3.0 Night - very impressive | Page 2 | The Boneyard

3.0 Night - very impressive

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As a proud father of girls, I tell them all the time and firmly believe it: Girls are smarter than Boys.

As the mom of two son, I disagree. My oldest was distinguished honors at WPI with degrees in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
I don’t know about smarter, but girls tend to gain the ability to delay gratification. Sooner than boys in the us are often better decision makers. At about age 27 boys catch up.

That’s on average, of course. Individual results may vary.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know if there were any other Top10 teams that had their entire starting five at the 3.0 GPA level or above. Another indicator that Geno looks at the total woman in his recruiting assessment.
It is kind of hard to draw any meaningful conclusions with grading standards differing wildly between schools. Duke had over 80% of its athletes above 3.0 for the last academic year. I actually felt a little bit embarrassed to pull up the list because it seemed way too personal to know which players did not reach that mark.

Reaction Score
I like your father!!!!!!!!!!
For the students' sake you don't want to submit to cajoling and/or coercion. I was a adjunct at two universities. Interestingly mostly the international students would individually or collectively attempt to cajole or coerce me at quarter's end for a better grades. They would threaten to leave the class en masse. I had to explain as an adjunct teaching was something I enjoyed; it was not the source of my income. I reminded them I held tutoring sessions every weekend. Where were they when I suggested they needed to attend? Any case why I taught was fortunately experienced several times. For one of several examples Jorge from Venezuela was most angry with me because he knew I had raised the grades of three other students who just missed by a point or two. But I refused to raise his grade which was 3 points shy of a C. Unmoved I explained he did not need help. I was certain he had a very high IQ. I told him he had a responsibility to achieve his potential. He cursed his way out the door saying he would never take any of my classes ever again.. Fast forward 1.5 years. I am taking role on the first day of this class. I stopped, looked up for eye contact with Jorge! At the break I told him I had not changed and hope he did. Well at quarter end he asked about his grade. I said "You know you have the best grade in the class." He smiled and thanked me for not giving into him like the other professors. Yes, he hated me for short period but eventually realized he was not realizing his mental gifts. Since our tête-à-tête he earned all A's. I could have floated home with a big smile and teary eyes. I achieved much in my business career but closing multimillion dollar deals never gave me the wonderful feeling I experienced when I was able the reach a student or an employee successfully. Just remembering Jorge has my eyes watering. Geez I miss it.
Know what's cool about this post on a sports forum? This story reflects the kinds of things that sports can show us. In both cases there is a playing space, a purpose, rules to regulate, and outcomes to achieve. There is exposure - do I/we have what it takes? There is opportunity to give effort - how hard do I have to work? Can I work as hard as it will take? Can I be at peace with outcomes having given highest effort?

I remember something about Geno's attitude/approach in sideline huddles during breaks. He said the asks himself, "What can I give them that could help?" Beercats did that, too. Nice!

Reaction Score
I dont think we will know until March.

These were our SEC Academic Honor Roll Students (3.0) last March. (first year players, Kamilla was not eligible last year and Kierra won't be eligible this year.)

Laeticia Amihere - W Basketball - Sport and Entertainment Management

Brea Beal - W Basketball - Retailing

Aliyah Boston - W Basketball - Mass Communications

Zia Cooke - W Basketball - Mass Communications

LeLe Grissett - W Basketball - Non-Degree Seeking post graduate

Destanni Henderson - W Basketball - Criminology and Criminal Justice

Destiny Littleton - W Basketball - Non-Degree Seeking post graduate

Eniya Russell - W Basketball - Media Arts

Victaria Saxton - W Basketball - Criminology and Criminal Justice

Olivia Thompson - W Basketball - Psychology

Elysa Wesolek - W Basketball - Public Health
Retailing is a major??

Reaction Score
Retailing is a major??
yes, and why shouldn't it be? It is a very major part of the US economy andemploys millions of workers. As an employer, wouldn't you want to hire people for junior management who majored in the field ?

Reaction Score
Congrats to Dorka!

I'm an old guy and that brought a question to mind that has nothing to do with Dorka. . "Back in my day" a 4.0 was the penultimate GPA. When the world emerged out of those dark ages, I know that at least some schools grade allow grading that can be over 4.0. Have all schools changed or does it vary from one school to another? Majority? Minority? Not particularly asking about UConn, but just general.
Not certain if you were alluding to grade inflation.

Grades are now virtually meaningless at any level of education.

I retired after 32 years of teaching at the community college level.

Even allowing for selection bias one would expect most people in most activities to be average. Working from that assumption when I started teaching the most common grade assined was a C. The second most assigned grade was a B. The third most assigned grade was a virtual tie between A and D.

When I retired 6 years ago 65% of all grades assigned in the district were A

This is a pernicious and deeply troubling trend not only in higher education but throughout the educational system.

Once again grades are meaningless in terms of intellectual development or even as a measure of learning.

The above is not intended to denigrate the academic performance of the Huskies or any other division one athlete. The demands upon their time are unbelievable and as a reflection of their ability to budget time with an extremely intensive schedule that is physically demanding it reflects well on the entire program that supports these young ladies as well as the work they do in and out of the classroom.

" In the early 1960s, 15% of all college grades nationwide were A’s. Today, that number has tripled—45% of all grades are A’s. The most common grade awarded in college nationwide is an A.

Today’s students aren’t smarter or working harder today than in the past—in fact, the evidence suggests just the opposite."

1676652160303.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is not easy to do. My daughter made the Dean's list all but her freshman year. Had straight As her senior year. All while playing basketball and working. These girls get major props from me!
As you say, major props. I played 4 years of college basketball. I did not make the traditional Dean's List. However, I was in the Dean's Office on multiple occasions due to another kind of list.

Reaction Score
Retailing is a major??
It's part of a business degree, with an emphasis on marketing/retailing. Think I read somewhere that she wants to get into modeling, fashion, purchasing etc in the clothing industry.

Reaction Score
It is kind of hard to draw any meaningful conclusions with grading standards differing wildly between schools. Duke had over 80% of its athletes above 3.0 for the last academic year. I actually felt a little bit embarrassed to pull up the list because it seemed way too personal to know which players did not reach that mark.
Grade inflation, perhaps?

"For example, at Duke, which all evidence indicates is not a "leader" in grade inflation -- by a long shot -- C's now make up less than 10 percent of all grades. In 1969 the C was a respectable thing, given more than one-quarter of the time. A's overcame B's to reach the top of the charts in grade popularity in the early 1990s."

"A perusal of grade inflation rates at those few institutions open enough to publish such information indicates that, on average, grade-point averages are rising at a rate of about 0.15 points every decade. If things go on at that rate, practically everybody on campus will be getting all A's before mid-century, except for the occasional self-destructive student who doesn't hand in assignments or take exams -- if exams are even given.

A's are common as dirt in universities nowadays because it's almost impossible for a professor to grade honestly. If I sprinkle my classroom with the C's some students deserve, my class will suffer from declining enrollments in future years. In the marketplace mentality of higher education, low enrollments are taken as a sign of poor-quality instruction."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Retailing is a major??
Yes, and it’s more involved than you think. It’s marketing, sociology in the respect that there’s a study of buying habits, product placement (merchandising), economics….

There’s an entire industry devoted to product packaging, too. It’s really quite involved.

Reaction Score
Of the 12 players from fall semester, eight of them had a 3.0 gpa or above, with Dorka at 4.0!! As I was not a division 1-2-3 athlete, nor was I a (ahem) stellar student, I have immense respect for any student athlete trying to juggle all the demands of sports. It was interesting seeing all the other sports 3.0 athletes.

I don't disagree with you. It is really commendable to maintain a high grade point average and play Division ! sports. But, recalling from my days ( long time ago), there were academics and "there were academics." Meaning; at the biggest schools, it was scandalous sometimes what courses comprised the academic semester for star athletes. "Gut" courses to the extreme. My point is; one should look at who is getting an "A" in what, before handing out laurels. I suspect the UCONN women BB players are all legit. Molly Bent was pre-med, I believe, and all "A"s.

Reaction Score
It's part of a business degree, with an emphasis on marketing/retailing. Think I read somewhere that she wants to get into modeling, fashion, purchasing etc in the clothing industry.
Academic programs that have a strong vocational training are one of the few worthwhile endeavors in higher education. NAU has a hospitality degree to prepare students for work in that industry and it is relatively well regarded. Fields like retailing, accounting, engineering, computer programming, supply chain management, seem to me to be worth the extremely high levels of tuition that continue to rise at rates significantly above average inflation.

Students in these fields will most certainly earn enough to repay the significant levels of college debt they acquire to obtain the training and certification. Ironically these are fields that suffered less from great inflation than college as a whole. This is not to say that they haven't been impacted by great inflation because they have but it's just to a lesser extent than the overall college average which is moving toward uniform As

I suspect part of the reason is it's relatively easy to measure the acquisition of skills in these fields against a standard.

Reaction Score
Yes, and it’s more involved than you think. It’s marketing, sociology in the respect that there’s a study of buying habits, product placement (merchandising), economics….

There’s an entire industry devoted to product packaging, too. It’s really quite involved.
Interesting.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My wife got a pair of insoles a week or two back that were shipped in an 18 x 24 inch box. There were a couple of plastic air pillows tossed in the box, which I really got a kick out of. The same company is now advertising its reduction in packaging. Wish some of their folks had studied packaging a little more closely. ;)

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Not certain if you were alluding to grade inflation.

Grades are now virtually meaningless at any level of education.

I retired after 32 years of teaching at the community college level.

Even allowing for selection bias one would expect most people in most activities to be average. Working from that assumption when I started teaching the most common grade assined was a C. The second most assigned grade was a B. The third most assigned grade was a virtual tie between A and D.

When I retired 6 years ago 65% of all grades assigned in the district were A

This is a pernicious and deeply troubling trend not only in higher education but throughout the educational system.

Once again grades are meaningless in terms of intellectual development or even as a measure of learning.

The above is not intended to denigrate the academic performance of the Huskies or any other division one athlete. The demands upon their time are unbelievable and as a reflection of their ability to budget time with an extremely intensive schedule that is physically demanding it reflects well on the entire program that supports these young ladies as well as the work they do in and out of the classroom.

" In the early 1960s, 15% of all college grades nationwide were A’s. Today, that number has tripled—45% of all grades are A’s. The most common grade awarded in college nationwide is an A.

Today’s students aren’t smarter or working harder today than in the past—in fact, the evidence suggests just the opposite."

View attachment 84184
This has been my experience, both as a student (in the 60s) and as someone who taught at two public post-secondary institutions for a little more than 4 decades.

One example: when I graduated from a private school in New England in the 60s, the highest GPA in my graduating class (about 450 students, I think) was a bit over 3.7 (an A-). In the institution from which I retired 6 years ago after teaching there for 31 years 20+ students now graduate each year (out of about 4000) with grade point averages north of 4.0.

Believe me: giving students a (in your view) well-deserved B, or--god forbid--a C, when they have handed in all the work required, is not easy in a context in which those same students, doing the same level of work, are getting mostly A's. There is more than a little bewilderment and, in many cases, resentment, and it's not difficult to understand why. In effect, you're (I'm) telling those students that I'm right and mostly everyone else is wrong. Depending on how "tough"/stubborn you are it's maybe not an untenable situation, but it sure is difficult and depressing for everyone involved.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about smarter, but girls tend to gain the ability to delay gratification. Sooner than boys in the us are often better decision makers. At about age 27 47 boys catch up.

That’s on average, of course. Individual results may vary.
Fixed it for you :)

Reaction Score
There is more than a little bewilderment and, in many cases, resentment, and it's not difficult to understand why. In effect, you're (I'm) telling those students that I'm right and mostly everyone else is wrong. Depending on how "tough"/stubborn you are it's maybe not an untenable situation, but it sure is difficult and depressing for everyone involved.
It's a complex problem but now that the grade inflation is runaway there's no going back.

I can recall 10 or 11 years ago having a student come to my office hours to complain about the D on their term paper. Her first comment was I've never received anything other than an A.

The product she had turned in had obviously been thrown together the night before and was both incoherent and riddled with errors. Taking her response at face value it's clear that every other educator she had encountered had given up the fight.

We no longer have social promotion in our educational system we have social A.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom