10 Lib- Maria V.
11 Sparks- Stephanie M.
12 Merc- Monique B.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More info on the Draft Invitee's

South Carolina's Wilson Headlines List of Top College Prospects to Attend WNBA Draft 2018 Presented by State Farm - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Monique Billings UCLA Forward 6-4
Lexie Brown Duke Guard 5-9
Jordin Canada UCLA Guard 5-6
Diamond DeShields Cukurova (Turkey) Guard 6-1
Kelsey Mitchell Ohio State Guard 6-1
Kia Nurse Connecticut Guard 6-0
Azurá Stevens Connecticut Forward 6-6
Victoria Vivians Mississippi State Guard 6-1
Gabby Williams Connecticut Forward 5-11
A’ja Wilson South Carolina Forward 6-5

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
A lot of people seem to think that the Sun will take Kia with the first round pick (9th overall). I'm not sure that would be a good move. The mock draft that the Courant published this morning had some pretty good players picked later than #9, including Lexie Brown (whom they had going to the Sun in the second round), Marie Gulich, and Mercedes Russell.

If Lexie Brown is available at #9 (no sure thing in my opinion), I think the Sun should grab her. If they can get Kia in the second round, that would make more sense to me.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A lot of people seem to think that the Sun will take Kia with the first round pick (9th overall). I'm not sure that would be a good move. The mock draft that the Courant published this morning had some pretty good players picked later than #9, including Lexie Brown (whom they had going to the Sun in the second round), Marie Gulich, and Mercedes Russell.

If Lexie Brown is available at #9 (no sure thing in my opinion), I think the Sun should grab her. If they can get Kia in the second round, that would make more sense to me.

Actually, the Courant poll is a reprinting of the AP poll. Interestingly, they have Lexi Brown going to Conn in the second round (15th overall) which is a clear undervaluing of her (especially since Lexi one of the 10 invited to the WNBA Draft) :confused:

Reaction Score
This is such a deep draft, that teams such as Minnesota might want to trade up in the round to get the player they could really use. For example, if a Lexi Brown or Kia Nurse slips in the draft.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

I don't think Lexie or Kia will last to the 2nd round unless a dark horse pick emerges.

As a long time Sun season ticket holder, I have mixed emotions on the Sun going after Kia. Will she be able to defend the real burners in the W? Will her shooting stats hold up (if you don't think shooting will be different in the W, ask KML)?

On the upside, Kia is pro-ready: big, strong, tough. She has a mature attitude, is a great teammate, and is a perfect fit for Miller's philosophy - "building a champion starts with building a championship locker room". Let's not forget the existing Curt Miller/Nurse family connections.

If she is available, it will be "politically" hard for the Sun to pass on her. There are still a bunch of "fans" that attend only to see UConn players, and who constantly screamed to "put Kelly in" despite the fact that she usually was not up to the task. I will just hope and pray that the Sun get the very best player available to help the team whether that's Kia or not. A lot of teams got better over the off season, the Sun have to also.

Reaction Score
WNBA Draft 2018: Mock Draft Roundup - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

And a 4th... as a reminder "High Post Hoops" published this one recently:
1 Aces- A'ja W.
2 Fever- Kelsey M.
3 Sky- Diamond D.
4 Sky- Azura S.
5 Storm- Jordin C.
6 Wings- Lexie B.
7 Mystics- Gabby W.
8 Fever- Victoria V.
9 Sun- Kia N.
10 Lib- Maria V.
11 Sparks- Stephanie M.
12 Merc- Monique B.

the Sky have to many centers and Azura has not proven she is consistent with outside shooting. I am not high on Azra being a good fit for the sky.

Reaction Score
I think Azura will be a great fit for the Fever or Sky. Her per 40 mins stats are insane. Can she improve quite a bit? Yes, which is a good thing. She’s very versatile & I think the same came can be said for her with the fact that having to play behind Pheesa & Williams hurt her rhythm & possibly confidence. She will be more than fine.

Reaction Score
I think Azura will be a great fit for the Fever or Sky. Her per 40 mins stats are insane. Can she improve quite a bit? Yes, which is a good thing. She’s very versatile & I think the same came can be said for her with the fact that having to play behind Pheesa & Williams hurt her rhythm & possibly confidence. She will be more than fine.

I think when Z came into the game she messed up the rhythm of the offense.

Reaction Score
I really want the Sparks to get Billings she would be a good compliment to Nneka and Candace.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Z needs to be paired with a center with some bulk. Stef fits that bill.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was hoping Brown would end up in LA..... would have loved to see a Gray-Brown-Beard lineup.... but since they signed that guard from Rutgers..... cant see them using a pick on another guard.

Reaction Score
I was hoping Brown would end up in LA..... would have loved to see a Gray-Brown-Beard lineup.... but since they signed that guard from Rutgers..... cant see them using a pick on another guard.

They also have Odyssey Sims, Riquna Williams, Ana Dabovic, Essence Carson, and Sydney Wiese.... plus Jolene Anderson and Karlie Samuelson as training camp extras.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is such a deep draft, that teams such as Minnesota might want to trade up in the round to get the player they could really use. For example, if a Lexi Brown or Kia Nurse slips in the draft.
Like Minnesota needs more talent.

Reaction Score
the Sky have to many centers and Azura has not proven she is consistent with outside shooting. I am not high on Azra being a good fit for the sky.
She is listed as a forward now, which is probably a better fit for her. She'll have to hit the mid range stuff. I think she will.

Reaction Score
Like Minnesota needs more talent.

Well actually the Lynx had two retirements in Plenette Pierson and Jia Perkins, and Renee Montgomery moved on to Atlanta, so the bench could be a little shaky right now. The Lynx thought it was a good idea to trade the #12 pick for Danielle Robinson. Not really loving that move. DRob hasn’t been the same player since her Achilles surgery, and she hasn’t hit a three point in her long WNBA career.

The Sparks are looking like the team to beat.

Reaction Score
Well actually the Lynx had two retirements in Plenette Pierson and Jia Perkins, and Renee Montgomery moved on to Atlanta, so the bench could be a little shaky right now. The Lynx thought it was a good idea to trade the #12 pick for Danielle Robinson. Not really loving that move. DRob hasn’t been the same player since her Achilles surgery, and she hasn’t hit a three point in her long WNBA career.

The Sparks are looking like the team to beat.
Hopefully, that will be by the Sun.

Reaction Score
Having a hard time not seeing Marie Gulich's name in the 1st round? I think Marie is drafted in the 1st round. Gulich has intangibles to go along with her amazing tangibles.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, that will be by the Sun.

How do you Sun guys think they’ll handle Chiney coming back? Seems like they don’t want to do anything too differently than what gave them success last year, so how do you work Chiney back into the mix? Does she come off the bench?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
How do you Sun guys think they’ll handle Chiney coming back? Seems like they don’t want to do anything too differently than what gave them success last year, so how do you work Chiney back into the mix? Does she come off the bench?

That's the $64,000 question this year. I suspect she may come off the bench initially.

The starters down the stretch were Jaz, AT, JJ, Courtney and Strick. Tuck was the top scorer early in the season but suffered an injury and was off her game when she eventually returned. If Tuck has a great camp, she might start in place of Strick.

The challenge will be maintaining floor balance and spacing without forcing JJ to the perimeter to much on offense, I think. With Chiney and AT in the game at the same time that is more difficult.

Overall, the Sun team should be capable of running with any team in the league and should continue their high pace style. I'm hoping the quality 3 point threat will be there again. I would also expect them to be really good off the boards. JJ, Chiney, AT and Court are all terrific rebounders.

Barring injuries, the Sun should be a better team this year. The problem is other teams, particularly Atlanta, will be much better. There are no easy games in the W, and no one will be looking past the Sun this summer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom