30 for 30 on now- BC and the Mob | The Boneyard

30 for 30 on now- BC and the Mob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was that KO sitting next to Jason Kidd when Rick Kuhn was giving the speech to the high schoolers?

Reaction Score
Was that KO sitting next to Jason Kidd when Rick Kuhn was giving the speech to the high schoolers?
I didn't notice, never realized what a horrible fix the whole thing actually was.

Reaction Score
BzZDHw9CQAEhNoE.jpg

Reaction Score
That young Nazi-looking kid is Duke goon Erik Meek, I believe.

I think so, I was watching the 94 Great 8 game the other day and he was a senior the same year KO was so that would put him in the same class.

Reaction Score
The piece was pretty good and the funny thing is at the time I hardly remembered much about it. I was hanging around the campus with little knowledge of this going on as my buddies, Jay Murphy and Robert Biestek, were up there playing basketball and football. Just went up and visited some weekends, went to games and partied during the 80-83 seasons...........

The names in this bring back memories. Bowie, the poor kid got thrown in by mistake. Nice job by Leslie. Dwan Chandler ended up being a nice player. Kevin Mackey looks like he was smoking crack for a long time (oh yeah he WAS at Cleveland St lol), Bruce Pearl was the manager. How about Mike Mayock of Notre Dame football announcer-fame being Sweeney's roommate?

A pretty interesting piece because of the mob involvement. Kuhn got the worst end of the deal and Cobb/Sweeney will be the only one's who will ever know how deeply they were involved. Honestly, I don't know who to believe either.

Reaction Score
Anytime the "Holier Than Thou" BCU, gets a black eye is a good day with me.
Mackey & Bruce Pearl ... enough said! Even in this piece Mayock has nothing but positive things to say.
And its funny how the Feds stumbled upon this.

How much work did Leslie Visser get done on her face?
Cobb's interview was done at Trinity Catholic.

Reaction Score
Anytime the "Holier Than Thou" BCU, gets a black eye is a good day with me.
Mackey & Bruce Pearl ... enough said! Even in this piece Mayock has nothing but positive things to say.
And its funny how the Feds stumbled upon this.

How much work did Leslie Visser get done on her face?
Cobb's interview was done at Trinity Catholic.

It said he was coaching in Arizona. Was that really at TC?

Leslie Visser and hubby Dick Stockton both look like plastic faces.........people are screwed up!

Reaction Score
The piece was pretty good and the funny thing is at the time I hardly remembered much about it. I was hanging around the campus with little knowledge of this going on as my buddies, Jay Murphy and Robert Biestek, were up there playing basketball and football. Just went up and visited some weekends, went to games and partied during the 80-83 seasons......

The names in this bring back memories. Bowie, the poor kid got thrown in by mistake. Nice job by Leslie. Dwan Chandler ended up being a nice player. Kevin Mackey looks like he was smoking crack for a long time (oh yeah he WAS at Cleveland St lol), Bruce Pearl was the manager. How about Mike Mayock of Notre Dame football announcer-fame being Sweeney's roommate?

A pretty interesting piece because of the mob involvement. Kuhn got the worst end of the deal and Cobb/Sweeney will be the only one's who will ever know how deeply they were involved. Honestly, I don't know who to believe either.
Yep… The media involvement back then was night & day compared to now. The vultures would have been all over this in todays environment.

Bowie really got hosed & Vissor didn't seem too contrite about her role in connecting this kid to the scandal.

Thought Sweeney may have been more involved than he let on. He said he never did anything to support any type of fix, yet he admits to purposely fouling out of a game (Holy Cross) that BC was supposed to lose. That certainly would have been a welcome sight to the mobsters who were banking on BC losing & not covering the spread (BC ended up covering)…

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is possible that some of Ernie's interview was performed at Trinity (in Stamford) but the practices they were showing (where he was coaching) were not of any team from Stamford. I'm not sure why Trinity would have been used as it was not where he went to HS (he was a senior at Stamford High when I was a freshman) nor is it closer to where any of his family lives than Stamford High is.

As recently as a little more than a decade after the fact Ernie still swore that the only reason he was cut by the Nets (in favor of Rory Sparrow and Darwin Cook) was because of the point shaving allegations. I am not sure if that is the case (Sparrow and Cook were both taller than him and better skilled as point guards, Ernie was a better scorer) but it is what he truly believed.

I don't know how deeply he was involved but I was told by a few people (attorney's, an FBI agent who was involved with the case) that Enire's biggest mistake was to admitting to taking the money. While he was never indicted, that there was record of his admission to getting paid, he will always be linked to it and his denials will always be received with some doubt.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Henry Hill is such a rat loser.

Reaction Score
It is possible that some of Ernie's interview was performed at Trinity (in Stamford) but the practices they were showing (where he was coaching) were not of any team from Stamford. I'm not sure why Trinity would have been used as it was not where he went to HS (he was a senior at Stamford High when I was a freshman) nor is it closer to where any of his family lives than Stamford High is.

As recently as a little more than a decade after the fact Ernie still swore that the only reason he was cut by the Nets (in favor of Rory Sparrow and Darwin Cook) was because of the point shaving allegations. I am not sure if that is the case (Sparrow and Cook were both taller than him and better skilled as point guards, Ernie was a better scorer) but it is what he truly believed.

I don't know how deeply he was involved but I was told by a few people (attorney's, an FBI agent who was involved with the case) that Enire's biggest mistake was to admitting to taking the money. While he was never indicted, that there was record of his admission to getting paid, he will always be linked to it and his denials will always be received with some doubt.
Ernie Cobb was acquitted by a jury after, I think, a two week trial.
He was offered a deal with no jail time but wanted to clear his name.
I believe he thought that was the only way he could ever get another shot at the NBA.
I do not know if he did or did not.

Reaction Score
I believe he thought that was the only way he could ever get another shot at the NBA.
If you want a shot at the NBA, you don't go to BC

Reaction Score
I'm sure BC is thrilled to have this scandal floating around again.
I do not know if he did or did not.[/QUOTE
I don't know about BC but I'm loving it.:)

Reaction Score
Cobb ended up playing in Israel for a number of years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I'm not sure if Ernie was even indicted but the primary point was that in the court of public opinion, once the admission that he did accept money was out there nothing else mattered. The kids involved were basically ancillary to the case the Feds wanted to build against the mob (primarily Burke).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom