OT: - 3 best / worst takeaways from the Tokyo Olympics | The Boneyard

OT: 3 best / worst takeaways from the Tokyo Olympics

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Here are mine:

Good:
1 - The superb gold medal performances by USA women - teams (Volleyball, Beach Volleyball, WBB, Water Polo) and individuals, just a huge performance
2 - Good announcing - when it was good. Paul Sunderland and Kevin Barnett on Volleyball, Kara Lawson and Monica McNutt on WBB, lots of experts in other sports. But see bad announcing below.
3 - That the Olympics happened for the athletes. To see the sheer joy on their faces when they won.

Bad:
1 - The timing and structure of the NBC coverage. It was much better in the past, and while the time difference was a part of it, you really didn't know where to find certain sports. Of course, NBC used less broadcast channels than in the past, I believe, so no channel was "reserved" for a particular sport. But I just found it all confusing and annoying.
2 - The bad announcing - when it was bad. While it wasn't often, there were times it descended to the insipid. I didn't see many of the "featurettes" that we had in prior Olympics, either, probably a casualty of the pandemic. While it isn't my favorite sport, the rhythmic gymnastics announcing in what was an exciting final was, um, lacking.
3 - The lack of fans and athlete families. You had to feel sorry for them. NOT suggesting they should have had fans, simply acknowledging that the lack of fans was sad for the participants.

Happy to hear other thoughts.

Reaction Score
Japan lost a boatload of money. No crowds to fill up the hotels and restaurants, no cheering crowds for the athletes.
They would’ve lost a boatload WITH crowds. They lost an aircraft carrier’s amt of money. Two in fact.

Reaction Score
Here are mine:

Good:
1 - The superb gold medal performances by USA women - teams (Volleyball, Beach Volleyball, WBB, Water Polo) and individuals, just a huge performance
2 - Good announcing - when it was good. Paul Sunderland and Kevin Barnett on Volleyball, Kara Lawson and Monica McNutt on WBB, lots of experts in other sports. But see bad announcing below.
3 - That the Olympics happened for the athletes. To see the sheer joy on their faces when they won.

Bad:
1 - The timing and structure of the NBC coverage. It was much better in the past, and while the time difference was a part of it, you really didn't know where to find certain sports. Of course, NBC used less broadcast channels than in the past, I believe, so no channel was "reserved" for a particular sport. But I just found it all confusing and annoying.
2 - The bad announcing - when it was bad. While it wasn't often, there were times it descended to the insipid. I didn't see many of the "featurettes" that we had in prior Olympics, either, probably a casualty of the pandemic. While it isn't my favorite sport, the rhythmic gymnastics announcing in what was an exciting final was, um, lacking.
3 - The lack of fans and athlete families. You had to feel sorry for them. NOT suggesting they should have had fans, simply acknowledging that the lack of fans was sad for the participants.

Agree about the criticisms, especially NBC. They’re still trying to tightly control information, but that only means that it was hard to plan ahead for times and locations of coverage.

Other than Rowdy Gaines not much on the announcing side. I cannot figure out how Dan Hicks has become the premiere announcer for all NBC sports. Fine but blander than wonder bread.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I am grateful that the Games went forward. Though a number of athletes experienced heartbreak at having to withdraw due to positive Covid tests, I was pleasantly surprised that the numbers stayed relatively small. The overwhelming majority of athletes were able to live out their Olympic dreams.

Two of my favorite commentator pairings during the Games:
—Track and field (sprint and hurdle events): Ato Bolden and Sanya Richards-Ross
—Beach volleyball: Chris Marlowe and Kevin Wong

I'm not a huge fan of diving but I like hearing Cynthia Potter's insights.

I agree that NBC could surely do a better job of helping us figure out which sport would be shown at what time and on what channel.

Reaction Score
It's not just these Olympics, but in sports TV coverage in general, the cameras are too intrusive, too many close-ups for me

Reaction Score
That was my biggest takeaway. I certainly would have watched more if they’d had a master list of what was on when and where.
NBC and other media outlets did have (still there) the Olympics master TV schedules...day by day events, times and channels. A quick Google search would have found these master lists to print out and place next to recliner.

NBC:

Sporting News:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I am grateful that the Games went forward. Though a number of athletes experienced heartbreak at having to withdraw due to positive Covid tests, I was pleasantly surprised that the numbers stayed relatively small. The overwhelming majority of athletes were able to live out their Olympic dreams.

Two of my favorite commentator pairings during the Games:
—Track and field (sprint and hurdle events): Ato Bolden and Sanya Richards-Ross
—Beach volleyball: Chris Marlowe and Kevin Wong

I'm not a huge fan of diving but I like hearing Cynthia Potter's insights.

I agree that NBC could surely do a better job of helping us figure out which sport would be shown at what time and on what channel.
Chris Marlowe is one of my favorite all time announcers. He injects so much energy into his broadcasts and knows his stuff.

Reaction Score
Bruce Springsteen’s daughter medaled in an Equestrian event.

Women continue to shine.

NBC could have done better but they had a couple of big hills to climb. The time difference was a killer. With news streaming in your face 24/7, everyone knew the outcome of the events before they were aired in prime time. COVID restrictions turned off a certain amount of viewers. There wasn’t the normal excitement about the games this year. Those two things hurt viewership which hurts revenues.

Pickleball for geezers (75 and older) will be added for the next Olympics.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
watching three now and forevermore alltime greats just beast out.
carissa, kevin, and breanna.

Reaction Score
Good:
1). 3x3 Basketball: Pretty exciting! Loved the battles. One of my favorites to watch. Plus it was quick!
2). Water Polo: Never really realized how difficult that sport is to play.
3). Great Display of Sportsmanship: Of few moments that stand out. During the female skateboarding event. The Japanese skateboarder was in the running for one of the medals. She fell and ended up missing out on a medal. She was in tears but a few of the opponents ran over and picked the Japanese skater up on to their shoulders. Not gonna lie, I got into my feelings. Or the high jumpers from Italy & Qatar. That was a beautiful moment. The Olympic Games is not just a celebration of sports but more importantly a celebration of the sportsmanship. And the Olympians never fail to showcase that.

Bad:
1). The TV/Streaming Coverage: OMG!! Just a mess.

2). The announcing in some of the sports: Baseball was iffy. Soccer was meh. Boxing..SMH

3). Explaining why Russia was called ROC over and over and over again. Folks could have did a Google search to find out why Russia was called the ROC for the Olympics if they really wanted to know why.

Reaction Score
Here are mine:

Good:

Bad:

KnightBridgeAZ,

Thanks for the inciteful post above.
Due to long hours at work, as well as the time difference, I didn’t see much of the games. However, I saw the pairing of Maria Taylor and Kara Lawson. Taylor recently resigned from ESPN (contract dispute, leaked audio of Rachel Nichols’ statement about her [Taylor’s] assignments. She directly moved on to NBC, while Lawson left ESPN a couple years ago.
Monica McNutt is still employed by ESPN.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
KnightBridgeAZ,

Thanks for the inciteful post above.
Due to long hours at work, as well as the time difference, I didn’t see much of the games. However, I saw the pairing of Maria Taylor and Kara Lawson. Taylor recently resigned from ESPN (contract dispute, leaked audio of Rachel Nichols’ statement about her [Taylor’s] assignments. She directly moved on to NBC, while Lawson left ESPN a couple years ago.
Monica McNutt is still employed by ESPN.
Thank you.

Yes, ESPN employees worked the games. McNutt being one of them, and probably some I don't even know. I do know that Beth Mowins, Michelle Smith and Jessica Mendoza did the softball, it was in the article about their hire that I learned NBC was getting to use ESPN talent. NBC apparently didn't have enough folks to go around. I liked McNutt, she appeared with Lawson at some half-times, but they didn't call games together. The play-by-play was Bob Fitzgerald, I think, from the Warriors. According to an old article, Lisa Byington from Fox and the B10 Network was going to call soccer, but I don't know if that happened.

I did see Maria Taylor, but did not not know she had left ESPN. I saw her primarily in studio, where she was one of the hosts, I think I saw her with Lawson in an interview as well.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
The Japanese national team would be a top-half team in the WNBA. The Dream should snag their coach, IMHO

Reaction Score
Maybe it was only on Comcast but we had an Olympic hub we’re you could look up a sport and see any current live broadcast and any upcoming broadcasts.

Reaction Score
The Japanese national team would be a top-half team in the WNBA. The Dream should snag their coach, IMHO
The japanese team was in awesome shape.Running up and down the court the whole game. No one seemed tired. Ferorious defense, especialling the double teaming in the which the USA could not break and lost possesion many times.

Reaction Score
The japanese team was in awesome shape.Running up and down the court the whole game. No one seemed tired. Ferorious defense, especialling the double teaming in the which the USA could not break and lost possesion many times.

Except the one time they tried to double Stewie, she picked the ball up over her head and made a pass for an easy bucket
They didn't try to double her again.

Reaction Score
Maybe they seemed to be in awesome shape as they were pretty much subbed 5 out-5 in........

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
NBC and other media outlets did have (still there) the Olympics master TV schedules...day by day events, times and channels. A quick Google search would have found these master lists to print out and place next to recliner.

NBC:

Sporting News:
The Sporting News page is what I’d have been looking for, but it was never in the first three or so pages of any google search I did. I found the NBC page quickly, but cumbersome to search through and non-specific about what would be broadcast when.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The Sporting News page is what I’d have been looking for, but it was never in the first three or so pages of any google search I did. I found the NBC page quickly, but cumbersome to search through and non-specific about what would be broadcast when.
For us, we taped everything on NBC / CNBC / NBCSN / USA. But the issue was that what was "supposed" to be on per DirecTV guide wasn't always, so we had to fast forward through everything. Even the (supposed) 3rd or 4th showing of a Team USA game that didn't turn out to be that at all.

Then, the last couple of days, NBC rearranged the shows a bit, and we didn't get a couple of things because the "guide" changed after I taped. Like the live showing of the WBB Final - although, taping everything, we had multiple replays to choose from.

Very frustrating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom