3-4-4 Defense | Page 3 | The Boneyard

3-4-4 Defense

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
As does every 3-4 ever employed. Including the Giants with LT, the Pats for most of their existence, the Ravens best defenses, the best Steelers defenses etc. Randy is just proposing the classic 3-4 used by Parcells, Noll and others. Line up 2 OLB on the edge, rush one, drop one, blitz 2, drop both.

Let's not pretend that 3-4 vs 4-3 is anything more than a personnel decision in most cases. Belichick went 4-3 a few years back because he discovered the price per talent (and draft position) for DTs was lower than DEs and OLBs who could rush the passer. But look at the NFL draft, they just call all OLB/DE "Edge" now.

Whether he has it on the roster or not, I think Edsall will have an easier time finding 230-250 pound guys who can run to fit this system. If he can find one NT and two bigger DEs, it won't be easy to run on us. I think 3-4 is a better run D than 4-3. Those two MLBs can seal gaps.

It may be true that Edsall might have an easier time finding the linebacker-type bodies. The better question is; what has he already found with his current roster?

Hopefully this goes well, but I share the concern that most on the board have with our linebacker unit, with the caveat that I think Jones will be great and I'm hoping Harris will be special as well...

Reaction Score
It may be true that Edsall might have an easier time finding the linebacker-type bodies. The better question is; what has he already found with his current roster?

Hopefully this goes well, but I share the concern that most on the board have with our linebacker unit, with the caveat that I think Jones will be great and I'm hoping Harris will be special as well...

After last year I would willingly settle in 2019 for "average" and hope for "great" and "special" in the future.

Reaction Score
That’s what I don’t get either unless they move some guys around.
Pencil in Harris and Jones. Who’s the other two?
Maybe Eli Thomas, or Gilmartin, Mitchell the incoming freshman, Webb. Kevon Jones is built like a lineman anyway, he's 255 pounds. He's probably the floater in that new scheme. Or maybe they move DeVaughn to ILB.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
After last year I would willingly settle in 2019 for "average" and hope for "great" and "special" in the future.

Sometimes, it's hard to see the great or special in people when they are surrounded by suck. Let's hope the others don't suck...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Hard to say. Have high hopes for Harris. I have some hope though that they can take 215-220 pound “athletes” and turn them into LBs by RS sophomore year. Turning them into DL is a tougher task.

Along those lines is there anybody on the roster who we think can make that jump this year? Is there a safety that could have put on 15-20 pounds since last year? You guys follow the depth chart more closely than I do.

Reaction Score
Maybe Eli Thomas, or Gilmartin, Mitchell the incoming freshman, Webb. Kevon Jones is built like a lineman anyway, he's 255 pounds. He's probably the floater in that new scheme. Or maybe they move DeVaughn to ILB.
Watching his high school tape, I believe it would be a mistake to move Vaughn inside. He a combination of speed and an ability to bend that is pretty rare. He is made to be a edge rusher. I would NOT move him.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Defenses are in specialty packages with 5 or more DBs 80% of the time. Whether the base D is a 3-4 or 4-3 is largely irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Defenses are in specialty packages with 5 or more DBs 80% of the time. Whether the base D is a 3-4 or 4-3 is largely irrelevant.
As long as we have more mature bodies on D this year (with our back 7.. our front 3 or 4 or 4 or 3 will be fine this time around...), that have been properly taught to WRAP up and tackle, we should see major improvements from that standpoint... We'll be able to stop somebody on D for once...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom