3 BE teams Who Could End UConn’s Conference Unbeaten Streak | Page 2 | The Boneyard

3 BE teams Who Could End UConn’s Conference Unbeaten Streak

Reaction Score
An evenly matched opponent for UConn is generally a top 10 team. Against almost any +25 team it's a blowout. What I disliked about the AAC were a few teams that turned games into rugby scrums.

Ugh, playing UCF when their entire game plan is to just be nasty

Reaction Score
Thanks for that thought, Alydar. I can't recall any of the teams in the old Big East, other than Rutgers, as bring so "physical". It really went over the top at times and the sad part was that they allowed it to continue.

As I recall, Syracuse could be pretty "physical" (read, dirty) at times, too. But living in Maine, that was mostly what I could glean from WTIC broadcasts (RIP) that came in clear as the proverbial bell most nights up here.

Reaction Score
Thanks for that thought, Alydar. I can't recall any of the teams in the old Big East, other than Rutgers, as bring so "physical". It really went over the top at times and the sad part was that they allowed it to continue.
Rutgers was essentially an SEC team in Big East clothing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can't see UConn losing a conference game until after Geno retires.

Reaction Score
From a personal point of view, I would like UConn to be challenged as much as possible in the BE. I am very aware of the potential talent of this team. However, I would like UConn ro work for their wins against stiff competition so that their season is not a walk in the park. Being challenged, in my opinion, ( which is what this statement is) prepares the team to really compete in the tournament if their is going to be a tournament. I like it when they work hard and prepare hard for their opportunity to play.
The best possible thing for UCONN and the women's game, is to have more highly competitive teams. That is happening, but not so much in the Big East. If Fuzz goes anywhere but UCONN, that team immediately becomes a top competitor. Although, Maryland, UCLA and Louisville already fit that category. Maybe she should go to Illinois.

Reaction Score
Even Fudd, with all her accolades and evident skills is not capable of single-handedly making every team a “top competitor”! She is clearly a potential “generational” talent, but no one is that good! Of course, any team will be vastly improved by having her and to make it even better, she appears to be a really good person as well. I am definitely praying that she chooses UCONN as (in addition to her “generational talent) she appears to be just the kind of recruit that Geno often refers to as a UCONN player! If she does come here, I would have to think that UCONN, for the next 5 or so years, will have the greatest collection of talent ever seen in college WBB. I realize that is a pretty grand claim, but I firmly believe it is arguably true!

Reaction Score
DePaul is the most likely team to beat UConn in conference in the short term but personally I’ll enjoy watching as the entire conference takes their shot home and away. UConn rejoining has the ability help BE teams, a basketball first conference, to improve their recruiting and on court play. Something that never materialized in our time in the aac.

Reaction Score
In all honesty, it would be great if the NBE developed some real competition for UConn WBB. I’m hoping that happens sooner rather than later. But I was hoping for the same from the AAC, and it never quite materialized.
I think this will be different after a few years. I expect the recruiting to improve for the other teams and the intensity and rivalries you will see in the men's league will hopefully spill over into ours. The Seton Hall game last year at Walsh that I went to had a great buzz and atmosphere to it and I expect to see that only continue especially for the Old Big East teams with a history with UCONN.

Reaction Score
Even Fudd, with all her accolades and evident skills is not capable of single-handedly making every team a “top competitor”! She is clearly a potential “generational” talent, but no one is that good! Of course, any team will be vastly improved by having her and to make it even better, she appears to be a really good person as well. I am definitely praying that she chooses UCONN as (in addition to her “generational talent) she appears to be just the kind of recruit that Geno often refers to as a UCONN player! If she does come here, I would have to think that UCONN, for the next 5 or so years, will have the greatest collection of talent ever seen in college WBB. I realize that is a pretty grand claim, but I firmly believe it is arguably true!
It will certainly be the first college backcourt to rival Bird- Taurasi.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think this will be different after a few years. I expect the recruiting to improve for the other teams and the intensity and rivalries you will see in the men's league will hopefully spill over into ours. The Seton Hall game last year at Walsh that I went to had a great buzz and atmosphere to it and I expect to see that only continue especially for the Old Big East teams with a history with UCONN.
I hope you’re right. But I remember thinking that recruiting would improve for the other teams in the AAC, and it never quite happened.

Reaction Score
I hope you’re right. But I remember thinking that recruiting would improve for the other teams in the AAC, and it never quite happened.
I thought that too but there is one major difference in the conferences. The Big East is a nationally prominent top tier basketball conference historically and actually with member schools in areas where great players come from. The AAC was not with only limited exceptions.

Reaction Score
I appreciate talent, believe me but I don't know where blow-out lovers get their thrill.
Nothing beats beating a tough conference team in a close game.
I miss the C. Vivian Stringer-led back alley rock fights.
The awe of a wonderfully casted, directed and produced game is one thing.
A heroic display of guts, determination and rivalry brings the thrill index up for me.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ugh, playing UCF when AS their entire game plan is to just be nasty
There, I fixed it for you! :rolleyes:

I do take solace that Joanna Bernabei-McNamee replaced Abe at Albany, got hired at BC and now looks like the significantly better coach...with a happier dispositional look on the sidelines... ;)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, because of boredom and the fact I had the stats, I just crunched the Offensive and Defensive numbers from last year by conferences. No surprise but the NBE is a better conference than the AAC, 4 teams ranked in the top 107 in offense (#2-DePaul; #40-St.John's;#57-Seton Hall and #107-Marquette) whereas only 2 other teams from the AAC were (#81-Cincinnati and #98-Temple). NBE ranked 13th at 66.6 pts vs. AAC 21st at 63.9 (with UConn's numbers #16 offense of 77.9 ppg). That alone will help the aesthetics of watching.

Defensively, NBE was 14th @ 64.4 ppg; AAC was 7th @ 62.7 ppg (again w/UConn #6 @53.1 ppg boosting this conference). I attribute the AAC defense more to the atrocious offense or LACK of offense than lock down defensive prowess. .

When combining both sets of conference stats, NBE was 10th and AAC 14th. The P5 were the top 5 ranked conferences in combined ranking.

All said, the opportunity is better for this conference to achieve better acclaim. Here's the data...
TmsConferenceC-OffRkC-DefRkO-D
12​
Pac-12
69.5​
6​
62.8​
6​
128.2​
10​
Big 12
71.8​
1​
65.0​
23​
133.4​
14​
SEC
70.1​
5​
63.7​
10​
136.2​
14​
Big Ten
70.3​
3​
64.6​
19​
138.0​
15​
ACC
67.2​
8​
63.3​
11​
149.3​
8​
Ivy League
64.7​
16​
61.0​
4​
150.2​
14​
C-USA
65.9​
11​
64.2​
13​
163.9​
10​
MVC
69.5​
7​
66.6​
28​
164.7​
10​
Big East
66.6​
13​
64.4​
14​
168.0​
10​
WCC
65.8​
12​
63.1​
18​
168.1​
9​
ASUN
65.9​
14​
64.6​
17​
168.7​
14​
Atlantic 10
61.5​
28​
60.9​
1​
171.1​
12​
MAC
69.8​
2​
68.2​
31​
171.8​
12​
AAC
63.9​
21​
62.7​
7​
173.9​

Reaction Score
I appreciate talent, believe me but I don't know where blow-out lovers get their thrill.
Nothing beats beating a tough conference team in a close game.
I miss the C. Vivian Stringer-led back alley rock fights.
The awe of a wonderfully casted, directed and produced game is one thing.
A heroic display of guts, determination and rivalry brings the thrill index up for me.

I for one enjoy watching UConn play their best. In the years when blowouts were common the close games were usually due to mediocre/poor play from UConn because when they were good they were very very good and no one could stay with them. Even other very good teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom