30 Days rumor gaining steam | Page 5 | The Boneyard

30 Days rumor gaining steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The 27 month exit commitment can by bought out. There is precedent to this:

http://wvrecord.com/news/241786-report-wvu-big-east-reach-conditional-20-million-settlement
I don't think anyone served their full BE exit period, so yeah it can be bought out. Still there that 27 month period works out well for the B1G timing wise, including allowing the conference to fully assimilate RU and MD before taking on a new member. Hmm I think I'll add that to the original post.

Reaction Score
My dad, who does not read the internet, doesn't know what Twitter is, didn't hear anything from Scott Gray, rarely ever talks to me about conference realignment, and doesn't usually pay any attention to all of that babble called me last night and predicted UConn would be in the B1G in a month. His reasoning was the tea leaves argument from an academic and athletic perspective. I told him he's nuts. I also hope I'm completely wrong.

Reaction Score
Just make sure she wears the right t-shirt at the press conference.....

111s0tc.jpg

I love Jennifer Lawrence. She is amazingly talented, hot, smart, cool, and down to earth. But this picture is by far the most unattractive I have ever seen her.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I love Jennifer Lawrence. She is amazingly talented, hot, smart, cool, and down to earth. But this picture is by far the most unattractive I have ever seen her.

My guess is that you'll find her infinitely more attractive as soon s she takes that shirt off.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My dad, who does not read the internet, doesn't know what Twitter is, didn't hear anything from Scott Gray, rarely ever talks to me about conference realignment, and doesn't usually pay any attention to all of that babble called me last night and predicted UConn would be in the B1G in a month. His reasoning was the tea leaves argument from an academic and athletic perspective. I told him he's nuts. I also hope I'm completely wrong.

I would love for your father to be correct.

I personally believe that we are well into the process of putting everything in place to end up in the B1G. I do however believe that the B1G acting now instead of after we reach the point where we can show some positive results in football will hurt our chances.

Reaction Score
Tick, tick, tick.

Unfortunately we need to know the Maryland settlement.
Unfortunately we need official AAU status, or else a positive audit by a pre AAU committee stating things look good if progress continues for membership in 2015/16.
I believe the NCAA already ruled that you can have a championship game with 13? Not positive but i think they said OK. If that final ruling hasn't come out then we have to wait for that.

Once these things happen then I think CR heats up once again. The union/OBanon lawsuits are a distraction but I don't think they are as important as the above.

I am simply amazed how long this fricken Maryland/ACC suit drags out.

Reaction Score
I agree with the much of what you wrote, but ultimately UCONN's inclusion comes down to one thing. $ Can the Huskies bring more to the pot than they take from it? Personally I believe they can, but I'm not in B1G Headquarters crunching the numbers. Where I disagree is that I don't see the conference taking UCONN only and standing pat. While they did it for Penn State, this was before the era of divisions. I can't see them going to an unbalanced format at this point in time.

Right now UCONN appears to be in the middle of a Mexican Standoff. The B1G and ACC have their guns pointed at each other, but as long as everyone remains calm nothing happens. The outcome of the MD Lawsuit could be the motivation for someone to pull the trigger. Best case scenario UCONN and one of UVA/VPI to The B1G. If The B1G raids The ACC and passes on UCONN for some reason, at the very least The ACC would backfill with you guys to shore up their TV Deals. Either way you are out of The AAC.

I wish the best for UConn, but the Maryland lawsuit really does not have anything to do with the Grant of Rights that all ACC members signed nor the fact that some exit fee will still be in place (only Maryland and FSU voted against it).

It is almost impossible to see how the Maryland/ACC suit (which will likely be settled) will have any impact on the GOR.

P.S. I am a 27 year commercial litigation and insurance defense litigation attorney. Lawsuits can drag on for up to five years or more. It is not unusual for it to take 2-3 years to get to trial, then about 1 1/2 to 2 years for the appeals process.

That is just the way litigation goes in state court. Federal judges use a "rocket docket" to move cases on their plate, but state court judges do not.

Reaction Score
I wish the best for UConn, but the Maryland lawsuit really does not have anything to do with the Grant of Rights that all ACC members signed nor the fact that some exit fee will still be in place (only Maryland and FSU voted against it).

It is almost impossible to see how the Maryland/ACC suit (which will likely be settled) will have any impact on the GOR.

P.S. I am a 27 year commercial litigation and insurance defense litigation attorney. Lawsuits can drag on for up to five years or more. It is not unusual for it to take 2-3 years to get to trial, then about 1 1/2 to 2 years for the appeals process.

That is just the way litigation goes in state court. Federal judges use a "rocket docket" to move cases on their plate, but state court judges do not.

I'm looking at the outcome of The MD case as a jumping off point. There is ZERO chance that MD pays anywhere close to $52 million. If they get out for less than half that, it could embolden others with potential wandering eyes. As for The ACC GOR, who knows? JMO but you can negotiate your way out of just about any agreement. The question is what is it worth to both parties? What if the ACC's GOR Agreement had a defined timeline regarding starting a conference network? What if that network never materializes? There are a lot of what ifs out there that none of us here know the answer to. I'm not saying it will happen, but hypothetically if B1G Teams are making 35-40 Mil a year and ACC Schools are pulling down 20-25 that's a recipe for discontent. Again all of this is hypothetical. All of The ACC Teams may love their current situation, and not be swayed one way or the other by the promise of more revenue. Once again who knows?

Reaction Score
I agree it's foolish to believe anything will happen on any front with UConn, the B1G, or the ACC in any way before the MD lawsuit is settled/tried.

Reaction Score
I agree with the much of what you wrote, but ultimately UCONN's inclusion comes down to one thing. $ Can the Huskies bring more to the pot than they take from it? Personally I believe they can, but I'm not in B1G Headquarters crunching the numbers. Where I disagree is that I don't see the conference taking UCONN only and standing pat. While they did it for Penn State, this was before the era of divisions. I can't see them going to an unbalanced format at this point in time.

Right now UCONN appears to be in the middle of a Mexican Standoff. The B1G and ACC have their guns pointed at each other, but as long as everyone remains calm nothing happens. The outcome of the MD Lawsuit could be the motivation for someone to pull the trigger. Best case scenario UCONN and one of UVA/VPI to The B1G. If The B1G raids The ACC and passes on UCONN for some reason, at the very least The ACC would backfill with you guys to shore up their TV Deals. Either way you are out of The AAC.

With a minor twist. In this Mexican stand-off there are a pair of armed bystanders. The first is Frankenstein like monster that is throwing stones at the ACC hoping it can knock off a piece or two for itself before it implodes. The second is the 500 pound gorilla of the college sports business (not academics) who is happy where it stands today; but, may pull out it's big guns on it's brainy neighbor to the north should Virginia and/or North Carolina come into play.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the B1G is going to do or when. That's how Delany wants it. You can't believe anything. He isn't going to tip his hand to us or anybody else. So hope is not dead, nor should it be kindled.

The reality is that I think UConn will get an invite in the next year or so....from the ACC. I think our hoops title(s) likely cut the Tobacco Road contingent to the core. Meanwhile, Florida State's title, and a strong season from Clemson likely mitigated the risk of ACC football irrelevance. North Carolina looks likely to break out, and BC is improving again. As we like to say, there is a battle for the hearts and minds in the North East...the ACC wants that as much as the B1G. And is at least as well positioned. Syracuse, plus Notre Dame, plus UConn...and Duke plays very well in the NY DMA as well. And they would certainly have New England with UConn plus BC. They are at 15 in non football sports, and the championship game could allow them to go to 15 for football.

Reaction Score
The more I read this board the more it seems absolutely necessary that the B1G take UCONN if they want NYC/the NE (which, they obviously do).

As stated above, with ND, BC, SYR already in their stable the ACC is very NE strong. UCONN would completely seal the deal for them and place the Big Ten in a semi-distant 2nd in the region.

B1G must know this, and IMO RUTG & MD in the NE do not equal what the ACC currently has. I understand that Big Ten schools have mass alumni and fans all over, but IMO those will not pull NYC as much as Delany might like/need.

I am no fan of all this expansion (save NEB) but it is what it is and the B1G might as well go all in if $/TV/reach is the new game. If they want to seal the NYC deal, UCONN is a must to make that happen, and sever the weak advantage the ACC may have.

Of course, I'd like to see ND as #16 to really button it all up, but that's a pipe dream. BTW, Domers - save your breath explaining why that will never happen as I've heard it all before. As Jay Cutler would say; DOOOON'T CAAAAAARE.

Reaction Score
The more I read this board the more it seems absolutely necessary that the B1G take UCONN if they want NYC.

As stated above, with ND, BC, SYR already in their stable the ACC is very NE strong. UCONN would completely seal the deal for them and place the Big Ten in a semi-distant 2nd in the region.

B1G must know this, and IMO RUTG & MD in the NE do not equal what the ACC currently has. I understand that Big Ten schools have mass alumni and fans all over, but IMO those will not pull NYC as much as Delany might like/need.

I am no fan of all this expansion (save NEB) but it is what it is and the B1G might as well go all in if $/TV/reach is the new game. If they want to seal the NYC deal, UCONN is a must to make that happen, and sever the weak advantage the ACC may have.

Of course, I'd like to see ND as #16 to really button it all up, but that's a pipe dream. BTW, Domers - save your breath explaining why that will never happen as I've heard it all before. As Jay Cutler would say; DOOOON'T CAAAAAARE.

You would think...

Rutgers doesn't do it for the B1G. The B1G must see this. It's not because they're not close enough to NYC or because they don't have a large alumni core, it's because they have been deficient athletically. Eventually, buzz and viewership follows success. Regarding the # of TV sets available, it doesn't matter unless they're turned on and tuned in. That's what UConn brings.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
It's been said by myself and a few others over the past year or so: who ever takes UConn gets the stranglehold on the northeast. B1G would have PSU, Rutgers and UConn. ACC would have Pitt, Cuse, BC and UConn. Throw in ND and ACC wins NY hands down with UConn in the fold. BC and UConn would lock up NE. If the B1G takes us, UConn competes with BC for New England and Rutgers and UConn bracket NYC. Seriously, logic dictates that UConn should be snapped up by either conference.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what the B1G is going to do or when. That's how Delany wants it. You can't believe anything. He isn't going to tip his hand to us or anybody else. So hope is not dead, nor should it be kindled.

The reality is that I think UConn will get an invite in the next year or so....from the ACC. I think our hoops title(s) likely cut the Tobacco Road contingent to the core. Meanwhile, Florida State's title, and a strong season from Clemson likely mitigated the risk of ACC football irrelevance. North Carolina looks likely to break out, and BC is improving again. As we like to say, there is a battle for the hearts and minds in the North East...the ACC wants that as much as the B1G. And is at least as well positioned. Syracuse, plus Notre Dame, plus UConn...and Duke plays very well in the NY DMA as well. And they would certainly have New England with UConn plus BC. They are at 15 in non football sports, and the championship game could allow them to go to 15 for football.
I understand the logic and that it hasn't happened is really a head scratcher.
The ACC is down to two State Flag Ship schools. The addition of a UConn would be a coup.
I'm not an ACC fan, and other than Syracuse and BC ,privates,the only school we have a Connction to is UVA. Does anyone have any feelings toward Pitt ?
Either the ACC is sure we are not a target for the B1G.,Which gives them all the time in the world to wait or existing venom from some ACC members is too much for our advocates to overcome, even if we have a B1G invite.
I certainly hope it's the latter.

Reaction Score
You would think...

Rutgers doesn't do it for the B1G. The B1G must see this. It's not because they're not close enough to NYC or because they don't have a large alumni core, it's because they have been deficient athletically. Eventually, buzz and viewership follows success. Regarding the # of TV sets available, it doesn't matter unless they're turned on and tuned in. That's what UConn brings.
The problem with your tv set theory...the B1G is gonna get paid now whether those sets are tuned to the BTN or not with their deal with Cablevision and Time Warner. I think that the B1G taking UCONN makes the most sense with their Eastern expansion and locks up the NYC market for them...also tolls the death bell for BC as they get shut off from the rest of the ACC by UCONN, Rutgers and UMD. The ACC takes UCONN and they can shut out the BTN and Rutgers of NYC market with UCONN and ND...making their own network a serious possibility. It is a chess game..interesting to see who if anyone moves next.

Reaction Score
I wonder what PSU thinks of all this 'eastern' expansion? I'm sure they like having some closer rivals along the coast, but I think that may only go so far. Coach James Franklin did say that he/they wanted to (RE recruiting); "dominate the State, dominate the Region!" MD, CT, NJ, etc etc are all part of that region.

Inviting UCONN into the B1G (on top of NJ & MD) will only strengthen UCONN, not sure that's something PSU wants while it's trying to "dominate the Region."

Maybe part of what Delany said really IS true; "If you're thinking of building a conference and keeping tradition alive, building fan bases and natural rivalries, movement beyond where we are probably needs to be looked at in a very suspicious kind of way. You dilute yourself the larger you get."

The B1G may be thinking that RUTG and MD + PSU + existing B1G alumni throughout the NYC/NE = enough to get them where they want to be. Let PSU become the Beast of The East again (the biggest football brand by far in the Region), RUTG maybe gain some ground along with MD, and those rivalries will raise interest throughout "the Region" to have a slight impact. Enough to keep the B1G on the TV sets throughout DC/BALT/NYC/NE, I mean, without having to add another school.

The B1G may see a PSU on the rise again, and may rather want to cultivate that, instead of adding more competition in PSU's backyard. A mighty PSU + improved RUTG & MD + alumni = B1G stops.

I don't see it, but I know they have vetted this situation 15 Billion different ways. Not trying to throw cold water, just thinking out loud.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's been said by myself and a few others over the past year or so: who ever takes UConn gets the stranglehold on the northeast. B1G would have PSU, Rutgers and UConn. ACC would have Pitt, Cuse, BC and UConn. Throw in ND and ACC wins NY hands down with UConn in the fold. BC and UConn would lock up NE. If the B1G takes us, UConn competes with BC for New England and Rutgers and UConn bracket NYC. Seriously, logic dictates that UConn should be snapped up by either conference.
Wait, people in NE care about BC? When the heck did that happen?

Reaction Score
The more I read this board the more it seems absolutely necessary that the B1G take UCONN if they want NYC/the NE (which, they obviously do).

Who is Jay Cutler? :)

I am saving my breath, thanks.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Cleanface said:
I wonder what PSU thinks of all this 'eastern' expansion? I'm sure they like having some closer rivals along the coast, but I think that may only go so far. Coach James Franklin did say that he/they wanted to (RE recruiting); "dominate the State, dominate the Region!" MD, CT, NJ, etc etc are all part of that region.

Inviting UCONN into the B1G (on top of NJ & MD) will only strengthen UCONN, not sure that's something PSU wants while it's trying to "dominate the Region."

Maybe part of what Delany said really IS true; "If you're thinking of building a conference and keeping tradition alive, building fan bases and natural rivalries, movement beyond where we are probably needs to be looked at in a very suspicious kind of way. You dilute yourself the larger you get."

The B1G may be thinking that RUTG and MD + PSU + existing B1G alumni throughout the NYC/NE = enough to get them where they want to be. Let PSU become the Beast of The East again (the biggest football brand by far in the Region), RUTG maybe gain some ground along with MD, and those rivalries will raise interest throughout "the Region" to have a slight impact. Enough to keep the B1G on the TV sets throughout DC/BALT/NYC/NE, I mean, without having to add another school.

The B1G may see a PSU on the rise again, and may rather want to cultivate that, instead of adding more competition in PSU's backyard. A mighty PSU + improved RUTG & MD + alumni = B1G stops.

I don't see it, but I know they have vetted this situation 15 Billion different ways. Not trying to throw cold water, just thinking out loud.

PSU isn't worried about competing with RU or UConn in FB and would welcome the access to the NE/NYC area in BB.

Reaction Score
PSU isn't worried about competing with RU or UConn in FB and would welcome the access to the NE/NYC area in BB.

This.

While I'm not a big basketball fan, I would welcome our teams competing against two top programs like The UCONN Men and Women's Teams. IMO UCONN's inclusion in The B1G would raise everyone's game on the court, while competing in The B1G would likely do the same for UCONN on the field.

Reaction Score

Not only that, it defies common sense for anyone to refer to an addition of UConn as a "dilution." We have no worse of a football program than Rutgers or Maryland, and the best basketball programs (plural) in the country, and far too many other positives to count. We're not diluting anything.

In a world ruled by common sense, we would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world.

Reaction Score

Seriously, once UConn is in P5 its only a matter of time (4-7 years) before we DOMINATE college FB, meaning annual top 15 AP rankings, continue to be a top 7 BB program, and rise up as The NE Force in athletics. The county has NEVER experienced a major NE state school dominating NE college athletics.....and they are sh&t scared.. they really are! Imagine the NYC/Boston press centered on a whale of an athletic university doing college athletics the RIGHT WAY.

With confidence like this, why wouldn't PSU be worried??

CL82

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. However, with UConn the ACC locks up NE.
Agree, I just find BC irrelevant to that discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom