2nd half thread! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2nd half thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Game Points
1. Geno has said several times much of the team’s offense will go through Stef. Well it did not look that way. Stef looked good as she should against this level of competition.
2. Hartley is still tied to high school basketball with her incessant dribbling, turnovers, and poor passing. No wonder she is getting on Geno’s nerves. Fortunately she is a scorer, so he must put up with her downside. Did not see the great leap forward players are supposed to make from their freshman year to their sophomore year.
3. Kelly is Kelly and still the head bricklayer. Fortunately all the rest is goodness.
4. Where was the slick running of Geno’s plays? Lots of standing around. This against Holy Cross!? I hope by January we are treated to what used to be … 3-5 passes ending in a score without a single dribble. Those were the days.
5. Kaleena is trying to displace Kelly as the head bricklayer. She is streaky! Hopefully against Stanford she will be good streaky. Good on the boards; just like you know who.
6. Kiah looks to understand the offense better than has been communicated. She shows real promise. I am feeling confident by January she will be a real positive for the team.
7. Tif 2 of 8 on 2 pt. shots. Ouch! Got to finish at the hoop. Again this is against Holy Cross. Come ‘on man, ah, girl.
8. Tif’s 3 pt. shots were a strong point. Nice rebounding. Really good overall.
9. Doty is looking good. Really played very well in all aspects of her game.
10. Coaches must be really down on Johnson. Would have like to see more than 5 minute of her. “She has to get stronger.” Sheesh! There are definite body types and her body type is not going to get thicker and stronger. Did they not understand this when they recruited her? Geno, look up ectomorph!
11. When Banks stops worrying about making mistakes, she will contribute. See January.
12. Heather! Dude! I know it just Holy Cross, but looooooking goooood! Nice numbers for 14 minutes.
13. Overall, considering it is Holy Cross, it was a tad ragged. Execution needs improving. Talent won the game, no necessarily execution.
14. Yeah, yeah! I know it is one game and a single data point does not a trend make.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
It's not the competition but the fact that Heather was willing to take the shots she did. Last year she played hot potato with the ball on offense; this game she was actually calling for the ball. She seems to have a different mindset and I'm happy to see it.
Let's see how her shot looks when Chiney or Neka is on her. She had a good game against a bad team. I don't understand how anyone can say Cross is better than last year. They are missing their only big player. Let's face it. If we play like today v. Stanford, the game will not be close. The offensive flow stunk

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Let's see how her shot looks when Chiney or Neka is on her. She had a good game against a bad team. I don't understand how anyone can say Cross is better than last year. They are missing their only big player. Let's face it. If we play like today v. Stanford, the game will not be close. The offensive flow stunk
So how do you really feel?

Reaction Score
Doty can play only so many minutes. She will sit simply due to her leg. And when she does, I agree, the team won't be as good. Bria dribble, dribbling at point is not very effective.

Bria's dribbling isn't the problem with the offense when CD leaves the game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Only when Caroline wasn't running the team.

Reaction Score
Bria's dribbling isn't the problem with the offense when CD leaves the game.

It most certain is part of the problem. Oops! Actually I am wrong. I forgot to include her excessive TO and her poor passes. But she can score very very and points tend to makeup for all else unless you lose.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Only when Caroline wasn't running the team.

Just like Geno said: Last year Maya was the 'glue' player (among many things), and this year it is clearly Caroline for this team. He has said 'glue' player in the past when referring to Kelly, but in this context he means it in the larger sense. Anyway, the more I think about it, the more impressive it is that Caroline is able to be *that* player after not playing an actual game for a year and a half. There are lots of things that can look one way in practice and then not translate at all to games - Caroline's importance does not appear to be one of them.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just like Geno said: Last year Maya was the 'glue' player (among many things), and this year it is clearly Caroline for this team. He has said 'glue' player in the past when referring to Kelly, but in this context he means it in the larger sense. Anyway, the more I think about it, the more impressive it is that Caroline is able to be *that* player after not playing an actual game for a year and a half. There are lots of things that can look one way in practice and then not translate at all to games - Caroline's importance does not appear to be one of them.
Even more than that remember this kid did not play her senior year of high school and half of her freshman year of college and all of her junior year. She has played a little less than a season and a half in four years and still commands the floor as she does. She is one special kid.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Even more than that remember this kid did not play her senior year of high school and half of her freshman year of college and all of her junior year. She has played a little less than a season and a half in four years and still commands the floor as she does. She is one special kid.
+1

Reaction Score
It most certain is part of the problem. Oops! Actually I am wrong. I forgot to include her excessive TO and her poor passes. But she can score very very and points tend to makeup for all else unless you lose.

yea, she only led the team in points and assists..terrible player.

Reaction Score
yea, she only led the team in points and assists..terrible player.

Not terrible, not complete either. She should be playing with fewer TOs and ill-conceived passes and run the plays without dribble, dribble, dribble. I was expecting more from her after what she showed last year. Bet you a Big Gulp Geno was not enamored with her overall game.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Just got home from Texas and went immediately to the TIVO to watch the game. I wasn't disappointed at all. Glad to see Doty back on the floor and playing her role as the team's leader. Loved absolutely loved the Heather today...she came to play, wasn't lost and was effective doing what she does well...rebounding and picking her shots, not forcing anything...even scored a 15 footer...not bad. Expectations on KML are running high...the kid had 7 pts and 7 rebounds in her opening debut...yeah she went 0 for 6 from three but at least three of them were in and out hitting two rims...all her shots were good shots in the flow of the game...she will more often be 4 for 6 than she will be 0 for 6. Tiffany was a quiet leader out there tonight...she was hustling taking the ball to the hole...sure she missed a few lay-ups but it was the first game. In fact I chalk up a lot of things to the fact that this was only the first game of the season and that we have a lot of young players being expected to do a lot of things...these players will mature together as the out of conference portion of the season progresses and I suspect they will be playing better by the start of the Big East Conference play and by March they are going to be a lot better.

Stefanie played well but she needs more touches on the inside and I suspect she is going to get those touches against tougher opponents as Geno will insist that the guards get the ball to Stef. She played solid...going 6 for 6 and grabbing 7 or 8 rebounds. Not her most agressive game but I'll take it as an season opener. Kiah...hey she is young, she scored and she rebounded...she will get better. Michala only got 5 minutes as did Lauren Engeln. I thought both Michala and Engeln both played well on limited minutes. Michala not remarkably well but she didn't make mistakes...Lauren on the other hand...really played pretty well...got a couple of rebounds a steal and scored. I like her ball handling, her passes were sharp...I hope to see Lauren get some more minutes as I think she can help this team. Bria Hartley...hey this kid can play, she made some mistakes today, threw the ball away a few times but didn't I mention that it was the first game of the season...not too worried about Bria. Bria is a big game player I think we are going to see some great games from Bria this season. She is also a streak shooter. We will see some games when Bria goes off and if it happens to be on the same night that KML, Tiff and Caroline are hitting threes it is going to be a nightmare for opponents. Kelly didn't have her best game but then again it was the season opener...we all know that Kelly is a consistent hard-nosed player...she will be fine. Brianna played like a freshman tonight but that's okay...I didn't see any examples of that blinding speed that I have heard so much about but that just means that better days are ahead...and we haven't seen what she is capable of yet...

All in all I am very excited about this season...there is much to learn about this team and this team has a lot to learn about themselves. With Stanford only a week away it doesn't give us too much time...but then again Stanford has lost both Poulen and Pedersen...so, I put them pretty much in the same boat as us having lost Maya. They have to worry about facing UConn at home in less than a week with a lot of questions and young players trying to find their identity as well. We as fans are really in for a treat because we are going to watch this team grow together and when they finally put it together we will have shared in the process. Next year is going to be off the charts ridiculous so we might as well buckle up and enjoy this year's intrique and uncertainty. No reason to get negative over this game, no reason to worry if we drop 2 or 3 games as I expect we probably will. Bottom line we are going to be tough to beat in March.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I thought the Huskies got a lot of good shots and open looks but due to first game jitters or rushing or inexperience or whatever, the shots just didn't go in. I thought the team was, in Geno's immortal words, in a hurry to get a 40 point lead.

I'm not overly worried about the offense. The coaches always place the most emphasis on defense early in the season so the offensive hiccups in the first few weeks are nothing new to long time fans.

Reaction Score
Just got home from Texas and went immediately to the TIVO to watch the game. I wasn't disappointed at all. Glad to see Doty back on the floor and playing her role as the team's leader. Loved absolutely loved the Heather today...she came to play, wasn't lost and was effective doing what she does well...rebounding and picking her shots, not forcing anything...even scored a 15 footer...not bad. Expectations on KML are running high...the kid had 7 pts and 7 rebounds in her opening debut...yeah she went 0 for 6 from three but at least three of them were in and out hitting two rims...all her shots were good shots in the flow of the game...she will more often be 4 for 6 than she will be 0 for 6. Tiffany was a quiet leader out there tonight...she was hustling taking the ball to the hole...sure she missed a few lay-ups but it was the first game. In fact I chalk up a lot of things to the fact that this was only the first game of the season and that we have a lot of young players being expected to do a lot of things...these players will mature together as the out of conference portion of the season progresses and I suspect they will be playing better by the start of the Big East Conference play and by March they are going to be a lot better.

Stefanie played well but she needs more touches on the inside and I suspect she is going to get those touches against tougher opponents as Geno will insist that the guards get the ball to Stef. She played solid...going 6 for 6 and grabbing 7 or 8 rebounds. Not her most agressive game but I'll take it as an season opener. Kiah...hey she is young, she scored and she rebounded...she will get better. Michala only got 5 minutes as did Lauren Engeln. I thought both Michala and Engeln both played well on limited minutes. Michala not remarkably well but she didn't make mistakes...Lauren on the other hand...really played pretty well...got a couple of rebounds a steal and scored. I like her ball handling, her passes were sharp...I hope to see Lauren get some more minutes as I think she can help this team. Bria Hartley...hey this kid can play, she made some mistakes today, threw the ball away a few times but didn't I mention that it was the first game of the season...not too worried about Bria. Bria is a big game player I think we are going to see some great games from Bria this season. She is also a streak shooter. We will see some games when Bria goes off and if it happens to be on the same night that KML, Tiff and Caroline are hitting threes it is going to be a nightmare for opponents. Kelly didn't have her best game but then again it was the season opener...we all know that Kelly is a consistent hard-nosed player...she will be fine. Brianna played like a freshman tonight but that's okay...I didn't see any examples of that blinding speed that I have heard so much about but that just means that better days are ahead...and we haven't seen what she is capable of yet...

All in all I am very excited about this season...there is much to learn about this team and this team has a lot to learn about themselves. With Stanford only a week away it doesn't give us too much time...but then again Stanford has lost both Poulen and Pedersen...so, I put them pretty much in the same boat as us having lost Maya. They have to worry about facing UConn at home in less than a week with a lot of questions and young players trying to find their identity as well. We as fans are really in for a treat because we are going to watch this team grow together and when they finally put it together we will have shared in the process. Next year is going to be off the charts ridiculous so we might as well buckle up and enjoy this year's intrique and uncertainty. No reason to get negative over this game, no reason to worry if we drop 2 or 3 games as I expect we probably will. Bottom line we are going to be tough to beat in March.
i appreciate your comments concerning lauren. unlike most people here, i think she is a player. she really needs to get more minutes. she is very, very confident handling the ball, which is amazing considering how little court time she has gotten. she is one of the few players on that team who actually has the ability to create a shot. she showed that often last year , even with her very limited playing time. and she's a pretty good shooter.she really deserves to get playing time somewhere, if not at uconn , then somewhere else. i guess you can tell that i like her style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom