3-4-4 Defense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

3-4-4 Defense

Reaction Score
I know the players call it a 3-4-4, how it actually gets implemented will be interesting. The idea is to have the rush angles less predictable. Travis will be almost guaranteed to be double again for much of the season. From what I am told the key guys they hope to free up on the runs and short stuff are LB’s Harris and Jones.

......and you saw the speed in Jones for that? Would would be the only one.

Reaction Score
Just wait until our DBs line up 15 yards off the LOS in a soft zone.

But hey, if we can make opposing offenses run 3+ plays before scoring a touchdown next season, it will be a pretty sizable improvement from 2018.
Especially on 3rd and 2.

C

Chief00

How can this be when CHIEF BROKE THE NEWS TODAY?!
That article did not say a 3-4 front - and remember Crocker had 5 DBs. At any rate, I did not read it and it wasn’t my source. Another case of chess vs checkers.

Reaction Score
That article did not say a 3-4 front - and remember Crocker had 5 DBs. At any rate, I did not read it and it wasn’t my source. Another case of chess vs checkers.

King uconndogs Chief!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What else would you call a new defense with 3 down lineman? The elusive 3-1-7?

Lol when you add this “feather” to your cap.

C

Chief00

What else would you call a new defense with 3 down lineman? The elusive 3-1-7?

Lol when you add this “feather” to your cap.

You certainly weren’t a math major - LOL. We just had a defensive coordinator who had a 3-3-5. In certain situations, teams have gone with a 6 DB package, but that’s not a core base defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You certainly weren’t a math major - LOL. We just had a defensive coordinator who had a 3-5-5. In certain situations, teams have gone with a 6 DB package, but that’s not a core base defense.

you know you are on the football board? american football? 11 players a side

Reaction Score
You certainly weren’t a math major - LOL. We just had a defensive coordinator who had a 3-5-5. In certain situations, teams have gone with a 6 DB package, but that’s not a core base defense.

I think we would do pretty well with a 3-5-5 even with our personnel.

Bourbon or Scotch Chief?

Reaction Score
Gentlemen, we are going to the 3-4-4 defense next season. Take it from Chief.

Chief can break news in both sports!

That's not going out on a limb

Reaction Score
Got to play to our strengths (47 DB’s) and go with the 1-1-9.
We can’t stop the run, can’t stop the midrange passing game.
So go fulltime prevent D. Keep them out of the end zone for 5, hopefully 6, plays. Make the other team work this year to score!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't know enough about the 3-4-4, but it sounds like it morphs into a 4-3 anyways, depending on how often you rush that rover DE...

As does every 3-4 ever employed. Including the Giants with LT, the Pats for most of their existence, the Ravens best defenses, the best Steelers defenses etc. Randy is just proposing the classic 3-4 used by Parcells, Noll and others. Line up 2 OLB on the edge, rush one, drop one, blitz 2, drop both.

Let's not pretend that 3-4 vs 4-3 is anything more than a personnel decision in most cases. Belichick went 4-3 a few years back because he discovered the price per talent (and draft position) for DTs was lower than DEs and OLBs who could rush the passer. But look at the NFL draft, they just call all OLB/DE "Edge" now.

Whether he has it on the roster or not, I think Edsall will have an easier time finding 230-250 pound guys who can run to fit this system. If he can find one NT and two bigger DEs, it won't be easy to run on us. I think 3-4 is a better run D than 4-3. Those two MLBs can seal gaps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom