#22 UConn v. Cincinnati (Fri. 4/5 @ 1p @ J.O.C., Sat. 4/6 @ 2p @ DDP on CW20 & Sun. 4/7 @ 12p @ DDP) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

#22 UConn v. Cincinnati (Fri. 4/5 @ 1p @ J.O.C., Sat. 4/6 @ 2p @ DDP on CW20 & Sun. 4/7 @ 12p @ DDP)

Reaction Score
The over aggressive approach at the plate in College Baseball is just absurd. I really wish we could change our philosophy one of these years. Unfortunately we seem to get even more aggressive when we are losing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
you could fly to denver in the time this game has taken

Reaction Score
Thankfully ballgame over. 10-4

We still have series remaining against Memphis, ECU, Wichita, USF and Tulane (and @ Sam Houston State) ahead of us. Still time to erase this stain.

All games in the book for the weekend:

008.png

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We play Bryant and Northeastern midweek next week. Play like this and both will stroke us. A 4-1 week next week would partially make up for this disaster though.

Reaction Score
Amore: UConn baseball finishes a rough week with loss to Cincinnati at Dunkin’ Donuts Park

>>“I felt like the toughness was in the other dugout,” Penders said after UConn lost the series finale to Cincinnati, 10-4, Sunday before an announced 2,263 at Dunkin’ Donuuts Park. “And that’s very rare for UConn baseball, when the tougher team is in the other dugout, and that’s something that’s very hard to stomach, something that’s going to keep me awake.”<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m clearly not a big college baseball fan but...
Penders put on a bunt with 2 out and a man on third with his #5 hitter at plate and later put on a bunt with a good hitter up with first and second and none out before the defense collapsed.

If he called out my ‘toughness’ which is a ridiculous concept in baseball I’d probably show up in his office and challenge him to a fight.

Bunting first and second with none out - how bad are the other coaches?

Reaction Score
Amore: UConn baseball finishes a rough week with loss to Cincinnati at Dunkin’ Donuts Park

>>“I felt like the toughness was in the other dugout,” Penders said after UConn lost the series finale to Cincinnati, 10-4, Sunday before an announced 2,263 at Dunkin’ Donuuts Park. “And that’s very rare for UConn baseball, when the tougher team is in the other dugout, and that’s something that’s very hard to stomach, something that’s going to keep me awake.”<<

The tougher coach was also in the other dugout today. Penders needs to take some accountability. He made some bad decisions in this one.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Not sure if Fedko was instructed to bunt or made that poor decision on his own. That was an awful decision.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UGLY
I couldn't believe what I was seeing with the offense
The last few years UConn hitters have been impatient but today was an epic case
I hate when teams can't take a ranking and run with it and UConn baseball is so famous for doing so
This is a HUGE week for them
A few games against NE opponents and a good chance to regroup or fall flat on their face
Which team will show up?
Your guess is as good as mine, the team that support its pitching with tight D and timely, patient at bats or the one we saw today
I should have stayed home and work in the yard
Oh Well

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The tougher coach was also in the other dugout today. Penders needs to take some accountability. He made some bad decisions in this one.
He's been a lot better this year
Every coach has their moments throughout the season
Penders was not the reason for the loss

Reaction Score
I’m clearly not a big college baseball fan but...
Penders put on a bunt with 2 out and a man on third with his #5 hitter at plate and later put on a bunt with a good hitter up with first and second and none out before the defense collapsed.

If he called out my ‘toughness’ which is a ridiculous concept in baseball I’d probably show up in his office and challenge him to a fight.

Bunting first and second with none out - how bad are the other coaches?
Almost every college coach bunts all the time and I hate it. It's an awful strategy

Reaction Score

Penders has never been bashful accepting responsibility for his actions in the past. I remember multiple times whether it was sending a runner, making a change on the mound or when he thought he hadn’t prepared them properly for the task @ hand. He seems to know what buttons to push when needed. He’s always been one who heaps praise and criticism equally. Have to see how the team responds on Tuesday.

Reaction Score
He's been a lot better this year
Every coach has their moments throughout the season
Penders was not the reason for the loss

Of course he wasn't the reason for the loss and he's a great coach, but he made some poor decisions and/or didn't have his team on the same page. Not sure if that's because he wasn't clear or they weren't listening. Either way tho, that somewhat falls on management.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course he wasn't the reason for the loss and he's a great coach, but he made some poor decisions and/or didn't have his team on the same page. Not sure if that's because he wasn't clear or they weren't listening. Either way tho, that somewhat falls on management.

I half follow the team, read these threads... it’s baseball - generally you put the guys on the field and they do what they do.

What are you supposed to do about a team who is throwing the ball around like it’s little league.

You there, Strawberry - hit a home run.

Reaction Score
I half follow the team, read these threads... it’s baseball - generally you put the guys on the field and they do what they do.

What are you supposed to do about a team who is throwing the ball around like it’s little league.

You there, Strawberry - hit a home run.

I mean, if any of my players was playing hero ball vs a pitcher struggling to throw strikes, I'd threaten to take their ass outta the starting line-up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I mean, if any of my players was playing hero ball vs a pitcher struggling to throw strikes, I'd threaten to take their ass outta the starting line-up.

I dunno that seems shortsighted. Put in a worse player because someone swung at a ball?

Maybe I’m missing something and college baseball isn’t like regular baseball - but it seems to me you put the best players in the lineup and they go play.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
On paper, UConn is deep so we can generally afford to do that. In practice, some of our guys are slumping so it isn't worth subbing a struggling player in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom