#5 South Carolina @ #10 Kentucky - 1/10/21 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

#5 South Carolina @ #10 Kentucky - 1/10/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’m a fan of Howard, but as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Howard’s impact is primarily as a scorer. You don’t always see her impact other areas of the game...or so you think. Check her stats and you’ll see she’s also averaging 7.1 boards and 3.7 assists on the season. I haven’t seen her enough to gauge her defensive play, but it’s clear to me that Howard is just one of those “quietly dominant” players.

Kentucky looked fantastic to start the year, but Edwards has vanished and Patterson looks more inconsistent than last year. Take those two out and there’s not a ton else with which to surround Howard. Kentucky is a S16 team but needs help to get further. Howard can get you 25, 30, 35, but she can’t ring up 70 points on her own.
I think Edwards is the x-factor that separates Kentucky from being a Sweet 16 team to a real Final Four threat. She has completely disappeared in conference play and struggled big time in the second half yesterday. They need her or Owens to step up inside and provide a real presence in the paint, otherwise it's all guards.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I’m a fan of Howard, but as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Howard’s impact is primarily as a scorer. You don’t always see her impact other areas of the game...or so you think. Check her stats and you’ll see she’s also averaging 7.1 boards and 3.7 assists on the season. I haven’t seen her enough to gauge her defensive play, but it’s clear to me that Howard is just one of those “quietly dominant” players.

Kentucky looked fantastic to start the year, but Edwards has vanished and Patterson looks more inconsistent than last year. Take those two out and there’s not a ton else with which to surround Howard. Kentucky is a S16 team but needs help to get further. Howard can get you 25, 30, 35, but she can’t ring up 70 points on her own.
It's no coincidence that when Howard is "getting hers" her teammates tend to recede to spectator status. This is why Kentucky last year would've been no higher than a 6 seed, but the only thing Howard could talk about in the offseason is how she felt disrespected by not being named to one of the AA teams. Well, she's probably happy with how the game went because she certainly boosted her individual award profile.

Reaction Score
not sure what you mean by "it's a tough one for sure with Cooper."

Is there some recruiting news on her other than purported "offers?" I know here stock went up this Summer/Fall at events like the Wooden Camp. However, I have heard only crickets as to who she may or may not be favoring.

Edit Add-on: She had 21 points, 22 rebs, 10 assists, & 10 blocks last night

She and Rivers are pretty good friends / rivals who play a similar position.

It's unlikely we get them all, but it's possible.

Reaction Score
It's no coincidence that when Howard is "getting hers" her teammates tend to recede to spectator status. This is why Kentucky last year would've been no higher than a 6 seed, but the only thing Howard could talk about in the offseason is how she felt disrespected by not being named to one of the AA teams. Well, she's probably happy with how the game went because she certainly boosted her individual award profile.
That’s true as well, and why I would be surprised if Howard doesn’t exit UK for the draft assuming she can do so academically (I believe she’s ineligible by age/birthyear). More focused on individual than team performance, although I think shes quieter and less toxic about it then, say, a certain Dream player whose college team is all the better in her absence.

Reaction Score
I think Edwards is the x-factor that separates Kentucky from being a Sweet 16 team to a real Final Four threat. She has completely disappeared in conference play and struggled big time in the second half yesterday. They need her or Owens to step up inside and provide a real presence in the paint, otherwise it's all guards.
Totally agree. Edwards can play—this we know—so if she and Owens can combine for, say, 20 points and 15 rebounds a night, UK becomes a top ten team. Howard, Patterson, Green, and McKinney (with her defense and shooting range) are nothing you’re going to ignore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom