6 games in | The Boneyard

6 games in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's what it looks like we have 6 games in:

Boat - Has been real good. Put last night aside has been better than I thought he would be at the point.

Brimah - He's basically the same player with more minutes. He didn't get much better at anything except he can throw it in the hole on occasion and they make sure they find him for the dunks. His positioning is still clueless on both ends for the most part and on defense minus the shot blocking he leaves people open a lot. He can't rebound unless he's almost alone and doesn't work at all to get O rebounds. He has a long way to go but is a keeper.

Hamilton - A real good get, will be a great one. Needs more confidence shooting it when he gets it open sometimes, but can get to the hole and make plays. Has been better than anticipated on defense although on gets lost on occasion. Needs to want the ball coming down the stretch more. Go-to guys are just natural and he is that guy but doesn't seem to know it.

TSam - A nice 7th, 8th guy with energy. He's playing too much and that will kill us. He needs to be that defensive replacement, a breather for Boat and/or the other 2G. He's not good on O, can't shoot and makes them even more reliant on Ham and Boat when he's in. His role is what we saw last year, any more than that we're in trouble. For those who feel he can run that team at some point please take a deeper look, if it happens yikes.

Purvis - What can we say? The jury is out. He played in the ACC and basically got 10 a game so there's something there. The problem may be is that NC State could rebound and get out on transition to facilitate his game and we can't even out rebound Yale, nor can anyone throw an outlet pass. I guess we'll see if the Ferrari can race again soon!

Facey - The kid has improved but as someone mentioned and I've been hesitant to say, he should be the 1st guy off the bench to replace a big guy. He can rebound, minus last night where he was schooled. He is athletic but can't shoot it on the move and can't put it on the floor. He may or may not improve on those but for now when our lineup has he and TSam in it, it's 3 on 5.

Nolan - He hasn't gotten any better offensively, thought he might be able to step out and hit a 12 footer but no signs yet, although he's only taken 1. He plays solid D but doesn't rebound and now even I admit the charge i way too much of his defensive arsenal. Lack of improvement on O by the bigs is killing our offensive chemistry.

Sam Jr - Played better last night and made shots but is slow afoot on D noticeably. We needed to get him more looks last night and less against Texas and some of that is on the coaching. He is another very nice bench player unless he can somehow get much quicker. He is very creative with the ball and smart but can't get space too often. And he got played last night on the last shot.

Rock - Doghouse? I don't care how much he needs to learn if he wasn't in the doghouse he would've seen minutes. Facey and Nolan couldn't move Sears or anyone for that matter so even if he came into manhandle someone it would've been nice. He obviously has a long way to go but that's okay. 4 year guys are great but he was sulking last night on the sidelines so we'll see.

This team can become something eventually but first it has to become a team. There is little passing outside the guards and perimeter leaving them an easy team to guard. Heck Yale had no problem making our shots difficult imagine Duke? Not sure where this season will take us, I was never too high but now I admit to the hill being a bit too high of this team to climb possibly. That's okay it will be fun to see some find their way and improve. And heck UConn teams traditionally never give up and find a way right? I guess we'll see!

Reaction Score
did you watch Ollie's post game press conference last night?
I can't find the video anywhere but i watched it live.

I've never seen Ollie talk like that before.
basically seemed like he was Disgusted with this team and basically
wanted to call them a bunch of Losers.
he said he, himself, wasn't a loser and then paused for a few seconds...
and said the team isn't a loser either.
iono but i definitely don't like the direction of this team.
I Love Ollie and Boat but i really am starting to dislike this year's team.

Reaction Score
did you watch Ollie's post game press conference last night?
I can't find the video anywhere but i watched it live.

I've never seen Ollie talk like that before.
basically seemed like he was Disgusted with this team and basically
wanted to call them a bunch of Losers.
he said he, himself, wasn't a loser and then paused for a few seconds...
and said the team isn't a loser either.
iono but i definitely don't like the direction of this team.
I Love Ollie and Boat but i really am starting to dislike this year's team.

You must not mean you "dislike" this team but maybe don't enjoy the way they are playing or not playing together right?

I like the kids but they are all searching for an identity and without that there will be no chemistry. Plus so many need to get so much better at their crafts as the season progresses it leaves a lot of holes.

Reaction Score
no, i mean i don't like certain players on this team.
is Calhoun even on this team? i haven't seen him take the court yet?
is he hurt? oh he's on scholarship to play ball and he's not hurt?
well why isn't he playing?
i think Ollie wants to know the answer to that too.

then you have Nolan missing dunks, flopping, smiling at the camera, during a game, while uconn is losing.

yes, i certainly dislike some of these players.

Reaction Score
no, i mean i don't like certain players on this team.
is Calhoun even on this team? i haven't seen him take the court yet?
is he hurt? oh he's on scholarship to play ball and he's not hurt?
well why isn't he playing?
i think Ollie wants to know the answer to that too.

then you have Nolan missing dunks, flopping, smiling at the camera, during a game, while uconn is losing.

yes, i certainly dislike some of these players.

You need to reconsider posting unless you are like 10 years old or something. Then your parents need to consider keeping you off the computer. Or just grow up I guess!

Reaction Score
why cause i don't agree with you?
well, you must be a republican.

Reaction Score
why cause i don't agree with you?
well, you must be a republican.

No because you're a dope! Go away if you have nothing to say that's any good. They picked yesterday we all know that, there are issues. But not liking guys and saying everyone sucks makes you pitiful not the team.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You need to reconsider posting unless you are like 10 years old or something. Then your parents need to consider keeping you off the computer. Or just grow up I guess!
idk if he's writing a poem or not, that's how im reading his posts, expecting them to rhyme

Reaction Score
Boat was good in the firs few games but during the losing streak he has had trouble.

He held two games in his hand from the foul line and let both get away. Didn't hit a single three in any of the losses. He is 20% from behind the arc for the season. He had charged into the lane and turned the ball over at inopportune times. He has 18 TOs to 26 assists. He has been slow to initiate the half court offense by pounding the ball on the perimeter.

Yes, he is our best player and our leader but he doesn't escape the recent slum with "he has been real good."

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Agreed with most of your assessment. It sure looks like Boat, D Ham, and Brimah (although hes still very much a project) and a bunch of guys who shouldnt be getting major minutes for a high major. What's really concerning
Is that it seems to be a talent issue just as much as a mental/inexperience issue. Our last really bad team was 06-07 there was tons of raw talent they just werent mentally tough enough yet and inexperienced so there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Reaction Score
Boat was good in the firs few games but during the losing streak he has had trouble.

He held two games in his hand from the foul line and let both get away. Didn't hit a single three in any of the losses. He is 20% from behind the arc for the season. He had charged into the lane and turned the ball over at inopportune times. He has 18 TOs to 26 assists. He has been slow to initiate the half court offense by pounding the ball on the perimeter.

Yes, he is our best player and our leader but he doesn't escape the recent slum with "he has been real good."

He was 7-8 in the Texas game and again they couldn't make a shot as a team down the stretch so it made the 2nd of the 1-1 end up being important. He was good in the game though and it shouldn't always come down to it. Then again the miss last night was killer and I wasn't even talking about that when I said he wasn't very good. He's not a good shooter like Bazz but it doesn't help for him no one else is either. You have to account for the fact Bazz had Boat next to him and both caused pain to the other teams defense all the time. So in turn he takes Bazz's spot and either TSam, Sam JR or Purvis have shared the minutes to take Boat's spot form last year. How's that trade off for Boat? Not too good as no one has taken the pressure off of him as he did for Bazz. That's what I consider when saying he's been better than I anticipated.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He was 7-8 in the Texas game and again they couldn't make a shot as a team down the stretch so it made the 2nd of the 1-1 end up being important. He was good in the game though and it shouldn't always come down to it. Then again the miss last night was killer and I wasn't even talking about that when I said he wasn't very good. He's not a good shooter like Bazz but it doesn't help for him no one else is either. You have to account for the fact Bazz had Boat next to him and both caused pain to the other teams defense all the time. So in turn he takes Bazz's spot and either TSam, Sam JR or Purvis have shared the minutes to take Boat's spot form last year. How's that trade off for Boat? Not too good as no one has taken the pressure off of him as he did for Bazz. That's what I consider when saying he's been better than I anticipated.

This... this is what i've been saying since the start of the season... bazz was great but he also had boat to be his safety valve, boat was able run the show when need be and had confidence bc he knew if he got into trouble he had daniels giff or back to bazz to give the ball to... AS OF NOW, he just has hamilton... this is a whole new animal for boat, he played SG his whole career with 4-5 other players who played with him during his career and knew exactly what to do,they knew the plays, had confidence, etc... this year boat is the only one who had any meaningful time, he's the only senior, everyone else is basically a sophomore... and im pretty sure ollie really thought calhoun would be part of this team and his injuries wouldnt last this long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom