3rd Maryland transfer | The Boneyard

3rd Maryland transfer

Reaction Score
Taylor Mikesell 5 11 guard..
This has been talked about at length on the General Board transfer thread.

Interesting to note that the entire 2018 class for Maryland entered the transfer portal. Sort of like the 2013 class for North Carolina but not all in the same season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Taylor Mikesell 5 11 guard..
Ouch! She is MD’s designated sharpshooter. I know Brenda has lost some players through the years, but this year there is an absolute stampede to get out of College Park. Something really bad going on with the Terps.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Terps also added Katie Benzan, the top 3-point shooter in Ivy League history and a graduate of Caroline Ducharme's current prep school, as a grad transfer from Harvard. She is 5'6", was All-Ivy multiple times, and has nearly 300 treys.

Reaction Score
Nikki needs to see if we can make the swap out. Mikesell would be a nice pickup.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The Lady Terps are going to be in deep you know what next season. With graduation and transfers they’ve lost 5 of their top 6 players from this past season. They have some players coming back and some freshmen and transfers coming in, but the situation at MD is extremely unsettled.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd, take notice - something is going on at Maryland (just like Tennessee)...

And before anyone says "but UCONN had Walker's entire class of Coombs, Hunter and Gordon transfer out", there's a huge difference between bench or role players leaving, vs. stars/starters and key players who average 30+ minutes per game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd, take notice - something is going on at Maryland (just like Tennessee)...

And before anyone says "but UCONN had Walker's entire class of Coombs, Hunter and Gordon transfer out", there's a huge difference between bench or role players leaving, vs. stars/starters and key players who average 30+ minutes per game.
One could put together a nice roster of Maryland transfers: Slocum, Gillespie, Austin, Mikesell, and Owens.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Lady Terps are going to be in deep you know what next season. With graduation and transfers they’ve lost 5 of their top 6 players from this past season. They have some players coming back and some freshmen and transfers coming in, but the situation at MD is extremely unsettled.
It puts some pressure on Owusu and Reese. Given Angel's reputation, I'm not sure she'll be in College Park for 4 years.

Reaction Score
It puts some pressure on Owusu and Reese. Given Angel's reputation, I'm not sure she'll be in College Park for 4 years.

her club coach did say she’s not easy to coach at times, so I wonder how Brenda will handle that. Maryland will be big on the wing with Reese and Miller both listed at 6’3.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This has been talked about at length on the General Board transfer thread.

Interesting to note that the entire 2018 class for Maryland entered the transfer portal. Sort of like the 2013 class for North Carolina but not all in the same season.
Any insight why Taylor left or wants to leave, was it due to Ashley potentially taking her PG type role?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Long ago I predicted 1 year and out since "Coach wanted to change my game" will be a factor.

Reaction Score
Any insight why Taylor left or wants to leave, was it due to Ashley potentially taking her PG type role?
The word here in College Park is Taylor wanted the offense to run through her more. Especially as a PG. With Owusu and the return of Channise Lewis (who had a monster game against South Carolina in 2018) playing PG was not an option for Mikesell. Signing Benzan who Brenda likes a ton was the final nail in the coffin.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The word here in College Park is Taylor wanted the offense to run through her more. Especially as a PG. With Owusu and the return of Channise Lewis (who had a monster game against South Carolina in 2018) playing PG was not an option for Mikesell. Signing Benzan who Brenda likes a ton was the final nail in the coffin.
Benzan is 5'6" but probably less athletic than Dangerfield. Can she get her shot off against elite competition?

Reaction Score

Maryland is very strange. They have produced some of the best WCBB talent that's now in the WNBA. But on the other hand, they seem plagued by high-level transfers. Of course, every program loses kids to transfer. But it's usually not your best player, or a player with big minutes. Usually, as per UConn, kids who aren't getting playing time, or those who feel they'll get even less playing time in light of big-talent recruits.

But Maryland keeps losing really good players, even though the program continues to be successful.

Not the norm.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Benzan is 5'6" but probably less athletic than Dangerfield. Can she get her shot off against elite competition?
I love the Ivy League. The teams are full of smart kids who play hard. But outside of Alarie, there really are few if any players who can step up from the Ivies to the BIG easily. That is especially true for a 5’6” shooting guard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love the Ivy League. The teams are full of smart kids who play hard. But outside of Alarie, there really are few if any players who can step up from the Ivies to the ACC easily. That is especially true for a 5’6” shooting guard.
Taryn McCutcheon 5'5" and Karissa McLaughlin 5'6" have done well as starters in the Big 10. I doubt Maryland will expect a ton from Benzan next season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Havent seen her play but I'd be surprised if she can. Going from Ivy to Big Ten is a completely different level of athleticism and size that she'll be going up against to try and get her shot off. Mikesell is a big loss--really good shooter and a solid player out there. She'll be a good pickup wherever she lands. Maryland went from being a legitimate title threat to a borderline top 10 team with those 2 leaving. Owusu and Miller are solid and they have quality transfers coming in Bibby/Collins but they wont make up the difference.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One could put together a nice roster of Maryland transfers: Slocum, Gillespie, Austin, Mikesell, and Owens.
Ist Team PG: Lexie Brown, SG Taylor Mikesell, SF Kia Gillespie, PF Austin, C: Jenna Staiti
2nd Team: PG Destiny Slocum, SG Natasha Cloud, SF Kiara Leslie, PF Aja Ellison C Owens
Honorable mention: PG Dara Taylor, SG Sarah Myers

Reaction Score
I've watched Brenda Freese on the bench a few times when Maryland played. Perhaps I read something into it that wasn't there but she always appeared to be distanced from her players. Geno and CD, on the other hand, are constantly involved during the entire game. Some people might feel that they are often times being critical but it's actually teaching and that is one of the things that separate our players.

Reaction Score
Ist Team PG: Lexie Brown, SG Taylor Mikesell, SF Kia Gillespie, PF Austin, C: Jenna Staiti
2nd Team: PG Destiny Slocum, SG Natasha Cloud, SF Kiara Leslie, PF Aja Ellison C Owens
Honorable mention: PG Dara Taylor, SG Sarah Myers
Other players include Whitney Bays who made 2nd team Big 10. Drey Mingo who went to Purdue and A'Lexus Harrison who went to St. Francis (where her team got demolished in the NCAA tournament by UConn).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom