5th Starter On Opening Night: Poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

5th Starter On Opening Night: Poll

Against UC-Davis, who will be UConn's 5th starter in addition to Kiah, Stewie, KML, and Moriah?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I voted for Chong. She is familiar with the system and did show signs of good things last year. I do believe that Nurse may very well be the starter sometime in February, but will share minutes with Chong.

I see Morgan coming off the bench this year, especially in the beginning. She hasn't played in a year and I think Geno and company will bring her along slowly. When she back into the flow of things, what a weapon off the bench!!!

Reaction Score
With the talent and athletes on this team they really should be selling tickets to intra-squad games. I would definitely get myself to Storrs for that. I expect that this season there will be more "yawners" than we've ever seen before. Even some of the so-called competitive games .

Reaction Score
I think Tuck because ESPN had the projected starting 5 during First Night. I'm guessing they didn't just pick Tuck's name out of a hat, and that they got it from one of the coaches during their week of prep work. One of the commentators after all is pretty tight with the program, and probably has some access that an outsider wouldn't.

Reaction Score
It sounds like people assume Chong will start because of seniority, but does Geno really run the team that way? It is possible that Chong is a career bench player at UConn, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Whether Saniya is a long term starter remains to be seen. Learning the UCONN system is tough in a short time period as Breanna will attest. This will have to be decided on the court, there isn't anything we know now that biases this decision except that Saniya has a 12-month head start on what is typically an 18-month process.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saniya will start on opening night; however, if she falters, Kia Nurse will be next in line. Morgan will not start. She needs to get her legs under her.

Reaction Score
While Tuck is talented and a great player who deserves to start.... the real issue is one of height... Who do we have to go in if Tuck is already in and Stokes needs to come out of the game? I think Tuck might be the first post off the bench... I would still go with Nurse to start.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think Chong will start, but I voted for Nurse, as I think she is the best two-guard we have, although a freshie and in need of learning the system. In my view, it won't be long. I think that Tuck will be our 6th man, coming off the bench to clean up. If she gets well and lives up to potential, she could win the 6th man award this year. That's how good she could be.

Reaction Score
Too many reasons to list why I think it should be a guard and not to go with the big lineup. I voted for Chong. I could have easily voted for Nurse too though Nurse as a frosh in exhibition game may be a stretch. But this is Geno - and it's an exhibition game. He could do anything and it wouldn't shock.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Too many reasons to list why I think it should be a guard and not to go with the big lineup. I voted for Chong. I could have easily voted for Nurse too though Nurse as a frosh in exhibition game may be a stretch. But this is Geno - and it's an exhibition game. He could do anything and it wouldn't shock.

I don't think the poll is referring to the exhibition games, but the regular season opener.

Reaction Score
I think Saniya will start with Nurse coming off the bench to replace her. I don't see Geno starting Morgan T. as she's coming off a serious knee surgery and he'll want to build her time up gradually! She'll be in the lineup with Stewart & Stokes for certain situations but with 2 main "big" girls on the roster, he'll start Kiah and bring in Tuck. Plus he loves bringing a player off the bench to change the pace of the game and Morgan can play inside tough but can bounce outside to hit the occasional 3. This is the same for Gabby coming off 2 major knee operations, he'll bring her along slowly.
This will be a very versatile team with many players able to move around. Geno will have many options to hit other teams with, making UCONN even harder to defend! And 2015-2016 will be an even bigger nightmare for opponents!
As I've mentioned many times before, our biggest opponent is INJURIES &/or SICKNESS, not the other teams!

Reaction Score
It'ts so much fun to sit here and work these names in-and-out- coming up with different combinations. We have recruited a lot of (good) guards and it would be ridiculous not to play them. The last 2 years saw much discussions about Geno's short rotation, good practice equal playing time, and lack of trust in the bench. A number of players transferred out to other schools. Transfers are always a negative for the school being left behind. This year we are deep with quality players, so it is less who starts and more about the distribution of playing time. Yes, freshmen can sit for a while but, if they are sitting too long because they are in the dog house for this or that, or because the rotation stops at player 6, it looks bad. I can't imagine that a recruit would not see that as a negative. Many of the serious and good players are willing to sit and learn, but sitting on the bench when you can play all because the coach only play 6 is ... Imo we have a good number and if they are what we think they are then all should play, contribute and be happy . I do not see any ballhogs or princesses.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The exhibition games Creighton UC Davis games will give us and Geno and indication where the freshman are before we meet Stanford. These games Geno will be trying different combos while evaluating the freshman and their role on the team. Its going to be very interesting to see who gets playtime in the Stanford game which will be an indication of where the freshman are as far as the coaching staffs evaluations. All things being equal I see a blowout however if Stanford hangs in there we will get a pretty good indication from who Geno plays. In a close game do the freshman see many minutes? Then there are big games with Duke ND DePaul and St Johns another measure of where the freshman are early in the season. South Carolina in February will show us where the coaching staffs confidence is with the freshman.

Although this team lost Stef and Bria. Mojeff has stepped up as has Stokes. Opposing defenses will pay alot of attention to Stewart and KML leaving somebody open. With that said Stewart and KML are the best one two combo in WCBB and almost unstoppable. This team could be a better team then last seasons team for 2 reasons. First Mojeff and Stewart are juniors (upperclassman), and Stokes is an experienced Senior and mature and confident. Second Tuck and KML are healthy and both could be the go to player on other teams. Looking at those players you have players who can put up big numbers every nite. Thus if somebody has an off nite we have the players to pick them up. Then again scoring for this team is not a problem as the defense is so good opponents will have problems scoring. I think Stanford will get a taste of how hard it is to score against this UConn machine which is driven by defense. Last season Stanford had Chiney and UConn beat them by 19 with KML getting injured. This season no Chiney so the expectations imo for Stanford look dim.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It sounds like people assume Chong will start because of seniority, but does Geno really run the team that way?
Yea, pretty much.
Ask Geno why he started Pam Webber over Nykesha Sales.
Or Amy Duran over Shea Ralph.
Or whoever over Maya Moore.
etc
etc
etc

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Are we forgetting this is the same gentleman who started Brittney Griner and Tina Charles side by side with no other true center on the roster for the senior national team?

Tuck most likely gets the start IMO.
Not really comparable. On the NT, Geno had 3 other forwards who could come in and play the 4/5 (although not a true center). If Geno starts Stokes, Stewart, Tuck, KML, that leaves him with 0 other players who can play the 4/5.

Also if Geno starts Stokes, that right there leaves no other true center on the bench.

Very different scenarios.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I voted for Saniya based on the fact that she has practiced very well and has a year of experience at UConn over Kia Nurse. I don't think seniority is as important as experience. Kia's experience is unusual--I think Canadian high school hoops lags behind its U.S. counterpart, but her international experience more than offsets that. Kia Nurse will be a very successful player and will start later this year or later in her career.

I don't think Geno necessarily starts his 5 best players. See Maya Moore as an example. She was a top 2 player in WCBB as soon as she stepped foot on campus, but moved into the starting lineup only after injuries to others. Morgan, if healthy, is a top 20 talent. But I think Geno will bring her along slowly and use her to spell Kiah. Next year, we lose Kiah, but add Natalie, Lou, Napheesa, and De'Janae. We'll have more interior backups, and Morgan will start--and star.

I like the lineup with Morgan. She's a tough matchup. I believe that Kaleena is a good ball handler and defender, especially at this level. Can she play the SG position in the WNBA? Maybe, but that's not relevant here. Kaleena played some SG late last year and did well. The lineup of Moriah or Bria plus Kaleena, Kiah, Stef, and Stewie was suffocating on defense. Despite this, I see Morgan as the 6th Man of the Year, not a starter. Remember that she has 3 more years. Yay!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Clearly Geno checked out the Boneyard poll and made his decision.

Reaction Score
Originally I believed that there was no way that Kia Nurse doesn't start from day one, but if Chong continues to be the best practice player then Geno will give her the opportunity to start. It doesn't really make any difference since Kia Nurse and the other freshmen will all get plenty of playing time. If Chong makes the same jump from year one to year two as Jefferson did then watch out UCONN will have another deadly weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom