3 Mock Drafts "Side by Each" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

3 Mock Drafts "Side by Each"

Reaction Score
How do you Sun guys think they’ll handle Chiney coming back? Seems like they don’t want to do anything too differently than what gave them success last year, so how do you work Chiney back into the mix? Does she come off the bench?
I would think she would come off the bench, but she's the kind of team player that can handle that. The Sun have the great problem of loads of talent right now. They have invested a lot in Chiney and I would think at some point she would get back into the starting lineup. But one thing I know for sure, Curt Miller is better at coaching basketball than me. He gets players who are good for team chemistry and they seem to be willing to bend to do whatever the team needs. I'm really looking forward to this season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
And here's a current one, courtesy of "Land of 10," whose main focus apparently is on The G1G.
Link to whole story: 2018 WNBA Mock Draft: First-round projections, top players, order (April 10, 2018)

First-Round Projections:

1. Las Vegas Aces: A’ja Wilson, C, South Carolina: Wilson led South Carolina to a national championship in 2017 and this year was National Player of the Year. As a senior, Wilson averaged 22.6 points and 11.8 rebounds per game.
  2. Indiana Fever: Kelsey Mitchell, G, Ohio State: Mitchell finished her career with 3,402 points, the second-most all-time in NCAA Division I history.
  3. Chicago Sky: Diamond DeShields, G, Tennessee/Turkey: DeShields played two seasons at Tennessee before playing with the Turkish professional team Cukurova.
  4. Chicago Sky: Azura Stevens, C, UConn: Stevens declared for the draft, skipping what would have been her senior season. She averaged 14.7 points per game.
  5. Seattle Storm: Jordin Canada, G, UCLA: The UCLA star led her team with 17 points per game while also totaling 248 assists.
  6. Dallas Wings: Gabby Williams, F, UConn
  7. Washington Mystics: Kia Nurse, G, UConn
  8. Indiana Fever: Victoria Vivians, G, Mississippi State
  9. Connecticut Sun: Lexie Brown, G, Duke
  10. New York Liberty: Maria Vadeeva, C, Russia
  11. Los Angeles Sparks: Marie Gulich, C, Oregon State
  12. Phoenix Mercury: Monique Billings, F, UCLA
- Could Azura be joining Ms.Dolson in Chicago?
- Looks like he has Garry and Kia going back-to-back.

The Liberty, under Bill Laimbeer, had/have a number of post players, as well as a number of guards (Seemingly playing a 2-post, three guard set). Maybe go after a forward like Monique Billings instead?

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They also have Odyssey Sims, Riquna Williams, Ana Dabovic, Essence Carson, and Sydney Wiese.... plus Jolene Anderson and Karlie Samuelson as training camp extras.

They also signed guard Pondexter to the line up.
They need another 4/5 Nneka and Candace could use some help.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
And here's a current one, courtesy of "Land of 10," whose main focus apparently is on The G1G.
Link to whole story: 2018 WNBA Mock Draft: First-round projections, top players, order (April 10, 2018)

First-Round Projections:

1. Las Vegas Aces: A’ja Wilson, C, South Carolina: Wilson led South Carolina to a national championship in 2017 and this year was National Player of the Year. As a senior, Wilson averaged 22.6 points and 11.8 rebounds per game.
  2. Indiana Fever: Kelsey Mitchell, G, Ohio State: Mitchell finished her career with 3,402 points, the second-most all-time in NCAA Division I history.
  3. Chicago Sky: Diamond DeShields, G, Tennessee/Turkey: DeShields played two seasons at Tennessee before playing with the Turkish professional team Cukurova.
  4. Chicago Sky: Azura Stevens, C, UConn: Stevens declared for the draft, skipping what would have been her senior season. She averaged 14.7 points per game.
  5. Seattle Storm: Jordin Canada, G, UCLA: The UCLA star led her team with 17 points per game while also totaling 248 assists.
  6. Dallas Wings: Gabby Williams, F, UConn
  7. Washington Mystics: Kia Nurse, G, UConn
  8. Indiana Fever: Victoria Vivians, G, Mississippi State
  9. Connecticut Sun: Lexie Brown, G, Duke
  10. New York Liberty: Maria Vadeeva, C, Russia
  11. Los Angeles Sparks: Marie Gulich, C, Oregon State
  12. Phoenix Mercury: Monique Billings, F, UCLA
- Could Azura be joining Ms.Dolson in Chicago?
- Looks like he has Garry and Kia going back-to-back.

The Liberty, under Bill Laimbeer, have a number of post players, as well as a number of guards (Seemingly playing a 2-post, three guard set). Maybe go after a forward like Monique Billings instead?

Stay tuned.

I don't see why Chicago would take Stevens at 4 over Williams or Vivians unless they project Azura to be a PF in the league. Chicago needs help on the wing, they are fine at center with Dolson and Coates. Adding in Stevens creates somewhat of a logjam there. Vivians would fit in well as a great shooter, and Williams would help out big time with defense.

I do think Stevens should go #2 over Kelsey Mitchell. The Fever already have a slew of capable scoring guards (Mitchell, Wheeler, Johnson) but they need help inside. Stevens gives them a strong post player with inside out ability who they can build the front court around. Vivians would be a great pick if she's available at 8. I think she could end up being one of the best pros from this draft.

I also think Gulich or Vadeeva would be a huge steal at 11 for the Sparks if they are on the table. Gulich very good defensively and could help big time defending Fowles inside (an area LA really struggled with in the finals). Vadeeva is known to be a physical post, who would also help out in this area.

Not necessarily the most top heavy, but definitely the deepest draft class we've had in years, possibly since 2001. I wouldn't be surprised if 15-20 players have strong careers in the W.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
WNBA mock draft: Projecting all three rounds

ESPN with a full three round mock draft. Lots of talent this season. Some very good second round players will not make rosters this season, Two teams are going to get steals with Gulich and Vadeeva.
Eli says the Sun have a "...fascinating frontcourt log jam." And he remarks about how much improved Atlanta will be. As I said above...

That's the $64,000 question this year. I suspect she may come off the bench initially.

The starters down the stretch were Jaz, AT, JJ, Courtney and Strick. Tuck was the top scorer early in the season but suffered an injury and was off her game when she eventually returned. If Tuck has a great camp, she might start in place of Strick.

The challenge will be maintaining floor balance and spacing without forcing JJ to the perimeter to much on offense, I think. With Chiney and AT in the game at the same time that is more difficult.

Overall, the Sun team should be capable of running with any team in the league and should continue their high pace style. I'm hoping the quality 3 point threat will be there again. I would also expect them to be really good off the boards. JJ, Chiney, AT and Court are all terrific rebounders.

Barring injuries, the Sun should be a better team this year. The problem is other teams, particularly Atlanta, will be much better. There are no easy games in the W, and no one will be looking past the Sun this summer.

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
I don't think I've seen a single mock draft that doesn't have the Sun getting Kia or Lexie. I can be OK with either. If it's Lexie she will have an awesome mentor in fellow Dukie Jaz Thomas.

Reaction Score
That's the $64,000 question this year. I suspect she may come off the bench initially.

The starters down the stretch were Jaz, AT, JJ, Courtney and Strick. Tuck was the top scorer early in the season but suffered an injury and was off her game when she eventually returned. If Tuck has a great camp, she might start in place of Strick.

The challenge will be maintaining floor balance and spacing without forcing JJ to the perimeter to much on offense, I think. With Chiney and AT in the game at the same time that is more difficult.

Overall, the Sun team should be capable of running with any team in the league and should continue their high pace style. I'm hoping the quality 3 point threat will be there again. I would also expect them to be really good off the boards. JJ, Chiney, AT and Court are all terrific rebounders.

Barring injuries, the Sun should be a better team this year. The problem is other teams, particularly Atlanta, will be much better. There are no easy games in the W, and no one will be looking past the Sun this summer.

Don’t know if this has been said, but Bria Holmes won’t be playing this year. She is pregnant.

psconn

Reaction Score
Don’t know if this has been said, but Bria Holmes won’t be playing this year. She is pregnant.

True, but with Angel back and Renee in the mix it won't matter much to the overall improvement.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't think I've seen a single mock draft that doesn't have the Sun getting Kia or Lexie. I can be OK with either. If it's Lexie she will have an awesome mentor in fellow Dukie Jaz Thomas.

Not sure how I feel about the prospects of Brown in Eastern Connecticut :oops:

For some reason or another...... my favorite Duke players end up there ... Thomas, Williams, Gray, Black .... perhaps Brown :confused:

psconn

Reaction Score

For some reason or another. my favorite Duke players end up there ... Thomas, Williams, Gray, Black .... perhaps Brown :confused:

Colorful statement. I'm no Duke fan but I was very sad to see Williams and Gray go away. I don't think it was necessary in either case. :(

Reaction Score

For some reason or another. my favorite Duke players end up there ... Thomas, Williams, Gray, Black .... perhaps Brown :confused:

Maybe that’s a factor that should be considered in the mock drafts. The current coach and GM didn’t draft either EWill or Chelsea Gray. They were both drafted by Anne Donovan. Could be a coincidence, but EWill and Gray are really good players. Maybe Miller doesn’t like Duke players.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Colorful statement. I'm no Duke fan but I was very sad to see Williams and Gray go away. I don't think it was necessary in either case. :(

Well the 1st round pick they acquired for Williams ended up being Rachel Banham :confused:

That Gray trade helped both teams...... but in retrospect they could have kept her and drafted Jones with the #3 or #4 pick. Oh well :oops:

psconn

Reaction Score
Maybe that’s a factor that should be considered in the mock drafts. The current coach and GM didn’t draft either EWill or Chelsea Gray. They were both drafted by Anne Donovan. Could be a coincidence, but EWill and Gray are really good players. Maybe Miller doesn’t like Duke players.

Unlikely...

18952610_10155243154355449_3731423666598295256_n.jpg

psconn

Reaction Score
Well the 1st round pick they acquired for Williams ended up being Rachel Banham :confused:

That Gray trade helped both teams. but in retrospect they could have kept her and drafted Jones with the #3 or #4 pick. Oh well :oops:

Don't remind me.

main-qimg-dd539a3da7cc49f1f20563d19370043a-c

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't see why Chicago would take Stevens at 4 over Williams or Vivians unless they project Azura to be a PF in the league. Chicago needs help on the wing, they are fine at center with Dolson and Coates. Adding in Stevens creates somewhat of a logjam there. Vivians would fit in well as a great shooter, and Williams would help out big time with defense.

I think Stevens is a 4 and Chicago has an opening there after Jessica Breland left in free agency. Really, Chicago needs help at 2, 3, and 4. Only at 1 (Sloot) and 5 (Dolson) are they set. Quigley is a solid 2 but she'll be 32 this summer and doesn't have much athleticism to spare if she starts to lose a step.

Reaction Score
I think Stevens is a 4 and Chicago has an opening there after Jessica Breland left in free agency. Really, Chicago needs help at 2, 3, and 4. Only at 1 (Sloot) and 5 (Dolson) are they set. Quigley is a solid 2 but she'll be 32 this summer and doesn't have much athleticism to spare if she starts to lose a step.

Coates has looked decent overseas, so if she’s good enough to start at center, they could consider using Dolson at the PF. That’d be an awfully beefy and maybe a little too slow of a front line.

Reaction Score
Kia is more valuable than 8/9... way more!

The # isn’t that important. What’s important is going to a club that’s a good fit for you so you stand half a chance of surviving. Look at Chong. In the third round, she went to one place where she fit in nicely and survived a season. She could be gone this year though.

psconn

Reaction Score

I don't buy into the "Coach X doesn't like players from school Y" statements. Coaches don't like losing. They will go after the players they believe will most benefit the team. Their jobs ultimately depend on it.

Reaction Score
I don't buy into the "Coach X doesn't like players from school Y" statements. Coaches don't like losing. They will go after the players they believe will most benefit the team. Their jobs ultimately depend on it.

Well he kinda muffed by not keeping all the Duke players ;)

Reaction Score
8DB08EE8-02D9-4B7B-8DE6-3E2F3DF955B1.jpeg

Vadeeva thinks she’s going 7th or 8th. I wonder if her agent told her that or she’s going by mock draft? I don’t think I’ve noticed a mock draft that had her at 7.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom