6-7 Freshman-- are we recruiting her? | The Boneyard

6-7 Freshman-- are we recruiting her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN's Boo Williams article highlights 6'7" Teaira McCowan.

Any chance UConn is recruiting her?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My definition of recruiting is when a coach has made clear to a stdent-athlete that he's seriously interested in her. Geno doesn't actively recruit very young players unless they're exceptional, like Diana, Maya, etc. If he has some interest in Teaira, Geno may have contacted Her high school or AAU coach to get more info on her. Generally, though, he tracks very young players until he has a good idea about their upside, development trajectory (he once said an awful lot of high school freshmen phenoms have plateaued early), and general demeanor to know if they & UConn would consider one another good fits.

Reaction Score
ESPN's Boo Williams article highlights 6'7" Teaira McCowan.

Any chance UConn is recruiting her?
Where did you get the 6'7" from? HoopGurlz has her at 6'5". Just wondering which is correct.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I should have included the link:

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girl...9210/boo-williams-features-nation-top-players

The article and the front page of Hoopgurlz has her at 6'7". Here's what they say:

"Teaira McCowan (DFW T-Jack): If you want to know the importance of size, look no further than the Baylor women's basketball team, which went 40-0 on its way to winning a national championship. At 6-7, McCowan, of Brenham, Texas, has the size to make a similar impact at the next level. For now, it's too early to make Brittany Griner comparisons, but McCowan's upside as a tall and physically gifted post player are hard to deny. The young post has made large strides in the last year as she has improved across the board and is starting to make an impact in some of the most elite summer games."

Hopefully the coaches are keeping track of her.

Where did you get the 6'7" from? HoopGurlz has her at 6'5". Just wondering which is correct.

Reaction Score
Aren't their rules about contacting recruits too early? Although recent events suggest it's not a big deal, especially in Texas, but I thought there were some kind of rules involving the year in high school that an individual is in before coaches can have contact with them.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Aren't their rules about contacting recruits too early? Although recent events suggest it's not a big deal, especially in Texas, but I thought there were some kind of rules involving the year in high school that an individual is in before coaches can have contact with them.

Rules? We don't need no stinking rules! Buy that girl an iPhone and blow it UP!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Direct contact is definitely a no-no, though a player can initiate contact at any age. The process coaches go through is contacting the HS and AAU coaches, and the word filters down.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I suspect she'll end up at Baylor and be the replacement for Griner. Not saying she'll be as good. DFW is the same AAU team that provided 4 out of the 5 Baylor starters this year.

Reaction Score
I's a long way off but if she developes her talent it seems that she might want to go somwhere where she won't be Griner II

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I's a long way off but if she developes her talent it seems that she might want to go somwhere where she won't be Griner II

She'll be McCowan1. Maya Moore didn't mind being DT2 and KML was not afraid of being MM2. Heck, she even took her number.

Plus, by then, we will have forgotten all about Griner. :(

One plus for Baylor is that Brenham is about a two hour drive to Waco. It is slightly less from Brenham to Austin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom