5 year players and Grad Students - When does it end? | The Boneyard

5 year players and Grad Students - When does it end?

Reaction Score
Need some insight from knowledgeable posters. I know that Covid gave an extra year to players. I think the current frosh are not eligible for this, but I don't know for certain. I am assuming that the grad students are using their 5th year from the Covid mess. UConn has two great players that are using this extra year - Lou and Dorka. When does this extra year end? All these 5 year players are taking spots away from high schoolers coming in. More teams seem improved, but at what costs. I am talking Covid rules and not injury/red shirt.
An aside - - Seton Hall has 10 players that are seniors or Grad students. That's alot of experience. They only have 3 other players not seniors/grad.
Just wondering what the sentiment is on this issue? Also, what are the official NCAA rules on this?

Reaction Score
This may be oversimplifying it, but I believe the best way to look at it is that for almost all athletes 2020 did not count. There is a roster thread that shows what the UConn roster could look like over the next couple of years. That may help you.

sun

Reaction Score
The extra year is for current players that were on the UConn roster for the 2020-2021 season which includes Paige, Nika, Edwards & Aubrey.
But that's only if they choose to play at UConn for a 5th year & UConn agrees to offer them an athletic scholarship for it.

Our opinions aren't very meaningful on the subject because the NCAA rules are the rules.
If a student wants to play a 5th year and they're turned down by UConn, then they can play for another school.

None of last year's seniors wanted to play an extra year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it's bad for recruiting, and it will take a little while for the impact of it to wash out of the system. Still, it's hard to know what else the NCAA should have done. If they ignored the kids impacted by the 2020 season, those kids would have felt cheated... by the pandemic. 2022, 23, 24 kids probably feel a bit oppressed... by the policy.

In a sense, the portal has perhaps proven to be an outlet for the extra pressure the policy brought on. Kids who couldn't break into a rotation because of grad students lingering on have a way to address it.

In our case, Paige could get a pandemic year and a red shirt year, which means she could be a starter through 2025, if I have the arithmetic right. Depending on how they look at it, this may be bad for Ashlynn, KK, Inês, Allie, and any other guards we recruit now... or they may just relish the opportunity to play alongside a truly great player for a little longer.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It is amazing how many college athletes are bouncing from team to team. Some players are on their third team. I really have no opinion on this new reality, just an observation.

Reaction Score
Technically could a player like Paige play three more years starting next year? One year for an injury redshirt year giving her two years of normal eligibility, plus one more for covid?

Don't think it would happen even if she could, but there is great uncertainty for many programs because of the covid year. With this injury plagued year, at least next year I was thinking South Carolina and Stanford would slip from their top ranked status due to the graduation of Boston and Jones and we of course would be much better, but who knows? Boston could conceivably return because she didn't like the prospect of playing for Indiana in the WNBA for example, or she could force them to trade the pick because she has leverage that seniors don't normally have. The NIL deals make that leverage even stronger.

Reaction Score
I initially wasn't a fan of the blanket extra year but warmed up to the idea. The 20-21 season was strange all around and there was so much stopping/pausing/quarantining/cancelled games that in hindsight it was a good call.

However, the NCAA to me threw people for a loop when they decided players who sat out voluntarily wouldn't get the extra year. Maya Dodson didn't play that year and was a grad transfer to ND for 21-22. Personally I think she should have received another year without even having to apply for a waiver but I don't get a vote. Also I vaguely recall the players of the Ivy League, who cancelled their entire season, weren't receiving an extra year. That may not be correct in the long run but it was mentioned.

The NCAA once had a policy of 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility. That's been thrown by the wayside and I don't think that's a bad thing, but the overall impact of the COVID year extra will be felt for sometime.

Again, I don't think Boston stays an extra season and not all players will but the extra year combined with no sit out transfers allows more students to switch teams and also pursue additional education, which is never a bad thing.

Reaction Score
It is amazing how many college athletes are bouncing from team to team. Some players are on their third team. I really have no opinion on this new reality, just an observation.
My goodness! Is Taya Reimer still out there?
As for the real world, Paige has certain motivation to play whatever extra college time is available. She will likely want to play a few years with Azzi, and the NIL stuff will keep her from starving to death in the near future. Downside for Paige is the possibility of further injury that could scupper a pro career. I know she is determined to play next year (at least) for UConn, but the injury issue should be something to worry about when we get over whatever we're worrying about at the moment.

Reaction Score
Yeah, having Dorka and Lou this season really, really sucks.
The basketball world is a lot more than this year’s UConn roster. I’m hoping you were being sarcastic. I also hope you don’t have a daughter who won’t find a roster spot because of over a thousand players who will take the fifth year before it’s over.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The basketball world is a lot more than this year’s UConn roster. I’m hoping you were being sarcastic. I also hope you don’t have a daughter who won’t find a roster spot because of over a thousand players who will take the fifth year before it’s over.
The only basketball world I care about is UConn WBB. Period.
I was not being sarcastic.
I don't have a daughter, or granddaughter, so...

Reaction Score
The only basketball world I care about is UConn WBB. Period.
I was not being sarcastic.
I don't have a daughter, or granddaughter, so...
Then why comment? Certainly you didn’t think I was referring to UConn. The program continues to recruit the best high school players; the vast majority of programs are not. They are recruiting from the Portal, which is much easier when 98 per cent of college athletes in their junior and senior years are interested in a fifth year of free education. The WNBA drafts 36 players every year; not a lot of opportunity there. Less than half of them make a roster.

Reaction Score
The Nika/Aaliyah/Paige class gets an extra year if they want, as does the class above them. That would be Boston's class.

Azzi's class and younger only get four years.
Aubrey as well, since she didn’t play last year.

Reaction Score
I initially wasn't a fan of the blanket extra year but warmed up to the idea. The 20-21 season was strange all around and there was so much stopping/pausing/quarantining/cancelled games that in hindsight it was a good call.

However, the NCAA to me threw people for a loop when they decided players who sat out voluntarily wouldn't get the extra year. Maya Dodson didn't play that year and was a grad transfer to ND for 21-22. Personally I think she should have received another year without even having to apply for a waiver but I don't get a vote. Also I vaguely recall the players of the Ivy League, who cancelled their entire season, weren't receiving an extra year. That may not be correct in the long run but it was mentioned.

The NCAA once had a policy of 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility. That's been thrown by the wayside and I don't think that's a bad thing, but the overall impact of the COVID year extra will be felt for sometime.

Again, I don't think Boston stays an extra season and not all players will but the extra year combined with no sit out transfers allows more students to switch teams and also pursue additional education, which is never a bad thing.
The Ivy League players do get the extra year, but they have to transfer to a non Ivy school. Abby Meyer of Maryland is one example.

Reaction Score
My goodness! Is Taya Reimer still out there?
As for the real world, Paige has certain motivation to play whatever extra college time is available. She will likely want to play a few years with Azzi, and the NIL stuff will keep her from starving to death in the near future. Downside for Paige is the possibility of further injury that could scupper a pro career. I know she is determined to play next year (at least) for UConn, but the injury issue should be something to worry about when we get over whatever we're worrying about at the moment.
This could be a sticky wicket for UConn. It won’t affect us next year since Dorka and Lou are both on their fifth year, but ostensibly next year’s recruiting class is coming to replace Alijah (Egyptian Big), Aubrey (Samuels), Paige (Shade) and Nika (Arnold). UConn needed to recruit replacements; what happens if any of them decides to take the extra year? South Carolina has that problem this year; one too many bigs after one of their starters took the extra year. It could happen again if Beal elects to stay; why wouldn’t she?

Reaction Score
The Ivy League players do get the extra year, but they have to transfer to a non Ivy school. Abby Meyer of Maryland is one example.
Thanks for the heads up. Why would they have to transfer thought? Not really asking for an explanation, just seems like more twisted logic by the NCAA. I get they have their rules but they make less sense than the IRS and are equally unaccountable.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up. Why would they have to transfer thought? Not really asking for an explanation, just seems like more twisted logic by the NCAA. I get they have their rules but they make less sense than the IRS and are equally unaccountable.
It’s an Ivy League rule; no fifth year. In this case, the NCAA had nothing to do with it. The Ivy League is like D3; no athletic scholarships. Everything is based on need.

Reaction Score
It’s an Ivy League rule; no fifth year. In this case, the NCAA had nothing to do with it. The Ivy League is like D3; no athletic scholarships. Everything is based on need.
Ah. Yes I recall that now. Sorry for my lack of knowledge and appreciate the clarifications.

Reaction Score
I think the 2020 (not having a postseason) and 2021 (game cancellations and limited fans) were so abnormal, it made sense to me to grant an extra year. But I really like the idea just in general, especially since the WNBA has such limited spots and with NIL and changes to the transfer portal rules. Like I like the fact that Lou spent 4 years at Fairfield then gets to challenge herself at another level at UConn and can potentially pick up a degree or make good progress on one. I'm not sure but maybe having 5th years improves the general quality of basketball.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Aubrey as well, since she didn’t play last year.
I didn`t throw her into the mix for fear of muddying the waters.

I am not 100% certain but I think that she could have two more seasons after the current one.

1. Played 2019-2020. One.

2. Played 2020-2021 but doesn`t count because of Covid.

3. Out injured for all of 2021-2022.

4. Playing 2022-2023. Two.

That then drags in how 2021-2022 is handled for her if she wants to play in 2024-2025. I have used the term "medical redshirt" before and have been corrected by more knowledgeable Boneyarders on that score, that terminology does not exist. I think it is called a medical hardship waiver and it must be applied for to the NCAA. Presumably she would get it if she applies.

It would mean six years at UConn, she might feel like it is time to move on before then. I am hopeful she sticks around for 2023-2024 in any event.

Then again, as the saying goes, college is the best six years of your life. :cool:

I understand how the "Covid Year" decision has made things messy but I think it was the correct decision. The 2020-2021 season was a lousy one, with games being cancelled, no fans, etc. There was so much uncertainty at the beginning of the season and really from day to day thereafter. If memory serves me correctly, at times players who tested positive were not allowed to play even if the team could play. If they did not treat 2020-2021 the way they did, I am sure that many players would have simply sat out the season and the NCAA did not want that.

Oddly enough I think that the new transfer rules have helped solved the fears regarding overcommitting on scholarships due to players coming back for an additional year. It may still make planning things difficult, but my guess is that the portal will solve the scholarship problem in most cases.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom