4K TV recommendation | Page 4 | The Boneyard

4K TV recommendation

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Anyone have recommendations for 55 to 65 inch 4K TVs? Need a living room upgrade.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have to amend my comments on TV app systems. TCL has switched from Roku to Google. Sony has switched from android to Google. Both of those should be good, however, Netflix isn’t native.

I am considering replacing my 65 with a 75. We watch a lot of movies. The 65 would go to the family room, the 50 in the family room would go to the bedroom and the 46 in the bedroom would either replace the ancient TV in my workout area or go with my daughter to college.

Rtings seems to like the Sony XR75X90J, the Samsung QN75Q and gives a good score to the TCL 6 Series/R646. Both the Sony and TCL have big discounts right now at Best Buy. Downside for TCL to me is it’s 4 inches thick. Both the Sony and TCL are VA panels, Samsung is IPS. Samsung has better viewing angles but less contrast.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Do u like the tv using the streaming stick?
Maybe to three months ago I changed over to using Chromecast for YouTube TV because YouTube TV has resolution issues going through my, admittedly old, LG. For an old guy like me it’s more natural to reach for the remote, but you get used to it. For what it’s worth scrolling through available programs on your phone is much faster than scrolling down the guide on the television.

Reaction Score
Have to amend my comments on TV app systems. TCL has switched from Roku to Google. Sony has switched from android to Google. Both of those should be good, however, Netflix isn’t native.

I am considering replacing my 65 with a 75. We watch a lot of movies. The 65 would go to the family room, the 50 in the family room would go to the bedroom and the 46 in the bedroom would either replace the ancient TV in my workout area or go with my daughter to college.

Rtings seems to like the Sony XR75X90J, the Samsung QN75Q and gives a good score to the TCL 6 Series/R646. Both the Sony and TCL have big discounts right now at Best Buy. Downside for TCL to me is it’s 4 inches thick. Both the Sony and TCL are VA panels, Samsung is IPS. Samsung has better viewing angles but less contrast.
Thx. I’m between the Sony and Samsung too. Rtings seems to have the Samsung a bit higher. Only issue holding me back from Samsung is number of native apps.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thx. I’m between the Sony and Samsung too. Rtings seems to have the Samsung a bit higher. Only issue holding me back from Samsung is number of native apps.

Samsung costs $400 more right now. The one I’m tempted by is the new Hisense. First Dual Cell, giving it blacks nearly as good as OLED. Hisense ULED Dual-Cell Premium 75U9DG

But check Samsung vs Sony to see if they have an IPS panel or VA panel. If you need wide angle viewing, go IPS. AV will have better contrast.

Reaction Score
Samsung costs $400 more right now. The one I’m tempted by is the new Hisense. First Dual Cell, giving it blacks nearly as good as OLED. Hisense ULED Dual-Cell Premium 75U9DG

But check Samsung vs Sony to see if they have an IPS panel or VA panel. If you need wide angle viewing, go IPS. AV will have better contrast.
Thx. We r getting a smaller tv than u and it prob is better with the wider viewing angle. Do u know what was std 5 years ago IPS or VA?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Go online and look at any review between the Sony 80J or the 90J and any Samsung. Then get back to me about Samsung's higher ratings.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Thx. We r getting a smaller tv than u and it prob is better with the wider viewing angle. Do u know what was std 5 years ago IPS or VA?
Not a lot of VA screens at the top of the TV heap these days.

Reaction Score
Go online and look at any review between the Sony 80J or the 90J and any Samsung. Then get back to me about Samsung's higher ratings.
Not looking for a fight….just looking for insight. Rtings.com had the Samsung as a top 5. I’m looking fir advice asince I don’t follow this closely. They have Samsung rated higher than Sony. Lmk The 5 Best TVs - Black Friday 2021: Reviews

JordyG

Reaction Score
Not looking for a fight….just looking for insight. Rtings.com had the Samsung as a top 5. I’m looking fir advice asince I don’t follow this closely. They have Samsung rated higher than Sony. Lmk The 5 Best TVs - Black Friday 2021: Reviews
Actually the Samsung is rated as best LED TV. If you're not looking for an OLED Samsung is the obvious choice.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Thx. Not looking for an Oled. Room is too bright
Understood. Just remember when you get your Samsung (or any TV for that matter) you have to do two things. One is change the factory settings to "Movie" which will gets your Samsung closest to ISF standards. Go to Samsung QN90A QLED Calibration Settings for the best settings. Second, connect your TV to your router (wired or wireless) and update your TV. Occasionally some apps or even the TV itself won't work properly without the latest updates...and don't forget to mail in your warranty. I always buy at least the 3 year plan from the dealer. With BestBuy I bought the 5 year plan for in home repair/replacement. Happy viewing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

IPS is the old standard. It loses some things in terms of movie viewing and contrast, but is good for sports or a general purpose family room TV.

As I said earlier. Everyone focuses on brands. They don’t matter much. Figure out what your use case is. Bright room? Dark? Straight ahead or wide angle? Movies, TV, Gaming? The best TV will vary. For all the love OLED gets they suck in bright rooms. Lower priced TVs will perform better.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Actually the Samsung is rated as best LED TV. If you're not looking for an OLED Samsung is the obvious choice.

That’s not really true. As for settings, out of the box Sony crushes Samsung which will need calibration. The Sony’s have better software across the board, for things like upscaling, even if the specs are less impressive on paper. And quality control is much better.

If you get an LED that isn’t a Sony, calibrate it outside the standard settings.

At the moment, the top LED Tv is that Hisense I mentioned.

JordyG

Reaction Score
That’s not really true. As for settings, out of the box Sony crushes Samsung which will need calibration. The Sony’s have better software across the board, for things like upscaling, even if the specs are less impressive on paper. And quality control is much better.

If you get an LED that isn’t a Sony, calibrate it outside the standard settings.

At the moment, the top LED Tv is that Hisense I mentioned.
Like I'm going to argue with another Sony lover.

Reaction Score
Thx for the help guys....ended up with the Samsung 55....old Tv is pushing 6 years...will be interesting to see the new picture quality...but not in time for Atlantis

I had a bad experience with TCL last year so sticking with known brands....and RTings.com

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just saw Walmart will have a 55"-75" 4K UHD's from Sony, Samsung, TCL and a few other brands for $450-$850. Pick a price point and there's multiple choices.

Reaction Score
needed to buy another tv. Best Buy pooped the bed. Been promising me a Sony oled for 4 weeks. Finally got an honest rep after 2 hr wait that said not in stock….even though chat support said truck broke down. so..be Leary of Best Buy orders

But my question is what do folks think about LG A1 series OLED. costco has them in stock for under 1k

Reaction Score
LG is always solid, but I've beat the drum here for TCL from the start, undeniable quality - on par with the big names, for below market prices.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
needed to buy another tv. Best Buy pooped the bed. Been promising me a Sony oled for 4 weeks. Finally got an honest rep after 2 hr wait that said not in stock….even though chat support said truck broke down. so..be Leary of Best Buy orders

But my question is what do folks think about LG A1 series OLED. costco has them in stock for under 1k
These folks know more than the people here. As always with OLED, not best for bright rooms.

Reaction Score
These folks know more than the people here. As always with OLED, not best for bright rooms.

Thx for the bright light reminder. But this is going in a den that we had to add lighting to. Lol. When I bought a tv a few months ago for the LR went with Samsung qled for that reason

Reaction Score

Do u think it’s better to get an entry level
oled Sony A80CJ or LG A1 or a higher end qled or similar? Room is dark enough for oled

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Do u think it’s better to get an entry level
oled Sony A80CJ or LG A1 or a higher end qled or similar? Room is dark enough for oled
It's all really a cost/budget + use equation. Unlike even 5-6 years ago, almost everything is damned good. It all depends on use case. Aside from dark/light room, what do you connect it to? In my family room, the TCL Roku interface is valuable. In my basement home theater room, it's not. Are you using the TV smart features at all? If so, what do you like? If you're a Google play house, A Sony will fit nicely. Get the latest HDMI, and plenty of slots. Also, look at viewing angles and think about your room.

Look at this. Green across the board. You almost can't make a mistake anymore unless you buy a Westinghouse at WalMart or something. The cheapest Samsungs are also bad.

Reaction Score
It's all really a cost/budget + use equation. Unlike even 5-6 years ago, almost everything is damned good. It all depends on use case. Aside from dark/light room, what do you connect it to? In my family room, the TCL Roku interface is valuable. In my basement home theater room, it's not. Are you using the TV smart features at all? If so, what do you like? If you're a Google play house, A Sony will fit nicely. Get the latest HDMI, and plenty of slots. Also, look at viewing angles and think about your room.

Look at this. Green across the board. You almost can't make a mistake anymore unless you buy a Westinghouse at WalMart or something. The cheapest Samsungs are also bad.
well u can guess what happened. Got to Costco and saw the LG c2. Budget not honored. Lol

Reaction Score
FYI, I have a 75 inch TCL Roku. After several months, just when it's out of retailer's warranty, it constantly turns off and on by itself. Right in the middle of shows. Totally unrelated to wife / streaming, etc., since it happens with cable connection too. TCL will not replace. It's a 4 figure hunk of junk. We can't live with it so we're talking about selling it for $50 for parts, but so far no takers. I think it'll just end up at the tech depot dump in town.

Reaction Score
FYI, I have a 75 inch TCL Roku. After several months, just when it's out of retailer's warranty, it constantly turns off and on by itself. Right in the middle of shows. Totally unrelated to wife / streaming, etc., since it happens with cable connection too. TCL will not replace. It's a 4 figure hunk of junk. We can't live with it so we're talking about selling it for $50 for parts, but so far no takers. I think it'll just end up at the tech depot dump in town.
Have you tried only controlling the television via the Roku app? That's how we do all of ours at this point. Do you have multiple Roku TVs in the house?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom