5 year players and Grad Students - When does it end? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

5 year players and Grad Students - When does it end?

Reaction Score
It’s an Ivy League rule; no fifth year. In this case, the NCAA had nothing to do with it. The Ivy League is like D3; no athletic scholarships. Everything is based on need.
I believe some of the Patriot League schools follow the same no fifth year rule as well.

Reaction Score
I believe some of the Patriot League schools follow the same no fifth year rule as well.
I think that's probably a good policy, even if it might pinch a few.

Reaction Score
That is correct. That topic started with Abby Meyer playing at Maryland this year instead of Princeton.

sun

Reaction Score
The Patriot League includes Army & Navy which can't offer it due to military service requirements.
And some of the other schools don't have graduate programs, so the league let the individual schools decide.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I appreciate discussion given on the matter. I will chalk it up to my not fully wrapping my brain around the concept of the 20-21 decision as to why I was struggling to get the rationale behind why she would even need to apply for a waiver, let alone be denied one. I appreciate the feedback given in a respectful manner that made things clearer and agree by the letter of the law she shouldn't have been allowed to play an additional season.

Anyone who has paid attention to my posts probably knows I'm not a fan of waivers at all. Even before COVID was a thing and the one year sit out rule was still in place, waivers seemed to be more becoming common and I wasn't a fan then either. The truth is none of us knows what documentation is included in any waiver application. I will never know why Jess Shepard got a waiver for immediate play, why Evina was denied one, and additionally why Jordan Danberry got another year after being a mid year transfer to MSU years back when I honestly never remember seeing that happen before. I will also never know why Dodson's waiver wasn't approved despite the rule. Danberry's case certainly didn't seem to fit with the rule book nor past precedent but it happened so why not that one?

While technically correct Dodson shouldn't have been given another year, the NCAA is about as inconsistent as it gets when it comes to their rulings, punishments, decisions, and enforcement. Trying to make sense of what they do is an exercise in futilty and the organization doesn't really help itself by it's at times seemingly arbitary application of rules (and I am speaking broadly across all sports having followed college athletics closely for 30 years and not this one case).

My personal opions are of course my own and I have plenty of them, of which there is an old and crude saying about opinions and what they really mean. My opinion remains she "should" have been given the year but she wasn't and it's not a hill anyone, even ND fans or coaches, should die on.

I will again say I appreciate the feedback and banter. I appreciate this board and the nature of WBB boards so much more than SEC football ones that's why I keep sticking around. There aren't many places to discuss the game and the level of posts and courtesy here are first class.
I doubt you are the only one who thinks the NCAA's decisions - across the board - are inconsistent and arbitrary. It may be that they fit a pattern of which we are unaware because we rarely know all the information they had when they make the decision. But I doubt it.

The Arizona men's basketball team and former coach Sean Miller is a case in point. Very, very little punishment. Even one of the local columnists, rah-rah Arizona and all that - was completely mystified and somewhat convinced that justice was not served.

Reaction Score
It didn't count for her. That was the point. The 2020-21 season didn't count for anyone, whether they played or not. Playing that season didn't subtract from anyone's eligibility, just as not playing didn't add to it.
I wonder who is in charge of calculating all the players years of eligibility? Is it the NCAA? The schools, or the conferences? Then again with Covid, maybe that person was laid off… or quiet quit!

Reaction Score
Need some insight from knowledgeable posters. I know that Covid gave an extra year to players. I think the current frosh are not eligible for this, but I don't know for certain. I am assuming that the grad students are using their 5th year from the Covid mess. UConn has two great players that are using this extra year - Lou and Dorka. When does this extra year end? All these 5 year players are taking spots away from high schoolers coming in. More teams seem improved, but at what costs. I am talking Covid rules and not injury/red shirt.
An aside - - Seton Hall has 10 players that are seniors or Grad students. That's alot of experience. They only have 3 other players not seniors/grad.
Just wondering what the sentiment is on this issue? Also, what are the official NCAA rules on this?
Seton Hall won't have much of a team when they finally fun out of sr's and grad students!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I wonder who is in charge of calculating all the players years of eligibility? Is it the NCAA? The schools, or the conferences? Then again with Covid, maybe that person was laid off… or quiet quit!
I mean, whose job is it normally? Pretty sure the schools are motivated to have compliance offices monitor this, since using an ineligible player could result in forfeited games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom