5 Takeaways from the McD All-Star Game | The Boneyard

5 Takeaways from the McD All-Star Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
1. Breanna plays her best when it actually matters. Like, for example, in the closing minutes of a tight game, where the early portions are largely meaningless judging from the play.

2. Moriah loves to shake 'n' bake! This girl puts on a show. And no lazy cross-court passes in her vicinity, please. She takes those the other way.

3. Besides having tons of talent, Morgan is also a very polished and savvy player. She took it to Breanna at both ends thank you very much and got off several quality shots in the lane even when Bre was in good position to defend. That takes some doing.

4. There is nothing cuter than Moriah Jefferson's grin.

5. The referees are apparently docked pay for every foul called in the McD All-Star game, except for those with under 2.0 seconds remaining.

Reaction Score
If this was your first time actually seeing the UConn players I thought it was a decent sample of their strengths and weaknesses.

Moriah is as individually athletic and skilled as you could possibly hope for, but still has to learn how to play the true 5 on 5 game. Not much different from the recent run of super athletic point guards on the men's side including the kid who was is leading my Chicago Bulls now.

Breanna can do everything from make a three point shot to a left handed hook shot, but those varied skills need refinement and consistency. In that sense she is more raw than her peers like Candace Parker and Elena Delle Donne offensively, but she has the potential to impact more areas of the game than Parker and EDD.

Morgan Tuck on the other hand is very very refined offensively. She's just not a super athlete the way Moriah or Breanna are. Very much in the Asjha Jones mold in terms of body type and skills, but with more efficiency and consistency. Asjha was wonderfully skilled, but didn't always shoot or finish shots consistency only shooting 50% from the field.

I thought all of that was evident in the game. Glad all three always played pretty much at the same time. Will make it much easier to cut the recording down.

Reaction Score
1. Breanna plays her best when it actually matters. Like, for example, in the closing minutes of a tight game, where the early portions are largely meaningless judging from the play.

2. Moriah loves to shake 'n' bake! This girl puts on a show. And no lazy cross-court passes in her vicinity, please. She takes those the other way.

3. Besides having tons of talent, Morgan is also a very polished and savvy player. She took it to Breanna at both ends thank you very much and got off several quality shots in the lane even when Bre was in good position to defend. That takes some doing.

5. The referees are apparently docked pay for every foul called in the McD All-Star game, except for those with under 2.0 seconds remaining.

Excellent - and another take-away following from your first four - - next year is going to be even more exciting than at least I, having only seen grainy and distant videos of our 3 commits, had imagined (and my expectations were already high....). Moriah does light up the court with her personality. What fun this is going to be!

Reaction Score
Dont let Mo fool you...shes a cold blooded killer on the court!!! Going to be a lot of fun...

Yes, but she still has a killer smile that could melt ice - - perhaps it will even melt a GA glare?!? Hmmm - perhaps NOT

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If this was your first time actually seeing the UConn players I thought it was a decent sample of their strengths and weaknesses.

Moriah is as individually athletic and skilled as you could possibly hope for, but still has to learn how to play the true 5 on 5 game. Not much different from the recent run of super athletic point guards on the men's side including the kid who was is leading my Chicago Bulls now.

It was an all-star game. I don't know how you can conclude she doesn't know how to play a 5-5 game.

Breanna can do everything from make a three point shot to a left handed hook shot, but those varied skills need refinement and consistency. In that sense she is more raw than her peers like Candace Parker and Elena Delle Donne offensively, but she has the potential to impact more areas of the game than Parker and EDD.

Again, you are using an all-star game to conclude she needs refinement and consistency?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

6. Abby Waner got paid by the # of words uttered.

Reaction Score
For DD:

1st, It wasn't even close to the first time I have seen either of them play. My comments were for those that may have been watching for the first time. I don't think many of my comments on recruits have been far off the mark, and part of that is that I actually have seen them play games before I critique their play.

2nd, get a grip! I compared Moriah Jefferson to freaking Derrick Rose. A player who led his team to within a basket of the national championship as a freshman, and was MVP of the NBA at age 22. I compared Breanna to her PEERS in Candace Parker and Elena Delle Donne who just happen to be the most talented 6'4"/6"5" players in the history of WCBB.

I'd be happy to further elaborate on why I see what I see, but I wasn't make grand pronouncements based on highlight clips or some quote in a Hoopgurlz article like some do. I've done my homework before making a post like I made.

JS

Reaction Score
It was an all-star game. I don't know how you can conclude she doesn't know how to play a 5-5 game. * * * Again, you are using an all-star game to conclude she needs refinement and consistency?
My thoughts too. I don't doubt Scotter's powers of close observation, which, along with his patience, no doubt exceed mine, but I found watching the game for even a little while frustrating.

The play was terrible, and the announcers didn't help by babbling away for long periods with scarcely a call of the game. That's bad under normal circumstances, but in this game where I didn't know many of the players by sight, I had no idea who had just tried what ridiculous no-teamwork move versus another.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of Morgan's game, I believe the brief player background noted that she had a solid midrange game and ALL of the inside moves. Yes, she is apparently very polished. And since that was written, she won the 3-point shooting contest. She has quite a smooth shooting stroke.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My thoughts too. I don't doubt Scotter's powers of close observation, which, along with his patience, no doubt exceed mine, but I found watching the game for even a little while frustrating.

The play was terrible, and the announcers didn't help by babbling away for long periods with scarcely a call of the game. That's bad under normal circumstances, but in this game where I didn't know many of the players by sight, I had no idea who had just tried what ridiculous no-teamwork move versus another.

IF you go by this game, you could come to his conclusions. But why would you do that considering the venue? Makes no sense to me.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
For DD:

1st, It wasn't even close to the first time I have seen either of them play. My comments were for those that may have been watching for the first time. I don't think many of my comments on recruits have been far off the mark, and part of that is that I actually have seen them play games before I critique their play.

2nd, get a grip! I compared Moriah Jefferson to freaking Derrick Rose. A player who led his team to within a basket of the national championship as a freshman, and was MVP of the NBA at age 22. I compared Breanna to her PEERS in Candace Parker and Elena Delle Donne who just happen to be the most talented 6'4"/6"5" players in the history of WCBB.

I'd be happy to further elaborate on why I see what I see, but I wasn't make grand pronouncements based on highlight clips or some quote in a Hoopgurlz article like some do. I've done my homework before making a post like I made.

"If this was your first time actually seeing the UConn players I thought it was a decent sample of their strengths and weaknesses."

I misread your initial sentence and thought you said it was the first time YOU saw them. My apologies.

I',m curious on which players you have seen in something other than video clips?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I've seen Mo (on video and streams) play a number of games as a member of her home school team, including as recently as last week. It was nice to see her with other elite prospects and confirm just how ridiculously fast she is. She has a gear that no one else has. It may take a little bit of time for her to get acclimated to the college game and the disciplined offense Uconn runs, but man...she is a dream player.

Breanna can do so many things on the court at an elite level. A Kelly-Breanna-Stef frontcourt is going to be incredibly nasty defensively. Really unselfish player, too.

I've said this before, but Morgan's ceiling is a bit of a Asjha-Swin hybrid. She has a certain charisma and level of ball skills that remind me a bit of Swin, but the comparisons to Asjha are reasonable, too.

Was nice to see Bria Holmes make some good plays in the game too.

Reaction Score
No problem. I reacted strongly because it absolutely drives me up the wall when people do what you accused me of doing. That and because I tried to word my post so carefully to put everything in context and avoid controversy, and I still failed.
"If this was your first time actually seeing the UConn players I thought it was a decent sample of their strengths and weaknesses."

I misread your initial sentence and thought you said it was the first time YOU saw them. My apologies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No problem. I reacted strongly because it absolutely drives me up the wall when people do what you accused me of doing. That and because I tried to word my post so carefully to put everything in context and avoid controversy, and I still failed.

You didn't fail. I misread.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
By the way, there's been some talk about Mo versus Alexis Jones and whether Jones should be the higher ranked player. My contention is Mo has a skill set that is unique and special, and that HG absolutely has it right.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Hello Boneyard!

Just got home (finally) from the festivities here in Chicago including the game!

The game was really good. Not sure how it portrayed on television but was a really great atmosphere. The fans in the stands wanted a no call at the end of the game for an overtime! I was sure that was what was going to happen. From the stands ALL the girls were getting along and enjoying each other. Great nite.

Now, onto the 3 UCONN recruits!

ALL three are AMAZING!!!! Hands down.

Breanna Stewart looked relaxed and comfortable. She brought the ball up the court like a guard several times and was hitting from a different spot each time she scored. She is going to be fantastic at UCONN!

Mo Jefferson is electric! She is lighting quick with the basketball and her passing. Some of her passes she should have hesitated, but WOW!!! I dont know how many assists she had but she made some nice passes that did not result in a score. She was very impressive. and to me a good PG. She can score and distribute. GA and crew will fine tune her abilities and watch out!

Morgan Tuck! Being from Chicago, Morgan did what Morgan does. She is that good! Has been all 4 years I have watched her! It still puzzles me why Hoopgurlz has her @ #15 (I will let Eric hash that story).

All three ladies played well and I cant wait until the coaches at UCONN get them in the gym.

Watch out! Those 3 are the bench next season!

I cant wait!

GO UCONN!!!!!!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Darn, I missed it. Anyone know when there will be a rebroadcast?

Reaction Score
Looks like Baylor will be even better next year with their 2 kids. They don't lose anyone of importance from this year.

UConn will also be better for sure. All 3 of our frosh are studs who will make instant impacts, KML and Kiah a year older and wise, ditto Hartley and Dolson, Faris, and Grandma Doty.

The level of talent in that game next year will be absurd!

Reaction Score
Brianna impressed me even long before her last minute flurry. One can't take too much out of these All Star Games. It's mostly everyone for themselves so the post players get somewhat ignored. What sticks in my mind is when Brianna got a rebound turned and released the outlet pass before her feet hit the floor. That was pure Bill Walton.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
By the way, there's been some talk about Mo versus Alexis Jones and whether Jones should be the higher ranked player. My contention is Mo has a skill set that is unique and special, and that HG absolutely has it right.

please expound, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET