28 Olympic team | The Boneyard

28 Olympic team

Reaction Score
Starters likely back
  • Ionescu
  • probably Griner, since always nice to have a 6’9 player in your back pocket if needed

- Taurasi
Thomas (36 in 2028), Loyd (34), Plum (33), Copper don’t seem like must haves

Replacements : Clark, Paige, Reese, ??

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Starters likely back
  • Ionescu
  • probably Griner, since always nice to have a 6’9 player in your back pocket if needed

- Taurasi
Thomas (36 in 2028), Loyd (34), Plum (33), Copper don’t seem like must haves

Replacements : Clark, Paige, Reese, ??
Boston, Clark and Reese seem like the 3 obvious picks but it is hard to predict 4 years from now though. Arike/Paige/Brink as well. Other factors like who is coaching and politics at hand will also be a deciding factor. In 2028 we’ll also have a ridiculously loaded WNBA rookie class including Juju, Hidalgo, Booker and Fulwiley. If they continue on their trajectory I could see 1-2 of those players being picked for the Olympics.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
  • From 2008 to 2012, the team carried over 6/12 players.
  • From 2012 to 2016, the team carried over 9/12 players.
  • From 2016 to 2021, the team carried over 6/12 players.
  • From 2021 to 2024 Olympics teams, the team carried over 7/12.
So over past four teams, the team carries over an average of 7 players from previous edition.

I think in 4 years it's very possible that Griner and (one would think?) DT have retired. A lot of this current roster will be in 32-36 range. If healthy, I think the only sure things are A. Wilson, B. Stewart, N. Collier, and J. Young.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Boston, Clark and Reese seem like the 3 obvious picks but it is hard to predict 4 years from now though. Arike/Paige/Brink as well. Other factors like who is coaching and politics at hand will also be a deciding factor. In 2028 we’ll also have a ridiculously loaded WNBA rookie class including Juju, Hidalgo, Booker and Fulwiley. If they continue on their trajectory I could see 1-2 of those players being picked for the Olympics.

Arike's comments about it being political and taking herself out of contention this time may close the door on her future.

I'm skeptical theyd have more than 5 players who are 26 or younger.

WBBTakeover

Manifesting EDD to the Aces in 2025
Reaction Score
Today's starters should all make it with little difficulty, though Chelsea is going to have to stay healthy and shoot the ball well to be considered a lock for 2028.

Sabrina will likely be back.

Aliyah and Caitlin should be next in line.

That leaves four spots up for grabs. A healthy Rhyne Howard, Paige Bueckers, and Cam Brink should be in the mix. Shakira Austin and Ariel Atkins could return for consideration. And who knows? Maybe the committee will be fair to Arike this time.

The much ballyhooed class of guards enters the WNBA in 2027. Maybe one or two of those guards will be under consideration.

That brings me to Angel Reese. While I do appreciate what she's done this season so far, I'm not sure if she'll be a must-have come 2028. There could be other posts (Kiki Iriafen, for example) in the mix by that time who may have more upside. And let's be honest. If Nneka Ogwumike (who was more talented offensively than Angel as a rookie) couldn't make a team, why should we believe that Angel will? Does Angel project to be a better player than Nneka?

Reaction Score
Paige and Clark will be in 2008 Olympic, wishfully thinking to add Strong.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Today's starters should all make it with little difficulty, though Chelsea is going to have to stay healthy and shoot the ball well to be considered a lock for 2028.

That leaves four spots up for grabs. A healthy Rhyne Howard, Paige Bueckers, and Cam Brink should be in the mix. Shakira Austin and Ariel Atkins could return for consideration. And who knows? Maybe the committee will be fair to Arike this time.

The much ballyhooed class of guards enters the WNBA in 2027. Maybe one or two of those guards will be under consideration.

That brings me to Angel Reese. While I do appreciate what she's done this season so far, I'm not sure if she'll be a must-have come 2028. There could be other posts (Kiki Iriafen, for example) in the mix by that time who may have more upside. And let's be honest. If Nneka Ogwumike (who was more talented offensively than Angel as a rookie) couldn't make a team, why should we believe that Angel will? Does Angel project to be a better player than Nneka?
Angel isn't the overall player Nneka is, but she's an animal on the glass and high energy defensive player. Finding a player like Angel who doesn't require a lot of shots and is willing to do the dirty work at a high level could be exactly what Team USA needs to compliment more polished offensive front-court players like Stewart/A'ja.

Angel doesn't project to be a better player than Nneka, but the level of competition among posts isn't going to be nearly as strong as it was in 2016/2020. In both 2016 and 2020 Nneka was passed over in favor of Tina Charles (2012 MVP), Sylvia Fowles (2017 MVP), Breanna Stewart (2018/2023 MVP), Brittney Griner and Elena Delle Donne (2015 and 2019 MVP). Not to mention Candace Parker (2008 and 2013 MVP) was left off in 2016, and A'ja Wilson (2020/2022 MVP) who also beat her out for the 2020 team). That's a LOT of MVP players plus Griner she was competing against.

Looking ahead at 2028, the post depth isn't nearly as deep. Only Wilson and Stewart remain as likely picks from potentially 5-6 post picks. Griner is an option but she'll be 2 months shy of 38 the next Olympic cycle, and Alyssa Thomas will also be 36, so neither is a lock. Looking at the other options you have Aliyah Boston as a likely future Olympian and maybe Dearica Hamby but I think Angel is right there in that grouping.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it depends a lot on who is coaching - I heard a report that AT wasn't going to camp until Cheryl called her and ask her to come - she felt that USA wasn't looking for her 'style of player.' And she probably would have been right with a different coach. Angel McC who Geno loved, might not have been given a chance by a different coach, etc.

I would not be surprised if Griner retires before 2028. Between Russian jail and aging she is slower than she used to be. Still great talent and you can't beat the size, but ...

As with this cycle, I think the front court is a more settled situation barring injuries - A'ja, Breanna, and Phee will be back and be the core. The guards/wings are more of a question to me as no one has 'demanded' they be consider a core player - you can make a case for each, but you can make a case against each, which is what has been true with the WC and Olympics since 2018 - they haven't found the next DT or Sue.

I actually think Clark and Paige could be the NEXT as that would be quite a back court.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
IMO 10 of 12 slots seem kinda obvious

Aja Wilson
Aliyah Boston
Breanna Stewart
Caitlin Clark
Jackie Young
Juju Watkins
Napheesa Collier
Paige Bueckers
Rhyne Howard
Sabrina Ionescu

Reaction Score
Angel isn't the overall player Nneka is, but she's an animal on the glass and high energy defensive player. Finding a player like Angel who doesn't require a lot of shots and is willing to do the dirty work at a high level could be exactly what Team USA needs to compliment more polished offensive front-court players like Stewart/A'ja.

Angel doesn't project to be a better player than Nneka, but the level of competition among posts isn't going to be nearly as strong as it was in 2016/2020. In both 2016 and 2020 Nneka was passed over in favor of Tina Charles (2012 MVP), Sylvia Fowles (2017 MVP), Breanna Stewart (2018/2023 MVP), Brittney Griner and Elena Delle Donne (2015 and 2019 MVP). Not to mention Candace Parker (2008 and 2013 MVP) was left off in 2016, and A'ja Wilson (2020/2022 MVP) who also beat her out for the 2020 team). That's a LOT of MVP players plus Griner she was competing against.

Looking ahead at 2028, the post depth isn't nearly as deep. Only Wilson and Stewart remain as likely picks from potentially 5-6 post picks. Griner is an option but she'll be 2 months shy of 38 the next Olympic cycle, and Alyssa Thomas will also be 36, so neither is a lock. Looking at the other options you have Aliyah Boston as a likely future Olympian and maybe Dearica Hamby but I think Angel is right there in that grouping.
Wouldn't Brink be a consideration? What about Betts, but as a possible long shot?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

Excellent points, and let's remember that Reese (and all the rookies) are performing without any real opportunity to work on their games for the pros after college--what you're getting from Angel is what she had to bring at LSU. By 2028, Reese will have 3 more full WNBA seasons (and off-seasons of player development) to work on her weaknesses. I agree she'll likely never have the offensive polish of Nneka, but she can become a much better finisher/threat, and when you add in the fact that she's one of the best rebounders in the world, it makes a great case.

Reaction Score
Arike's comments about it being political and taking herself out of contention this time may close the door on her future.

I'm skeptical theyd have more than 5 players who are 26 or younger.
Yep. I am right there with on Arike and her comments. Most of us, me included, agree with Arike and her comments about the process being political. We just thought that she could have voiced it in a differently. She was keeping it 100 I guess.

I agree. I can't see them keeping more than 5 players younger than 26, unless there some 6'8 players in that group with some serious skills and able to blend those skills with equal or greater talents.

Reaction Score

I will be surprised if Chelsea makes another run. As for Sabrina, I can see her making a few more runs. Aliyah and Caitlin, I agree. They will be next in line and join A'ja, Bre, Sabrina, and Phee, if she wants to make another run. I would love to see Shakira making that next step and joining the National team. There is a lot of potential players that could be in the running.

Reaction Score

Great comments about Angel. I can see her being on that next round of players, unless the committee goes in a different direction. Hopefully she continues to develop her game and keep that competitive fire. But if you watch Angel play against more physical teams/players, she shies away from those players/teams. But when she knows that she has the upper hand, she goes all out. She shows out. We just need her to keep that same energy against weaker players/teams and the more competitive players/teams. But I can see Angel being on the roster. She is a monster on the glass. Just reminds me of Yolanda Griffin, for rebounding. If Angel can get that offensive game like Yolanda. The W is in trouble!!

Reaction Score
Great comments about Angel. I can see her being on that next round of players, unless the committee goes in a different direction. Hopefully she continues to develop her game and keep that competitive fire. But if you watch Angel play against more physical teams/players, she shies away from those players/teams. But when she knows that she has the upper hand, she goes all out. She shows out. We just need her to keep that same energy against weaker players/teams and the more competitive players/teams. But I can see Angel being on the roster. She is a monster on the glass. Just reminds me of Yolanda Griffin, for rebounding. If Angel can get that offensive game like Yolanda. The W is in trouble!!
Playing for Coach Weatherspoon will be a huge benefit to her. Couldn't look for a better example to model your game after with respect to skillsets.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
  • From 2008 to 2012, the team carried over 6/12 players.
  • From 2012 to 2016, the team carried over 9/12 players.
  • From 2016 to 2021, the team carried over 6/12 players.
  • From 2021 to 2024 Olympics teams, the team carried over 7/12.
So over past four teams, the team carries over an average of 7 players from previous edition.

I think in 4 years it's very possible that Griner and (one would think?) DT have retired. A lot of this current roster will be in 32-36 range. If healthy, I think the only sure things are A. Wilson, B. Stewart, N. Collier, and J. Young.

I agree about A'ja, Stewie, Pheesa, and Jackie. I'd add Paige. Look for her at the WC in 2026.

Reaction Score
IMO 10 of 12 slots seem kinda obvious

Aja Wilson
Aliyah Boston
Breanna Stewart
Caitlin Clark
Jackie Young
Juju Watkins
Napheesa Collier
Paige Bueckers
Rhyne Howard
Sabrina Ionescu
Very good list. I might substitute Brink for Howard, but this could be very close.

Reaction Score
It is a terrible idea to be influenced by one game, so of course I will do so. :)

G: Plum Young Ionescu Copper Clark* Paige*
F: Aja Stewie Pheesa Boston* Hamby/Reese/Brink/Iriafen**

Reaction Score
Is there any college coach who has been very successful and has a history with USA basketball?

Mulkey Walz Brooks ?

I wonder if they go back to Staley?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom