58-55 Hero Ball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

58-55 Hero Ball

Reaction Score
You are 100% correct. Folks really do not understand basketball. What happened is bad offensive design. Vital (and Gilbert) get handed the ball with 6 seconds on the clock and 4 people staring at them. They have no option.

Exactly
Contrast that with Tulsa, who came downcourt and ran offense, 5 guys in motion until they found the open shot.
It's starting to look like the emperor has no clothes. How many times does Hurley need to see this play out?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The best lineup imo:
Gaffney
Vital
Bouk
Wilson
Akok
This was a good game for that lineup. Tulsa is a poor half court offensive team. Against a decent half court team that lineup would be a problem.

Reaction Score
He had to take that shot. The clock was running out.

Bad game by Vital but the OP is wrong. That was not "hero ball."
Correct. It was us freezing up on offense that was the problem, not the shot. I didn’t like the sub to take Bouknight out on D just before that. They were not attacking with their guards so the chance of a foul was low, and we ended up without him on the floor for the next possession.

Reaction Score
Exactly
Contrast that with Tulsa, who came downcourt and ran offense, 5 guys in motion until they found the open shot.
It's starting to look like the emperor has no clothes. How many times does Hurley need to see this play out?

Tulsa didn’t run motion. They isolated their big guy.

we had plenty of motion against the zone until the last two minutes.

Reaction Score
Tulsa didn’t run motion. They isolated their big guy.

we had plenty of motion against the zone until the last two minutes.

Read again
I didn't say they were running the motion offense. I said all their players were in motion as opposed to being stationary like we were.

Reaction Score
Read again
I didn't say they were running the motion offense. I said all their players were in motion as opposed to being stationary like we were.
Except they weren’t.

Reaction Score
Plea
right, he got passed the ball with 7 seconds left from gaffney. If you want to say he should have tried to drive into the lane, fine. But he had to take a shot.

Vital was taking that shot regardless. He got the pass a few seconds before and was about to shoot but then passed and got it back. If you watch UConn and know Vital he wanted that exact shot. The three fingers to the head was coming if he hit it.

Reaction Score
I don't mind Vital putting up a deep three here and there. He's a streaky shooter and can catch fire. We have all seen him go 6-7 the last few years with many of them deep 3's. But I don't like them early in the shot clock like prior games. Despite the continue shooting slump, Vital did't let it carry over to other parts of his game.

Again, I think they found something with Wilson and Akok on the floor together, but they have to spell them at times. Danny tried and Carlton (who I think had a pretty good defensive half the first half) gave up some easy buckets.

Really, they need scoring from some non-freshmen to help.

Also, is this the beginning of Gaffney taking more and more minutes from Gilbert. I love Gilbert's toughness, but aside from the 1 bad quick 3 in overtime, Gaffney handled himself pretty well.

Reaction Score
Yeah they just stood there and threw it into the post

Go back and watch stooge

F off. They didn’t do much motion at the end of the game. They just maintained their spacing.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think we all knew that Vital was going to shoot that three with a couple minutes left in the game. But it initiated from Gaffney dribbling too much out top and it forced vital to take that shot.

I wouldnt put too much of this game on Vital. A few forced shots but just one of those games were the ball was not dropping for him.
He played great D. He had some positive contributions even with his shot not falling and great nerves from the FT line.

Reaction Score
Exactly
Hurley has to get his hands around end game management. Better today, but still not good with the second and third last possession of regular time. Last possession was well schemed. Just two possession too late.

Reaction Score
Hurley has to get his hands around end game management. Better today, but still not good with the second and third last possession of regular time. Last possession was well schemed. Just two possession too late.
I’d love to know what happened on the possession where Vital had to take the deep three. Hurley was clearly pissed.

Same with the possession where Adams has to drive at the end. That was a cluster-$;$. We need better coming out of the timeout.

Reaction Score
F off. They didn’t do much motion at the end of the game. They just maintained their spacing.

Ridiculous tough guy

We maintained spacing by staying stationary. What good did that do?

Their movement created openings, which you are calling spacing. Get a clue.

Reaction Score
I’d put Bouks stupid offensive foul (4th) up there. A little bounce pass and gaffney has an uncontested layup and bouk stays on the floor
Agree. But it's called being a freshman. As frustrated as it has been it was encouraging seeing the young guys bring us back.

Reaction Score
I’d put Bouks stupid offensive foul (4th) up there. A little bounce pass and gaffney has an uncontested layup and bouk stays on the floor
Hes a freshmen so I can forgive stuff like that from him but not if he were a jr never mind senior.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Hes a freshmen so I can forgive stuff like that from him but not if he were a jr never mind senior.

still. If we’re talking about the dumb hero ball play that hurt the team the most, it was this one. Not shooting a deep 3 with 3 seconds left on The shot clock

Reaction Score
You are 100% correct. Folks really do not understand basketball. What happened is bad offensive design. Vital (and Gilbert) get handed the ball with 6 seconds on the clock and 4 people staring at them. They have no option.

People see what they want to see 88. Many are clueless and use Vital and Gilbert ash the goats and I get it they deserve some of it. But if either have the ball with 7 seconds left on the clock, NO ONE is open they have little to no time to penetrate and kick so something ugly is bound to happen. That's the offense they run, it's ugly. But we had a 12-0 run yesterday so all is well! LOL

We will see how they accept the errors which will happen with the "kids" because that will be acceptable. Or watching guys score at ease on the other end, no problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom