking to give her minutes to a younger player next year? Graves decision could result in either Boley or a younger player seeking PT elsewhere.

This type of decision will play out all over the country, in both WBB and MBB, and it will play out for up to 4 seasons as the logjam created by the extra year of eligibility this season works itself out. We’re heading for a Brave New World.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Minus the turnovers both teams played relatively well, given they both seem to be excellent defensive teams. You get the sense though that neither has quite found its groove, which I would say is more concerning for Stanford than Oregon given their (relatively) more experienced lineup.

Something I do wonder for people who follow both teams more closely--there is A LOT of talent on both rosters, enough that it seems both coaches were rotating players in and out constantly. Yet, minus a few players on each team (Williams, Brink, Lexie Hull for Stanford--and you can see the potential in Jones; Paopao, Sabally, despite her flaws, for Oregon), they all seemed a bit interchangeable to me. While that's great from a depth perspective, do you think that hurts from a consistency perspective? In that, you're never quite sure who will show up, and there are almost too many lineup variations to try?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How does DeBerry compare to Brink?
Personally I think Brink is slightly better than DeBerry more range on the jump shot.
Do you mean the Jones who was to be a can't miss star? Well, at least it was predicted by some BY posters. Maybe she will get there.
I don't think they were talking about Jones. Haley Jones was hurt for most of her Freshman season. She was a POY candidate earlier this season when Stanford was ranked #1. Stardom was predicted by BY like me for her if she had attended UCONN. On this UCONN roster she would be the best wing player and UCONN would never have had interest in transfers like Dijonai Carrington.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did Brink visit UConn? I thought I saw a picture of her and Geno at one time, if she picked UConn I could definitely see her starting at the 4 by now.

Sabally had a few good moments earlier in the season, it’s a bit of a gamble but if given the choice I might take her over Collier if she was to declare this season.
Brink did visit UCONN it was on the same weekend that Haley Jones also visited UCONN both players had played in the Boo Williams tournament down in VA and then came north after. Unfortunately it appears that it was more of a convenience proximity (we are in the neighbor hood) type visit for both since those players decided to stay home. Stanford admissions is hard for UCONN to compete with and UCONN appears to have finished 2nd for both Jones and Boston from that class-still stinging!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice comeback, but not good enough for Oregon. It was like the battle of the Titans with the unusual height on both teams, with numerous players 6'4" - 6'7"! Very sloppy, however, with a ton of turnovers and missed foul shots. Brink impressed me most!

Reaction Score
Something that occurred to me watching last night’s game is the roster depth of both teams and how that relates to the coming logjam in WBB. Other than a few dozen top players headed to the pros, teams across the country, like OR, Stanford, UConn and many others are going to have to manage a situation when players want to come back for a 5th or 6th season because this year doesn’t count towards eligibility, new recruits are coming in and the NCAA has implemented liberal transfer rules.

As one example consider the situation of 5th year player Erin Boley. Does she come back for a 6th season at Oregon? Does Kelly Graves even want her for a 6th season or is he looking to give her minutes to a younger player next year? Graves decision could result in either Boley or a younger player seeking PT elsewhere.

This type of decision will play out all over the country, in both WBB and MBB, and it will play out for up to 4 seasons as the logjam created by the extra year of eligibility this season works itself out. We’re heading for a Brave New World.
Boley and Giomi won't come back. Only two seniors on that team are done after this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom