5 year players and Grad Students - When does it end? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

5 year players and Grad Students - When does it end?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Thanks for that. I think I`ve got it now, finally.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As to the Ivy, they relented regarding the folks who were seniors during the non-season, allowing them to play the following year if they wished. They did not offer extra opportunity to the underclass players on the team. Whether those players could transfer I don't know.

Reaction Score
I more or less understand, just think that if 20-21 didn't count as a year of competition for someone who played, not sure why it did for somone who didn't. Not trying to fan flames, just my opinion, which doesn't count for anything in the big picture lol.

Reaction Score
What about that player from Indiana last year? Forget her name, but she seemed to be their star player. I think she started for them since the Reagan administration.

Reaction Score
What about that player from Indiana last year? Forget her name, but she seemed to be their star player. I think she started for them since the Reagan administration.
Poor Ali Patberg. She's had a lot of wit broken over her the last couple years. She was playing in D1 for a long time, but it was all legit, just the result of injuries and covid. Rebecca commented in jest during the game against UConn last year, that she had an "old man's game," like her hero Paul Pierce. I always loved watching her play.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that Seton Hall has 10 Seniors listed on their current rosteer (plus two Juniors and a Freshman to make 13), but only three starters back from the January, 2022 game [accounting for 17 of the 38 points scored by the (puddle) Pirates] and only 6 players (total) back for today's game....

Hopefully that translates into a quick start by the Huskies and a 22+ point lead at half-time, so that all healthy players can have significant playing time and NO additional injuries....

Reaction Score
I think he's referring to Maya Dodson, who was denied an extra year this year.
Yeah I’m just pontificating that if someone played in 20-21 and that season didn’t count, why did Dodsons count when she didn’t play?

It’s a dead issue and not one I care about as much as it may seem, but it just seemed odd that she wasn’t granted it. However the NCAA has a history of weird decisions

Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up. Why would they have to transfer thought? Not really asking for an explanation, just seems like more twisted logic by the NCAA. I get they have their rules but they make less sense than the IRS and are equally unaccountable.
Logic is a luxury the NCAA can’t afford!

Reaction Score
This could be a sticky wicket for UConn. It won’t affect us next year since Dorka and Lou are both on their fifth year, but ostensibly next year’s recruiting class is coming to replace Alijah (Egyptian Big), Aubrey (Samuels), Paige (Shade) and Nika (Arnold). UConn needed to recruit replacements; what happens if any of them decides to take the extra year? South Carolina has that problem this year; one too many bigs after one of their starters took the extra year. It could happen again if Beal elects to stay; why wouldn’t she?
I would love to be worried (Aubrey) and or (AAliyah) or (Dorka) may stay… but they won’t. Uconn is tough work, they love Geno but he is tough work… the WNBA or Europe is easier and you get paid$.

Reaction Score
She did. There are players now that are on 5 with their COVID year since 20-21 didn't count. That's why I said it's odd to me.

It really isn't a big deal, I'm just off for the holidays and reading the board. It's my opinion and it's no more valid than anyone elses.
Logic is a luxury the NCAA can’t afford!
This is true, but it's also true that the extra year, combined with no sit out transfers, plus random waivers approved even before these things happened means the landscape was drastically shifting. All these things happening at one time just adds to the chaos.

Reaction Score
I‘m still not convinced that we will actually see Paige next year. Her parents and management team may still adviser to turn pro. Not worth risking injury in college. Maybe she can a really good injury insurance policy.

sun

Reaction Score
I‘m still not convinced that we will actually see Paige next year. Her parents and management team may still adviser to turn pro. Not worth risking injury in college. Maybe she can a really good injury insurance policy.
Paige already announced that she would play for UConn next year.

Reaction Score
I more or less understand, just think that if 20-21 didn't count as a year of competition for someone who played, not sure why it did for somone who didn't. Not trying to fan flames, just my opinion, which doesn't count for anything in the big picture lol.

What you were saying is incorrect. The 20–21 season did not count as a year of competition for anyone, whether they played or not.

Reaction Score
Yeah I’m just pontificating that if someone played in 20-21 and that season didn’t count, why did Dodsons count when she didn’t play?

It’s a dead issue and not one I care about as much as it may seem, but it just seemed odd that she wasn’t granted it. However the NCAA has a history of weird decisions

Not weird at all.

Reaction Score

Dodsons 20–21 season did NOT count towards using up her eligibility.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It didn't count for her. That was the point. The 2020-21 season didn't count for anyone, whether they played or not. Playing that season didn't subtract from anyone's eligibility, just as not playing didn't add to it.

Reaction Score
It didn't count for her. That was the point. The 2020-21 season didn't count for anyone, whether they played or not. Playing that season didn't subtract from anyone's eligibility, just as not playing didn't add to it.
Excellent post. Clarity is wonderful.

Reaction Score
She’ll make more playing at UConn than as a rookie in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I appreciate discussion given on the matter. I will chalk it up to my not fully wrapping my brain around the concept of the 20-21 decision as to why I was struggling to get the rationale behind why she would even need to apply for a waiver, let alone be denied one. I appreciate the feedback given in a respectful manner that made things clearer and agree by the letter of the law she shouldn't have been allowed to play an additional season.

Anyone who has paid attention to my posts probably knows I'm not a fan of waivers at all. Even before COVID was a thing and the one year sit out rule was still in place, waivers seemed to be more becoming common and I wasn't a fan then either. The truth is none of us knows what documentation is included in any waiver application. I will never know why Jess Shepard got a waiver for immediate play, why Evina was denied one, and additionally why Jordan Danberry got another year after being a mid year transfer to MSU years back when I honestly never remember seeing that happen before. I will also never know why Dodson's waiver wasn't approved despite the rule. Danberry's case certainly didn't seem to fit with the rule book nor past precedent but it happened so why not that one?

While technically correct Dodson shouldn't have been given another year, the NCAA is about as inconsistent as it gets when it comes to their rulings, punishments, decisions, and enforcement. Trying to make sense of what they do is an exercise in futilty and the organization doesn't really help itself by it's at times seemingly arbitary application of rules (and I am speaking broadly across all sports having followed college athletics closely for 30 years and not this one case).

My personal opions are of course my own and I have plenty of them, of which there is an old and crude saying about opinions and what they really mean. My opinion remains she "should" have been given the year but she wasn't and it's not a hill anyone, even ND fans or coaches, should die on.

I will again say I appreciate the feedback and banter. I appreciate this board and the nature of WBB boards so much more than SEC football ones that's why I keep sticking around. There aren't many places to discuss the game and the level of posts and courtesy here are first class.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom