26 turnovers last night, 48 in last two games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

26 turnovers last night, 48 in last two games

C

Chief00

I would start Immediately sitting guys on turnover #2. It’s become too acceptable, casual, and normalized. When they pressed, the few times we got it into the middle we quickly made them pay. Otherwise it was turnover city. What Chief noticed last game is our team doesn’t know how to run a break. Getting it into the middle, running the lanes, guys spotting up on their favorite 3 line spot, having the defense commit when you reach the foul line and taking what the defense gives you. Then converting on the “and 1” or 2 foul shots. Gilbert was 50% from the line and Bouknight 33%. Tyler’s our best shooter and it’s ridiculous how few shots or touches he gets. Some of that is due to him not working to get the ball but other times he’s opened and ignored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I would start Immediately sitting guys on turnover #2. It’s become too acceptable, casual, and normalized. When they pressed, the few times we got it into the middle we quickly made them pay. Otherwise it was turnover city. What Chief noticed last game is our team doesn’t know how to run a break. Getting it into the middle, running the lanes, guys spotting up on their favorite 3 line spot, having the defense commit when you reach the foul line and taking what the defense gives you. Then converting on the “and 1” or 2 foul shots. Gilbert was 50% from the line and Bouknight 33%. Tyler’s our best shooter and it’s ridiculous how few shots or touches he gets. Some of that is due to him not working to get the ball but other times he’s opened and ignored.
FYI. I would take it a step further. I am guessing they're also doing it in practice. After 2 in practice, sit em for a minute or 2. Just change the mindset.

Reaction Score
What Chief noticed last game is our team doesn’t know how to run a break.
I've noticed that too. It's been a problem for years now. When you have numbers on the break you better convert most of the time. I'd love to know what UConn's conversion rate is this year on fast breaks with at least a man advantage. I'm betting it's not great.

C

Chief00

I've noticed that too. It's been a problem for years now. When you have numbers on the break you better convert most of the time. I'd love to know what UConn's conversion rate is this year on fast breaks with at least a man advantage. I'm betting it's not great.
Quite frankly, Coach Calhoun used to say running was a mindset. Nothing made him happier than even running off a made basket. It’s a paradox, but the running mindset also requires patience, since at the end the defense committing should come before your last offensive decision. The old John Wooden line: “Be quick but don’t hurry” is relevant here. I think too often, because we have an advantage (either numbers or perceived talent) the ball handler feels he has to force the issue to the end, rather then only forcing it to the point the defense commits. After that it’s usually an easy play.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

When you’re trying to get the guards to get the ball to the interior and change the culture of taking a quick open look I feel taking them out quickly for turnovers iscounterproductive. I was happy with Hurley pulling the players quickly in the Indiana game second half when they took quick threes.

You pick the place you make your statement. We are a bad passing team that needs a lot of work.

C

Chief00

When you’re trying to get the guards to get the ball to the interior and change the culture of taking a quick open look I feel taking them out quickly for turnovers iscounterproductive. I was happy with Hurley pulling the players quickly in the Indiana game second half when they took quick threes.

You pick the place you make your statement. We are a bad passing team that needs a lot of work.

I think Danny is going to pick that place. He’s disgusted by it and the season has reached the tipping point. Jim Calhoun used to say, when criticized for profanity, in the newspaper - you have to say MFblank just to get some guys attention. The same goes for a quick hook to reinforce a point.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think Danny is going to pick that place. He’s disgusted by it and the season has reached the tipping point. Jim Calhoun used to say, when criticized for profanity, in the newspaper - you have to say MFblank just to get some guys attention. The same goes for a quick hook to reinforce a point.
He has to be disgusted by any bad play. But a good part of the turnover problem is attempting to pass to the interior. Is Hurley upset with players making those attempts?

Reaction Score
FYI. I would take it a step further. I am guessing they're also doing it in practice. After 2 in practice, sit em for a minute or 2. Just change the mindset.

Exactly. If Hurley isn't determined or capable of changing the mindset it's on him. Unlike hustle, foul shooting, being out of shape or selfish play this is simply a coach's problem to solve. Get it done because we aren't beating any decent teams playing like slop.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He has to be disgusted by any bad play. But a good part of the turnover problem is attempting to pass to the interior. Is Hurley upset with players making those attempts?
I was on the far side of the floor in the 1st half so I couldn't quite see what happened. But it looked like Vital went airborne without a clue and just stuck the ball in a St. Peter's guy's chest when he realized he had no option. Ya gotta sit after that one.

Reaction Score
Our guards are not very good at feeding the post. I've noticed that continually this year. Something that should be easily correctable.

Reaction Score
I think on the positive side- if we cut the turnovers down by about half - we will have a chance to make the dance. At the very least it will be an enjoyable season to watch for a change.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Our guards are not very good at feeding the post. I've noticed that continually this year. Something that should be easily correctable.
Agee. It’s my contention that Hurley is working on it a lot in practice. He declared they were going to start working on offense a couple of weeks ago.

The players making these errors should be getting better as the season progresses. We’ve wanted Hurley to correct the guards shooting. I feel criticizing players trying to make an adjustment we’ve been screaming about is unfair.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure about easily Hop. Funny thing is how noticeable it is throughout college hoops that kids can't pass to the interior. Probably because the guards run the game in AAU and even HS, no one learns. Somewhere between not making that pass enough and the big gus not getting position and keeping it. But it is tough to watch as you guys say!

Reaction Score

We haven't been able to run a break for years. Chief is just figuring that out?

C

Chief00

We haven't been able to run a break for years. Chief is just figuring that out?
LOL - Did you notice we had a coaching change. Danny won’t tolerant this for long.

C

Chief00

I was on the far side of the floor in the 1st half so I couldn't quite see what happened. But it looked like Vital went airborne without a clue and just stuck the ball in a St. Peter's guy's chest when he realized he had no option. Ya gotta sit after that one.
Indeed.

C

Chief00

Agee. It’s my contention that Hurley is working on it a lot in practice. He declared they were going to start working on offense a couple of weeks ago.

The players making these errors should be getting better as the season progresses. We’ve wanted Hurley to correct the guards shooting. I feel criticizing players trying to make an adjustment we’ve been screaming about is unfair.
I will agree up to the extent Danny focused on defense and figuring out offense was subpar and that would keep us in games - but now his focus is at least a respectable offense. We are doing really stupid stuff.

Reaction Score
LOL - Did you notice we had a coaching change. Danny won’t tolerant this for long.
He tolerated it all last year. And we still can't run a break.

Under Ollie we never knew to bring the ball to the middle and have the runners fill the lanes.

Calhoun's team's all knew how to do this and did it often and to great effect. We haven't seen it since Calhoun left. I would have more respect for chief if he he admitted the obvious.

C

Chief00

He tolerated it all last year. And we still can't run a break.

Under Ollie we never knew to bring the ball to the middle and have the runners fill the lanes.

Calhoun's team's all knew how to do this and did it often and to great effect. We haven't seen it since Calhoun left. I would have more respect for chief if he he admitted the obvious.

Coaches have priorities and Danny had a lot to do last year just changing the culture. So please don’t misunderstand, I agree they weren’t running breaks well last year and even this year his first priority is the half court offense now. But, he will address it. Akok is our first good outlet passer in awhile - so that’s a beginning. But, the guards aren’t even at the hash marks to get the pass. The middle of the court is too congested. Only after they get the ball should the guards angle toward the middle. Chief could go on but you get the point.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Exactly. If Hurley isn't determined or capable of changing the mindset it's on him.
Yeah, it's on the coach but this is a tough one. When the starting guards were frosh they practically specialized in the fruitless drive to the rim and they were encouraged to do it. That philosophy is baked in at this point and I doubt getting the quick hook will change that. But it will get them out of the game. I think Hurley was hoping Bouk would have made a stronger case for starting by now. Next couple of games are virtual friendlies. I'll be interested in how long he sits in the Cincy game. We're going to need him to win the games against the good teams.

Reaction Score
Hurley is cleaning up a lot of broken stuff. Be glad we look like a real basketball team instead of the joke show KO created.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom