3 point defense | The Boneyard

3 point defense

Reaction Score
teams seem to be developing a two step approach to guarding 3 point shooters:
Step 1. Run at the shooter from 15 feet away trying to disrupt their concentration (generally arriving 1 second too late)
Step 2. Hope that they miss

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Step 1. Run at the shooter from 15 feet away trying to disrupt their concentration (generally arriving 1 second too late)
Well the odds of the average shooter making 3 point shots is what, 2 or 3 out of 10? So that could explain Step 2.
And what is the percentage of 3 point shots getting blocked? So, Step 1.
I think when you game plan your defense based upon the opponent's tendencies and then they suddenly are taking different shots, and they are going in, all's that you can do is try to adjust.
Luckily for us, the shoe is on the other foot when defending us, we are usually shooting lights out.

Reaction Score
Teams with a better shot blocking presence in the middle or with extremely quick guards typically play tougher perimeter defense. It’s difficult to close out on people if they can shoot a decent percentage AND put the ball on the floor—why not give them the lower percentage shot rather than risk an easy blow by layup? Since 3 point shooting has become more prevalent with each passing decade, teams are running more schemes to get 3 point shooters open on the perimeter and help defense is usually scrambled by the time it gets to the open shooter. UConn uses a lot of ball reversal and screens to get KLS open and usually she’s wide open or a player is late closing on her. More court is being used in basketball these days.

Reaction Score
I know we use the zone to give the defense some rest but our zone sucks. The wings are always open and the best we can do0 is run at them with zero chance of blocking or disturbing their shot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the last few weeks, a couple of the scouts have been to give the opponent the 3-point shot. As CD notes, kids who haven't made a shot all year become all-world. Tulsa's start yesterday was an anomaly, but we've seen multiple anomalies this year, where they don't seem anomalous any more.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In the last few weeks, a couple of the scouts have been to give the opponent the 3-point shot. As CD notes, kids who haven't made a shot all year become all-world. Tulsa's start yesterday was an anomaly, but we've seen multiple anomalies this year, where they don't seem anomalous any more.
That is true, but in every case, the law of averages kicked in -- usually by the second quarter -- and the opposing team's shooting percentage for the game as a whole was in the low 30's. That was true yesterday as well. Some of that has to do with fatigue -- people can make 3's when they are fresh, but after having to run back and forth for a good part of the game, they are no longer such able archers.

The strategy may give fans (including me) some heartburn, but I'm not sure that it isn't fundamentally sound.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's pretty much why Tulsa jumped out to a 14-9 lead. One of their players was 3-3 and then 4-5 from beyond the arc in the 1st quarter and a few minutes into the 2nd quarter.

UCONN righted the ship defensively, but our offense never really got on track. Pretty dismal offensive games for Lou and Pheesa, compared to what they usually do...

Reaction Score
Let us not forget that these are AAC teams hat our defense is not performing that good against. The defensive weakness has not really improved that much. Guard blow-bys, over shifting to help leaving posts open for easy shots or easy put backs, no defensive stopper for opponents best scorer, poor zone defense that allows open wings and elbow shots, and fails to rebound, no stopper in the lane (since Olivia has not been allowed to play much) ,etc. We also have never gotten our offense in sync for an entire game,with the possible exception of ND game . Against AAC opponents most of our scoring is on fat breaks following turn -overs not on half court offense. The good teams will not turn over the ball.
I honestly will be pleasantly surprised if we get to the elite eight. Great group of players just too many weak spots and no depth.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UCONN righted the ship defensively, but our offense never really got on track. Pretty dismal offensive games for Lou and Pheesa, compared to what they usually do...

Phee kept plugging away at what was not working, hoping that she'd draw a foul - which she did, repeatedly, but the whistles were swallowed so far that there was no retrieving them without a proctologist.

Reaction Score
It's pretty much why Tulsa jumped out to a 14-9 lead. One of their players was 3-3 and then 4-5 from beyond the arc in the 1st quarter and a few minutes into the 2nd quarter.

I AGREE, What's to disagree with. I have a different view of Phee and Lou's shooting ills and it has nothing to do with a slump they had been on a road trip. This time they've been travelling to Okla, Texas, Fla.
The last time, I read this yesterday, they went into a slump they had traveled a bit longer. As one who traveled from monday to friday or saturday for 2 0 or more years I can tell you, even as young as 30 I needed the weekends to recover. Phee and Lou have been doing this close to 4 years now--it has to wear on the mind and soul. JUSt A Thought!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Let us not forget that these are AAC teams hat our defense is not performing that good against. The defensive weakness has not really improved that much. Guard blow-bys, over shifting to help leaving posts open for easy shots or easy put backs, no defensive stopper for opponents best scorer, poor zone defense that allows open wings and elbow shots, and fails to rebound, no stopper in the lane (since Olivia has not been allowed to play much) ,etc. We also have never gotten our offense in sync for an entire game,with the possible exception of ND game . Against AAC opponents most of our scoring is on fat breaks following turn -overs not on half court offense. The good teams will not turn over the ball.
I honestly will be pleasantly surprised if we get to the elite eight. Great group of players just too many weak spots and no depth.

I don't think getting to the elite 8 will be a problem. UConn will be a better team than any of the teams they'll see in the first 3 rounds. With UConn hosting the first 2 rounds in Gampel Arena (where they haven't lost in over 6 years), it's a good bet they'll advance to the regional in sync and ready to play their next draw.

The tournament will begin in earnest for UConn in round 4, the regional final. That's where they'll likely meet the #2 seed in the regional which will be a very worthy opponent. Very likely a top 8 ranked team. They will play in front of a "home town" crowd in Albany which they will be able to draw some energy if needed. The past few years, many #1 seeds have crashed and burned in this round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Phee kept plugging away at what was not working, hoping that she'd draw a foul - which she did, repeatedly, but the whistles were swallowed so far that there was no retrieving them without a proctologist.
A what? Proctologist? No wonder these Refs are having trouble--EENT is the Md or surgeon of choice.
Uconn has a weakness that it has had for 20 years or so: quick, talented, driving guards score on Geno's teams. When Christine Dailey (I won't call her CD to confuse her with the multiple CD's in Uconn history, acronymn's historically cause communication problems) changed Defense from Zone to Man and put CW on 22 (Brady) the 3's stopped falling.
With Christine doing the Geno thing, this brought back memories of Geno getting tossed out and Christine complaining about him being tossed. She became very active between Geno and the refs. I thought then Christine didn't like being the coach; yesterday seemed to indicate she is pretty good and enjoyed it. I really liked her being the team Cheerleader. Hope we get to see this again, before the FF/NC.

Reaction Score
That is true, but in every case, the law of averages kicked in -- usually by the second quarter -- and the opposing team's shooting percentage for the game as a whole was in the low 30's. That was true yesterday as well. Some of that has to do with fatigue -- people can make 3's when they are fresh, but after having to run back and forth for a good part of the game, they are no longer such able archers.

The strategy may give fans (including me) some heartburn, but I'm not sure that it isn't fundamentally sound.
JoeP--You are usually correct and again this time, I think. If Uconn/Geno/Christine Dailey play the odds they are on Uconn's favor for average or a bit better team. Uconn could normally count on making many more 2's than they did 3's. Then for those that shoot their brains out it typically a certainty that that shooting will cool off, and it usually does. Following UC this year in most (2 exceptions) UC, Phee, Lou, C. Williams, have pulling this team back ahead in the 3rd qtr when those 3's didn't fall so well. Geno has choices: cover the 3's or the boards this year he is covering the board, mostly. When his 5 are shooting well the 3's drop often and UC can beat anyone.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
How could we ever forget when similar themed posts have been made after every game this season?
And last time I checked, we had only 2 losses, against two of the three #1 seeds (probable). Oh and the third, we beat them when they were the #1 team. Remember?

Reaction Score
A friend of mine coached high school boys. He always said he would quit coaching before playing zone defense. He always told his players that "defense is a matter of will - if you don't play it, I'll find someone that will".

Reaction Score
Me too. 'Cuz I want Geno to stay home and rest this next game too.
Not to be an alarmist--ALARM ALARM ALARM. At this extremely advanced age Geno has attained isn't it normal to have every tiny ill life threatening?
When I get an ache of my big toe I call my life time doctor urgently. The seance takes so long, I'm usually cured before it ends--OH, the medium must have been right? He said take 5 10 dollar bills place them on the table, if they disappear you will be cured, if they remain come back next week.

Reaction Score
How could we ever forget when similar themed posts have been made after every game this season?
And last time I checked, we had only 2 losses, against two of the three #1 seeds (probable). Oh and the third, we beat them when they were the #1 team. Remember?
There you go rubbing it in!! You must remember there WERE 2 count em 2 losses-they were un-wins. How can we hold our heads up??
Even Geno said: There are some team if they play their A game against UC (US) in the tournament we couldn't beat them in a million years. I think UC met one of them already. Both losses were homie crowds that knew Uc weaknesses ,could taste blood ,that inspired them.

Reaction Score
Smart coaches with coachable teams take advantage of Uconn's holes in the help defense.
Tulsa did that on a few options and had open layups. Too, as in Tulsa, AAC teams are learning to pass to the open player and to make crisp (mostly) accurate passes (Uconn stock in trade). The zone stops some weaknesses and opens other. Coombs / Walker is inserted into games when Man to man is used, ONO for Zone. Team are learning to pass pass pass move around a lot and look for the weakness and openings, seems Geno's processes are making the AAC a better league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom