22 years ago today | The Boneyard

22 years ago today

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Woke up my whole house with this one. I think it happened after midnight. Even with all the titles, this is my favorite highlight in UConn history.

The pandemonium after the game-winner, Bob Bender's reaction, Raftery and McDonough with the call. This has everything

Reaction Score
March Madness may the best and most fortunate team win!!

We've had our breaks for sure, but you need those no matter how talented/good you are. That Arizona shot a few years ago was a good looking shot, 'fortunately' the rim disagreed.

As for Rip I had anxiety and was basically preparing myself for the worse. I'll never forget that shot!

Anything can happen in March, and this year squad was an 'anything can happen' type of team. So sad.

Reaction Score
I was there and the thing that surprised me was that the play was a pick and roll with Jake getting the ball

Reaction Score
Joe D. was saying on WTIC radio this morning that many of his friends say that the end of this game was his best radio call. Then they joked that they can't even play the tape of it anymore on WTIC.

Reaction Score
My biggest regret as a UConn fan was going to bed without about 10 minutes (?) left in this game. Maybe it was earlier than that, early 2nd half. I was exhausted and under the weather and thought we had the game in the bag. I think we were up 8-10 points and relatively in control of the game. For shame.

Reaction Score
My wife walked in after getting off of 2nd shift just as Washington took the lead on their last possession and she found me swearing up a storm. Then she sat down and watched the final crazy 12 seconds.

Reaction Score
That was insane! That Washington team had some big boys that year, they were known for that, no? One of the biggest front courts that year, intimidating really. I was always amazed UConn got off 3 shots in the closing seconds. I stayed up for this game even though I was just 13 back then in 8th grade I think. That was a Thursday, if I recall, and I stayed up way past my bedtime as, I believe, this game went past midnight. In fact I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as my mom giving up on trying to get me to go to bed at a decent hour, lol.

Last edited:

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
This is my first real memory as a UConn Fan. Was 8 years old, begging my mom to stay up for it (my dad was already in my corner, longtime fan himself). I will never, ever forget the sullen silence in our house between Rip’s first shot and his 2nd (in my mind I remember that half second feeling like an eternity), which then turned into the loudest, most raucous celebrating I had ever seen in my house. I view this game as the moment I became a diehard.

Needless to say, the next year there was absolutely no question that I would be staying up to watch every UConn game, getting to celebrate our first championship right alongside my Pops.

Man, I freaking love UConn Basketball.

Reaction Score
Think one of their big guys was McCullough or something. Anyway he walked right into Rips first shot, basically walked through him good news is kept him away from the rebound which KEA I believe kept alive.

I can watch and watch and watch and...

Reaction Score
then lost to NC in the regional final in Greensboro after NC played in Hartford in the first 2 rounds, crazy

Reaction Score
I remember watching that with my family. We jumped up and down like Calhoun. None of us have a great vertical. Still, we jumped higher after the Tate George shot. Maybe, it was because we were younger.

Reaction Score
I think I've said this here before but I used to stay at the W in Westwood a lot when I was in LA for work - for a time, one of the UW players from that squad used to work there. Every time I would show up from the airport in UCONN gear he would just shake his head at me. Said every time I showed up he would have flashbacks :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
W

Wasn’t Brandon Roy in that team?? Damn unc in the E8.
No Roy was on the 2006 Washington team. That game between the two Huskies was played in DC and won by UConn in OT. That included the 3 pointer by Anderson to send the game into OT. Another great game with Washington as the loser. Unfortunately UConn played George Mason 2 days later. I was in DC for the Washington game .

Reaction Score
I was there. Will never forget it. After we lost to NC the next game I remember all of the UNC fans saying to take down Duke next year bc it was going to be “our year.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom