#5 Oregon St vs #4 Oregon - 3/04/21 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

#5 Oregon St vs #4 Oregon - 3/04/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
They do. They played Stanford tough for 3 quarters last time and then got blown out in the 4th. Not really feeling good about their chances in this one either.
And I wouldn’t count them out. It’s not like Stanford went undefeated in conference. If they’re good enough to beat everyone else then sure as heck have a chance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did Sedona Prince sit the entire fourth quarter for attitude reasons? Prince can get chirpy with her own teammates when things don't go well.
She is not even close to Sabrina. "Hey. Satou shoot the f*@#! ball"

Reaction Score
However the game turns out, it will be a timely measuring stick for OSU before the BIG DANCE!

Reaction Score
Quite the opposing trajectories of these two teams. Oregon has been dreadful in the latter half of the season, and Oregon State went from laying eggs to salvage its season in the last 3 weeks with massive wins over UCLA and Oregon (twice now), absolutely no doubt they're in the tournament now.

I would qualify that both their wins over the Ducks came with Paopao unavailable.

Reaction Score
I would qualify that both their wins over the Ducks came with Paopao unavailable.
I would qualify that both their wins over the Ducks came with Kennedy Brown unavailable...you know, that 6'6", 5 star, McDonald's AA who is injured for Oregon State (who was starting for OSU and playing an important role before she went down...a role that no doubt would have been even bigger this season).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oregon State seems to be one of those teams (Rutgers is the other) that benefitted (is that the correct word?) from an extended COVID pause. They're a completely different team now.
The exact opposite argument can be and has been made. Rueck himself has discussed the downsides.

Plebe

Reaction Score
However the game turns out, it will be a timely measuring stick for OSU before the BIG DANCE!
Ironically, this latest win probably gives them a less desirable NCAA seeding, up from a likely 10/11 seed to the dreaded 8/9 hole. They may need to beat one #1 NCAA seed today (Stanford) to avoid having to face another in the 2nd round.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I imagine you think Paopao's absence hurt Oregon significantly and could have contributed or did contribute to their 2 losses to Oregon State. Interestingly, that is not the same as Kelly Graves's take...as he states at the start of the post-game presser after Sunday's game....in the absences of a star, other players step up in the short term, thereby minimizing the impact of the lost player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oregon State seems to be one of those teams (Rutgers is the other) that benefitted (is that the correct word?) from an extended COVID pause. They're a completely different team now.
Benefitted is a good word. I think strategized is another. From what I heard Rutgers had quite a plan in place that kept all of the players in the loop while dealing with the pause. If recollection is correct, OSU worked out a lot of kinks as well.

Reaction Score
Ironically, this latest win probably gives them a less desirable NCAA seeding, up from a likely 10/11 seed to the dreaded 8/9 hole. They may need to beat one #1 NCAA seed today (Stanford) to avoid having to face another in the 2nd round.
This year, huge mystery how each team will be seeded. I don't think this OSU team is concerned about where they will be seeded--they just want to play.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I imagine you think Paopao's absence hurt Oregon significantly and could have contributed or did contribute to their 2 losses to Oregon State. Interestingly, that is not the same as Kelly Graves's take...as he states at the start of the post-game presser after Sunday's game....in the absences of a star, other players step up in the short term, thereby minimizing the impact of the lost player.

Kelly Graves is a straight up guy. He gave full credit to Oregon St throughout this postgame. Said he hopes his team is underestimated now and still has full confidence in them.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Kelly Graves is a straight up guy. He gave full credit to Oregon St throughout this postgame. Said he hopes his team is underestimated now and still has full confidence in them.
Yes, exactly. He's not going to bemoan that one of his best players was unavailable for the game because he knows that it would come across as making excuses and he doesn't want to take away from the opponent's win. But of course it goes without saying Oregon is a lesser team without Paopao.

Reaction Score
Yes, exactly. He's not going to bemoan that one of his best players was unavailable for the game because he knows that it would come across as making excuses and he doesn't want to take away from the opponent's win. But of course it goes without saying Oregon is a lesser team without Paopao.
As is Oregon State without Kennedy Brown. It's "funny" how many folks ignore or "forget" this fact yet push the Paopao argument.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Irrelevant to the original point.

Maybe ease up on the pugilism. Not everything is an attack.
It is totally relevant. Ducks are/were missing an important player and so are/were the Beavers. People are free to point out the loss of a key player and so am I. And yes, not everything is an attack...you are very right about that. Finally, I'm not into boxing, but I do like Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Graves said something that almost makes me like him:

"It’s not fun losing. And it’s especially not fun losing to the Beavers."

None of that, "just another game" mantra that too many coaches regurgitate.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I remember Graves during pre-season talking up Sedona Prince like she hung the moon. Doesn't seem like she's come close to validating his praise and expectations thus far this season. Hard to believe a 6'7 player is only averaging 3.8 rebounds per game; granted, she's only making her way onto the court 18.1 minutes a game.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It is totally relevant. Ducks are/were missing an important player and so are/were the Beavers. People are free to point out the loss of a key player and so am I. And yes, not everything is an attack...you are very right about that. Finally, I'm not into boxing, but I do like Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer".
There is a significant difference between losing a key player midseason and not having a key player available all season long for an injury sustained 12 months ago. If the latter were the case with Paopao, then our friend @maccca3232 would certainly not have bothered to point out the issue.

But it's okay! Take the win and celebrate it! The dignity and honor of Oregon State is not lessened because of it.

Reaction Score
There is a significant difference between losing a key player midseason and not having a key player available all season long for an injury sustained 12 months ago. If the latter were the case with Paopao, then our friend @maccca3232 would certainly not have bothered to point out the issue.

But it's okay! Take the win and celebrate it! The dignity and honor of Oregon State is not lessened because of it.
! agree that Oregon State had a lot more time to try and adjust to the loss of a key player (Brown) compared to Oregon which had very little time to adjust to the sudden loss of Paopao. However, I don't see how Oregon State ever made up for the huge loss of Brown, even as others of less skill and ability have practiced and played her position in her absence. And, surely Oregon practiced with other gals running the point long before Paopao's injury. Graves would have been derelict in his duty not to do so. Surely Oregon was not caught completely off "guard" - pun intended :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom