#4 Baylor @ #16 Arkansas - 12/06/20 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

#4 Baylor @ #16 Arkansas - 12/06/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
SC as a team has shot 37% from beyond 3 on 70 attempts this year so we are much better than that one game you watched. We prefer to get the ball inside or score in transition but we can shoot the 3 if we have to. The starting backcourt has hit 16 out of 35 3s attempted(46%). So go ahead and leave them open.

SC was 13 for 44 from 3pt range heading into the Iowa St. game, an uncharacteristic 13 for 26 in that game buoyed those stats substantially. They had a great shooting day, but I would take my chances that they cannot consistently do that. How did leaving shooters open work out for you guys against NC State?

Reaction Score
Absolutely right on Smith and Egbo. Nalyssa is at her best off the bounce, in transition and off offensive rebounds. Queen has legit low post moves, especially against undersized or slow defenders. Too often they seem to do it backwards, with Queen in the high post and Nalyssa trying to post up like Kalani Brown. I think it would be a mistake to run the offense with Smith as the primary option in the half court. Queen is better suited to that role. There will still be plenty of opportunity for Nalyssa to make plays like she did the last 2 years.
ROFLMAO :D :D

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SC is not a 3 point shooting team, it’s literally our last resort at times. That said, Henderson and Cooke are not the kind of guards that I would leave open at the arc.. both can get hot out there more often than not and if they hit a few early then they’re going to hit all night. An opposing team has to snatch that confidence from them in the first quarter because otherwise....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
SC is not a 3 point shooting team, it’s literally our last resort at times. That said, Henderson and Cooke are not the kind of guards that I would leave open at the arc.. both can get hot out there more often than not and if they hit a few early then they’re going to hit all night. An opposing team has to snatch that confidence from them in the first quarter because otherwise....
...that kind of shooting get contagious and expands to Boston & Beal and you really know you are in trouble when bench players like Russell and Littleton come in the game and start splashing from deep. This makes SC a completely different team- pretty close to unbeatable if SC is attempting (26) 3Pt shots and making half of them.

Reaction Score

Like I said after the NC State game, Henderson and Cooke are better shooters and players than they showed vs NC State.

Credit to NC State for blowing up our sets, but Carolina was a completely different outfit vs Iowa State. Not so much the knocking down of shots, but in actually running an offense and moving the ball. Pretty remarkable really. Again, all the credit to NC State's defense.

Reaction Score
I feel like Didi is a decent PG but I feel like it takes away from what she does well off the ball. Ideally, I think the best potential lineup should be Andrews, Carrington, Didi, Smith and Ebgo. That way everyone is in their natural position and you have a great scoring option off the bench in Moon ursin. I think Kim should bite the bullet and give Andrews more minutes moving forward. Trinity is a great kid but is in over her head as a starter and I don't think Moon is assertive enough overall on both ends of the floor to be a full time starter.

Like I stated earlier, Baylor is using Smith and Egbo the wrong way. Its almost like Kim is playing them like Cox/Brown except they are very different players. Smith should not be playing with her back to the basket in the low post. Egbo should not be all the way out at the top of the key, she is your true low post player but the issue with Queen (despite how crazy talented she is), is that she is fundamentally unsound which leads to foul trouble very often for her.
The problem with Smith is where do you play her. She is not a PF or good posting up. She did most if not all of her damage hitting the open lanes for rebounds and put backs or drives to the basket. She is not a good perimeter shooter and would have trouble guarding perimiter players. Her situation the last two years were ideal for her to flourish in doing what she does best. The problem is that the team does not have Brown or Cox anymore.

Mulkey used her in a way that benefitted the team, She basically played the same position as DeCosta did in high school, but Mulkey allowed her to play to her existing skill set, where as DeCosta was transitioned to a guard positition. As a wing you have to shoot a decent percentage from 3pt land. Smith is not a good shooter from there, but rather relies on open lanes to the basket both for rebounds and scoring. I think she has only hit one three pointer her entire Baylor career. She has to develop a three if she has any shot at succeeding at the next level, which is why she continues to shoot and not make them. I mean she is still an excellent combo PF/SF for college- however, as a tweener she excells at neither. She needs to be in a system that will allow her to do what she did the last two years, but Baylor does not have the talent for her to do so. She might actually fit in better in Arkansas system.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem with Smith is where do you play her. She is not a PF or good posting up. She did most if not all of her damage hitting the open lanes for rebounds and put backs or drives to the basket. She is not a good perimeter shooter and would have trouble guarding perimiter players. Her situation the last two years were ideal for her to flourish in doing what she does best. The problem is that the team does not have Brown or Cox anymore.

She actually had a very solid mid ranger jumper her first two years, that was actually a big part of her game when she played with brown and cox. Smith does not have a 3 point shot though which she has to get way better at moving forward. She has been really bad so far with her mid range shooting but point taken.

Smith honestly wasn’t bad against Arkansas offensively. She was fine, she was absolutely awful defensively all night not moving her feet guarding players. My opinion is no matter how good Smith and Egbo are, other kids need to make some shots to help them out and open up some space inside. The last few years, Jackson, Landrum and Cooper were very strong shooters from the perimeter which opened up things inside. Lauren Cox even being a threat from 3 was a game changer for Egbo and Smith last year. Got to have threats from outside in order to open things up inside. Until then, it’s gonna be a traffic jam inside and teams will pack it in until Baylor can make them pay from outside

Reaction Score
Dammit, I forgot I was in Arkansas's thread.

Sorry. I'm proud of the Razorbacks for the win. I'm a supporter of what they've been doing.

This was a great game. Mike Neighbors is a special talent!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom