3 BE teams Who Could End UConn’s Conference Unbeaten Streak | The Boneyard

3 BE teams Who Could End UConn’s Conference Unbeaten Streak

Reaction Score
Register - Citizen Article about 3 teams that "could" beat us.
The balance of power in the Big East for women’s basketball isn’t a mystery. But that doesn’t mean they won’t run into a few tests along the way, maybe even in conference. The balance of power in the Big East for women’s basketball isn’t a mystery. UConn likely will be favored, perhaps unanimously.

Why not us? 3 Big East teams who could end UConn’s conference unbeaten streak

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
lol.gif

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The balance of power in the Big East for women’s basketball isn’t a mystery. But that doesn’t mean they won’t run into a few tests along the way, maybe even in conference. The balance of power in the Big East for women’s basketball isn’t a mystery. UConn likely will be favored, perhaps unanimously.

This is what going to a new conference does for fan involvement and excitement. Geno, his staff and of course the players are all exciting about playing their new BE opponents for the first time. Yes, UConn is expected to run the table in the BIG East this year, BUT................none of the teams are lining up to kiss their rings. Not sure if any of their opponents match up with the Huskies size wise or depth wise, but you can bet all of them will give it the old college try.

UConn will be the biggest game on everyone's schedule, and as such will get their best shot. Every team wants to beat UConn, and would relish the distinction and notoriety of being the first to do so. :cool:

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In all honesty, it would be great if the NBE developed some real competition for UConn WBB. I’m hoping that happens sooner rather than later. But I was hoping for the same from the AAC, and it never quite materialized.

Reaction Score
This is what going to a new conference does for fan involvement and excitement. Geno, his staff and of course the players are all exciting about playing their new BE opponents for the first time. Yes, UConn is expected to run the table in the BIG East this year, BUT................none of the teams are lining up to kiss their rings. Not sure if any of their opponents match up with the Huskies size wise or depth wise, but you can bet all of them will give it the old college try.

UConn will be the biggest game on everyone's schedule, and as such will get their best shot. Every team wants to beat UConn, and would relish the distinction and notoriety of being the first to do so. :cool:

As Mike Tyson famously said, “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

“relishing playing UConn” will last about 10 minutes of the first game. Then...

Reaction Score
I am sad to say that I really have not followed the Big East since we left so am not qualified to judge who will be a real rival. Hopefully the competition will exceed that which we faced in the AAC. It was really hard to watch many of those games because of the disparity in talent. It wasn't even a case of who would win but how soon the subs would be coming in. The game is much better to watch when teams are evenly matched 9As long as Uconn wins.

Reaction Score
I am sad to say that I really have not followed the Big East since we left so am not qualified to judge who will be a real rival. Hopefully the competition will exceed that which we faced in the AAC. It was really hard to watch many of those games because of the disparity in talent. It wasn't even a case of who would win but how soon the subs would be coming in. The game is much better to watch when teams are evenly matched 9As long as Uconn wins.

An evenly matched opponent for UConn is generally a top 10 team. Against almost any +25 team it's a blowout. What I disliked about the AAC were a few teams that turned games into rugby scrums.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I would say DePaul has the best chance to beat UConn. They almost always plays UConn tough and by the 4th quarter, UConn's superior talent wins out. However, now playing them twice a year, there's more chance. All it takes is for DePaul to make a high percentage (above 55%) of three point shots and make 20+ and the upset is likely. UConn this year has guard depth, it will be interesting to see if they can play defense.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't get your hopes up too much.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hope Geno and staff start recruiting for the other NBE teams :oops:

I know he has this vision that since this is a basketball focused conference, it will get stronger but I am not holding my breath As long as our OOC schedule gives us 5+ top 20's and DePaul hangs around a top 20, we control our destiny each year.

Reaction Score
I believe St Johns was the last unranked team to beat UConn. But right after they won, they were ranked! Not as if it were a fluke by a nobody.

UConn will have to come out forgetting that they're not in the AAC anymore, and that these teams are tougher and more determined. Will be interesting.

Reaction Score

If they plan on beating UCONN, it will have to be really early in the season. Otherwise, there is no chance.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, UConn is currently on a 139 game conference winning streak and has to win 5 more conference without a loss to establish the longest conference winning streak in Women's basketball. I believe the record is held by Coach Jody Conradt at the University of Texas at 143 games.

Reaction Score
An evenly matched opponent for UConn is generally a top 10 team. Against almost any +25 team it's a blowout. What I disliked about the AAC were a few teams that turned games into rugby scrums.
Thanks for that thought, Alydar. I can't recall any of the teams in the old Big East, other than Rutgers, as bring so "physical". It really went over the top at times and the sad part was that they allowed it to continue.

Reaction Score
Thanks for that thought, Alydar. I can't recall any of the teams in the old Big East, other than Rutgers, as bring so "physical". It really went over the top at times and the sad part was that they allowed it to continue.

SEC mentality. Good riddance. :)

Reaction Score
From a personal point of view, I would like UConn to be challenged as much as possible in the BE. I am very aware of the potential talent of this team. However, I would like UConn ro work for their wins against stiff competition so that their season is not a walk in the park. Being challenged, in my opinion, ( which is what this statement is) prepares the team to really compete in the tournament if their is going to be a tournament. I like it when they work hard and prepare hard for their opportunity to play.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
From a personal point of view, I would like UConn to be challenged as much as possible in the BE. I am very aware of the potential talent of this team. However, I would like UConn ro work for their wins against stiff competition so that their season is not a walk in the park. Being challenged, in my opinion, ( which is what this statement is) prepares the team to really compete in the tournament if their is going to be a tournament. I like it when they work hard and prepare hard for their opportunity to play.
Not for me. I want to see really good UCONN basketball played. It's one of the reasons I actually appreciated all the blowouts in the AAC, or against any over-matched opponent.

I LOVE seeing UCONN score in a variety of ways - defense giving the other team fits leading to each baskets. Full court press flummoxing the other teams' offense. And then crisp offense in the half court - whether against a zone or against a man to man defense.

UCONN played plenty of over-matched opponents in the AAC who actually gave us a tough game for 10-15 minutes. If you go back and look at the box score, there were stretches where UCONN struggled. Was it because we lost focus? Because the other team picked it up? Some combo of the 2? Point is there are very few games that UCONN plays that looks like a college team vs. a high school team.

We will have plenty of tough games OOC. Some tougher than others. Many of the teams in the Big East are solid "mid majors" who are well coached and will only improve year in and year out facing off against UCONN. I look forward to watching every game, and to seeing some really good UCONN team basketball...

Reaction Score
You lost me at the Register Citizen. Who reads that? That stopped being a newspaper over 20 years ago. I am shocked they still publish it.

Reaction Score
Some Big East team will beat us eventually, but not for at least 5-6 years, hopefully.
Ditto. The only way I see UConn losing and in conference game for the foreseeable future is if Geno gets mad and benches his starters and the frosh he puts in are out of sync. Very, very, very unlikely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom