30 for 30....Requiem for the Big East | The Boneyard

30 for 30....Requiem for the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh, this should be interesting.

ESPN Films’ 30 for 30 series will continue with “Requiem For The Big East,” premiering Sunday, March 16, at 9 p.m. ET after Bracketology on ESPN. The film, directed by Peabody Award-winning filmmaker Ezra Edelman,explores the meteoric ascension of the Big East Conference, and how in less than a decade under the innovative leadership of founder and Commissioner Dave Gavitt, it became the most successful college basketball sports league in America.

At the end of it, John Swofford bursts into the Big East's offices and hits Mike Tranghese in the knee with a crowbar.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
"In setting out to make a film about the Big East, I hoped to not simply tell a story about the rise of a great basketball conference but also understand and ultimately convey the causes of its fall. That, in doing so, I would get to sit down and talk with many of the players and coaches who were a part of so many afternoons and evenings during my childhood was an added benefit. And what I quickly realized in talking to them was that it wasn't just fans like myself who were saddened, even angry, by the Big East's demise: so, too, were many of those who helped build the league from nothing.

Hopefully, "Requiem For The Big East" will educate the uninitiated on what made the Big East great, while also informing long-time fans why it was doomed to fall apart."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Any discussion of the Big East's fall that does not begin with "A series of crippling TV contracts that resulted in raids by the ESPN backed ACC which made each succeeding TV contract worse than the last, and ultimately resulted in over half the conference deciding they would rather work with another network" is a gross misrepresentation of history.

Reaction Score
"The film is told primarily through the lens of famed Big East coaches such as Jim Boeheim, Lou Carnesecca, Rick Pitino and John Thompson, former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese, and some of its most iconic players like Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin and Ed Pinckney. It chronicles the rivalries and successes that led many of them to become household names."

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...nces-next-30-30-documentary-requiem-big-east/

Does anyone know whether Calhoun was asked to be a part of it or did he decline?

Reaction Score
Hopefully, "Requiem For The Big East" will educate the uninitiated on what made the Big East great, while also informing long-time fans why it was doomed to fall apart."
Ha.

The Big East may have been doomed to fall, but ESPN certainly put its demise on the fast track.

ESPN deserves to have its poor ethics exposed. It won't happen (the Horde has been unsurprisingly MIA during all of this), but it deserves that much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"The film is told primarily through the lens of famed Big East coaches such as Jim Boeheim, Lou Carnesecca, Rick Pitino and John Thompson, former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese, and some of its most iconic players like Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin and Ed Pinckney. It chronicles the rivalries and successes that led many of them to become household names."

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...nces-next-30-30-documentary-requiem-big-east/

Does anyone know whether Calhoun was asked to be a part of it or did he decline?

I'm going go out on a limb and say that UConn is hardly mentioned in the piece. It's will be a lovefest of the formation of the BE to Slick Rick's Providence FF. Then they will spend the last 5 minutes about the demise. Why include us..., its not like we carried the conference for 15 years.

Reaction Score
I'm going go out on a limb and say that UConn is hardly mentioned in the piece. It's will be a lovefest of the formation of the BE to Slick Rick's Providence FF. Then they will spend the last 5 minutes about the demise. Why include us..., its not like we carried the conference for 15 years.

Gonna go out on a limb and say this will be 95% about the 80's, and 5% about the end of the conference. They might mention the 1996 BET.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It will also denigrate the basketball schools and blame them for the conference demise, since they are on Fox now.

Reaction Score
Ha.

The Big East may have been doomed to fall, but ESPN certainly put its demise on the fast track.

ESPN is a disgusting corporation that deserves to have its poor ethics exposed.

Maybe this will expose ESPNs poor business practices and ethics from a couple years ago. Or maybe it will bash the quality of the current Big East. Anyone care to guess which is more likely?

Reaction Score
Ha.

ESPN is a disgusting corporation that deserves to have its poor ethics exposed.
You didn't major in business, did you?

Reaction Score
I minored in it. And while ESPN may not have broken the law, their actions certainly don't qualify as ethical.
"Hostile takeover". Except, it wasn't really hostile since schools were fighting for a place in the ACC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The Easter Bunny has a better shot at being in this thing than the truth does.

I guess the victor gets to write history - as the saying goes....

Reaction Score
upload_2014-2-24_18-7-27.jpeg

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Maybe this will expose ESPNs poor business practices and ethics from a couple years ago. Or maybe it will bash the quality of the current Big East. Anyone care to guess which is more likely?
Maybe they can get some insights from the Pitt president on how to negotiate tv contracts.

Reaction Score
The hybrid nature of the Big East spared us being in the MAC. Otherwise, we'd be in the MAC with UMass right now.

Reaction Score
"In setting out to make a film about the Big East, I hoped to not simply tell a story about the rise of a great basketball conference but also understand and ultimately convey the causes of its fall. That, in doing so, I would get to sit down and talk with many of the players and coaches who were a part of so many afternoons and evenings during my childhood was an added benefit. And what I quickly realized in talking to them was that it wasn't just fans like myself who were saddened, even angry, by the Big East's demise: so, too, were many of those who helped build the league from nothing.

I only have one problem with this. The Big East hasn't fallen. Actually I think it was saved from falling by actually going back to its roots: Basketball. I think the Big East has a very bright future under its new configuration and if ever needs to reload, it has plenty of teams it can take from the Atlantic-10. ESPN continue to create the perception (for business reasons, revenge against FS1, or whatever it is) that the Big East is gone from the earth. Seven basketball-oriented members remain and three modern basketball program joined the league.

The Big East has 10 members and at-least five members with legitimate chances of making the NCAA tourney this year. Is ranked fourth in RPI and has two out of 10 teams in the top 25. Give this league a few more years, raid the A-10 and the league is back getting six-eight bids under a more stable situation without King Football messing things up.

ESPN is fcking dirty. I still don't understand how some folks here have such a loyalty to that network after seeing how they almost destroyed Connecticut with all this CR crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom