6 Games in . . . season trajectory. | The Boneyard

6 Games in . . . season trajectory.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Well, we've learned a lot from the last few, sparse games.

We're extraordinarily lucky to have Dan Hurley. 5 and 1 baby, and a free throw away from 6 and 0 with a win over a top 10 team. Any team who didn't get us last year, when "we were comin'," your time's run out. I loved the hire at the time. Now it just looks genius. I hope the guy stays with us for a bit, he's really, really good . . .

Our team is tremendously versatile, and in great shape. I can see many games where we flat out wear teams down with our relentless style of play. Think a College BBall version of the 1980 men's hockey team. Love the fact that we can swap in 3 or 4 guys and, while there may be a down-tick in offensive power, our energy and defensive effort are fairly constant at a high level.

Love the defense. Love it. Did I mention I love it? It was painful and awful to watch teams slice through us during the interregnum period. When you have great D, as the Marquette game showed, you are never out of it.

Our point guard situation is not as bad as some portend. I've said this multiple times, I'll say it again. RJ Cole is a very nice piece to our team. Veteran leader, great effort, very tight D, and, as a bonus, the Hurley Effect® appears to have already improved his A/T ratio, which is critical for us. RJ Cole is not a high level athlete, and he's short. So it is unfair and unrealistic to expect him to score 15 a game. Against athletic, taller guards, he is going to struggle to score. That's fine. We live with that. We need him to do exactly what he has been doing: protect the rock, get into our offense, don't turn it over, penetrate and score on occasion, nail the 3 on occasion, and play tough D. Love this kid.
Gaffney had a move last game where he caught the ball at the 3 point line top of the key and just lit the jets toward the rim. Blew past 2 guys, got fouled. If and when he finds that switch at will, he will be a very good guard for us. the Hurley Effect® will kick in. This kid will be a rock-solid leader for us over the next couple of years.

Martin is Martin. He'll go off for 20 again this year, probably, but he is not a high-end scorer, as Marquette showed. If he's well guarded, he doesn't have the capacity to create enough space to shoot comfortably. He is a very nice piece, however, and a Marcus White level rebounder. His D against Marquette had several lapses, however, and gave up soft shots. He is the type of guy you need to win championships.

How many times did Brendan Adams thwart a 3-point shot by running at the shooter full bore in a defensive rotation? I counted at least 4. Effort, great D. The Hurley Way®. This kid played a larger part in the win than the box score suggests.

Bouk having a minor injury against Marquette may have been the turning point of the season. We'll see. Funny how some bad things can often lead to some great things.

Is anybody still of the mindset that being back in the Big East is bad?

Polley. Scooter and I took a rash of s---- for stating that this kid had big potential. Some of the less-kind replies said things like, "he's good for a few shots if he's hot," and "bench player who has never done anythnig," and "3 years, nothing," and "only a spot up shooter, nothing more," and "Martin is a way better player." Those posts got a lot of likes. I made the point that he was the X-Factor this year. He is. Zero doubt now. But I'm not going to make that argument any longer, after this post. If you can't see it, you can't see it. If you think that Marquette was a fluke, you're wrong. Polley was starting to play with confidence prior to getting hurt. His "one" monster game had been building. You could see it, a bit each game. The Hurley Effect®. Now in full force with this one.

In terms of his value to the team? Could be massive. Folks saying, "Other guy is better than him in everything but shooting." Yeah, but DUH, shooting IS the game, at the end of the day. Without that, you don't win. Especially now, with the 3. Think of Rashad Anderson. Guy had a weak handle, not a good defender, poor rebounder, not many assists . . . so why is he so fondly regarded among us? Because he hit so many huge shots, when it mattered.

Did you see 6/9 Polley rebound the ball and go full court for the lay in?
Or pass down low from 3 the left 3 line for the easy lay in?
Or put three dribbles on the floor, sticking his guy on his heels, and then rise up for the 3?
Or catch and spin and shoot in one motion from the left 3 line?
All when we were desperate for points.
And 4 boards to boot?
And reasonably good defense?

He's the real deal. His catch and shoot speed is VERY high level. He has got a super quick trigger. And he's 6/9 with a high release, picture perfect form, and a beautiful shot. Even the shots he missed were in-and-outs.

Him standing at the perimeter, 1 step beyond the arc literally forces a defender to stand on the 3 point line to guard him or suffer giving up an open 3 to a guy who can be lights out from 3 and change the game in a matter of 4 shots. How much better is that going to make Bouk, and Cole, and Martin?

I'm happy.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF by AOK

Reaction Score

We're extraordinarily lucky to have Dan Hurley. 5 and 1 baby, and a free throw away from 6 and 0 with a win over a top 10 team. Any team who didn't get us last year, when "we were comin'," your time's run out. I loved the hire at the time. Now it just looks genius. I hope the guy stays with us for a bit, he's really, really good . . .

Our team is tremendously versatile, and in great shape. I can see many games where we flat out wear teams down with our relentless style of play. Think a College BBall version of the 1980 men's hockey team. Love the fact that we can swap in 3 or 4 guys and, while there may be a down-tick in offensive power, our energy and defensive effort are fairly constant at a high level.

Love the defense. Love it. Did I mention I love it? It was painful and awful to watch teams slice through us during the interregnum period. When you have great D, as the Marquette game showed, you are never out of it.

Our point guard situation is not as bad as some portend. I've said this multiple times, I'll say it again. RJ Cole is a very nice piece to our team. Veteran leader, great effort, very tight D, and, as a bonus, the Hurley Effect® appears to have already improved his A/T ratio, which is critical for us. RJ Cole is not a high level athlete, and he's short. So it is unfair and unrealistic to expect him to score 15 a game. Against athletic, taller guards, he is going to struggle to score. That's fine. We live with that. We need him to do exactly what he has been doing: protect the rock, get into our offense, don't turn it over, penetrate and score on occasion, nail the 3 on occasion, and play tough D. Love this kid.
Gaffney had a move last game where he caught the ball at the 3 point line top of the key and just lit the jets toward the rim. Blew past 2 guys, got fouled. If and when he finds that switch at will, he will be a very good guard for us. the Hurley Effect® will kick in. This kid will be a rock-solid leader for us over the next couple of years.

Martin is Martin. He'll go off for 20 again this year, probably, but he is not a high-end scorer, as Marquette showed. If he's well guarded, he doesn't have the capacity to create enough space to shoot comfortably. He is a very nice piece, however, and a Marcus White level rebounder. His D against Marquette had several lapses, however, and gave up soft shots. He is the type of guy you need to win championships.

How many times did Brendan Adams thwart a 3-point shot by running at the shooter full bore in a defensive rotation? I counted at least 4. Effort, great D. The Hurley Way®. This kid played a larger part in the win than the box score suggests.

Bouk having a minor injury against Marquette may have been the turning point of the season. We'll see. Funny how some bad things can often lead to some great things.

Polley. Scooter and I took a rash of s---- for stating that this kid had big potential. Some of the less-kind replies said things like, "he's good for a few shots if he's hot," and "bench player who has never done anythnig," and "3 years, nothing," and "only a spot up shooter, nothing more," and "Martin is a way better player." Those posts got a lot of likes. I made the point that he was the X-Factor this year. He is. Zero doubt now. But I'm not going to make that argument any longer, after this post. If you can't see it, you can't see it. If you think that Marquette was a fluke, you're wrong. Polley was starting to play with confidence prior to getting hurt. His "one" monster game had been building. You could see it, a bit each game. The Hurley Effect®. Now in full force with this one.

In terms of his value to the team? Could be massive. Folks saying, "Other guy is better than him in everything but shooting." Yeah, but DUH, shooting IS the game, at the end of the day. Without that, you don't win. Especially now, with the 3. Think of Rashad Anderson. Guy had a weak handle, not a good defender, poor rebounder, not many assists . . . so why is he so fondly regarded among us? Because he hit so many huge shots, when it mattered.

Or put three dribbles on the floor, sticking his guy on his heels, and then rise up for the 3?
And 4 boards to boot?

He's the real deal. His catch and shoot speed is VERY high level. He has got a super quick trigger. And he's 6/9 with a high release, picture perfect form, and a beautiful shot. Even the shots he missed were in-and-outs.

Him standing at the perimeter, 1 step beyond the arc literally forces a defender to stand on the 3 point line to guard him or suffer giving up an open 3 to a guy who can be lights out from 3 and change the game in a matter of 4 shots. How much better is that going to make Bouk, and Cole, and Martin?

I'm happy.
And you never mentioned my MVP, Isaiah Whaley... the Energizer Bunny.

Reaction Score
Dude, you are 2 games into the BE schedule and beat 2 lower half of BE teams...Slow your roll man, act like you've been there before Jesus - There are much tougher teams going forward!!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

And 4 boards to boot?

I'm happy.
1610037200222.png

"Hokay, time to post on the Boneyard."

Reaction Score
@BParkDog ..... That was a complete and detailed synopsis. Reminds me of the posts many of us will remember by old Yarder and my good friend Dogmania, who hasn't posted in a few years.
You'd give him a run for his money. :)
Lol. Man, I kind of miss his posts. Or at least his detailed analysis. :)

Reaction Score
Dude, you are 2 games into the BE schedule and beat 2 lower half of BE teams...Slow your roll man, act like you've been there before Jesus - There are much tougher teams going forward!!
Whack a mole pops up. Thought this dude was gone.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn is 2-1 in conference play.

Reaction Score
We are a top 25 level team with a chance to be a championship level team with some in-season improvement and good luck in regards to games and with injuries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom