21-22 Opponents | Page 2 | The Boneyard

21-22 Opponents

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I don't relish the idea of playing a team in a tournament if they are already scheduled. These are high profile teams and the luster and excitement of playing Oregon or SC would be less the second around. The even scarier scenario is there is a good chance we would be playing SC in the NCAA tournament, so could you imagine playing them 3 times in one year, and not one of those games was at home?
I agree with the basic premise, but have no second thoughts on our fans being even more excited with even more luster the second or even the third time around. Having followed many of your post I believe you too would be just as or more excited also. Maybe a little more apprehensive, which adds more excitement.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Surprisingly this (UCONN playing TN 2X in regular season) has only happen twice that I can find 99-00 and 00-01. It may seen like a lot more because those two teams were always meeting up in the NCAA tournament and it was usually in the championship game 4X. I also was not able to find where UCONN played any other non-conference team twice during the same regular season besides TN. I also did some quick checking among current or former prominent WBB teams (Duke, ND, Stanford, SC) and could not find where any of those team had played the same opponent 2X during the same regular season. If this is not an NCAA rule it sure is a common practice.

My own very quick research is consistent with what that BY found. The NCAA last tweaked scheduling in April 2020 right about the time the world was coming to grips with COVID. I remember this because one of the new rules that was put in place is that a team CANNOT attend the same tournament even in two consecutive seasons. A team can also only attend two tournament events per season.
The rule about multiple seasons in the same tournament isn't new, at least it always applied to the previously called "exempt" tourneys such as the destination tourneys in the Caribbean / Mexico and also the pre-season WNIT. I don't know if it applied to something in the USA like Las Vegas. There also was always a limit on the number of (exempt) tournaments a season. Those were tourneys where, among other things, you could play 3 games and have them only count as "2". I do remember a relatively recent change in how tourneys are counted (I don't remember the details) but the principles noted are not new.

I do believe you can schedule a team twice, but why would you? I agree with the other poster who noted that this may most often happen as a result of tournaments.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine if Ezi had come to Uconn, rather then turn pro at home? This would have been her senior year.

You want to "really" imagine?????

1-- Imagine if Elena Delle Donne came to UCONN and stayed.
2-- Imagine if De'Janae Boykin came to UCONN and stayed. In that Miss Sate game just needed maybe one more rebound- one more inside play. Just a bit more inside athleticism to get that game.
3-- Imagine if Azura Stevens stayed in 2018-2019?
4-- Imagine if Charli Collier came to UCONN and stayed.

5***** Now imagine all this and the wonderful articles we'd have been reading for 10+ years how bad UCONN is for WCBB.
And all this stuff about how the rest of WCBB "caught up to UCONN" would only be relvant maybe the past year or 2-- maybe. While they have caught up now due to players being allowed to transfer and stay an additional year meaning more teams have more good, experienced players- but excluding this recent circumstance --
the rest of WCBB got very, very lucky due to the above.

Reaction Score
Surprisingly this (UCONN playing TN 2X in regular season) has only happen twice that I can find 99-00 and 00-01. It may seen like a lot more because those two teams were always meeting up in the NCAA tournament and it was usually in the championship game 4X. I also was not able to find where UCONN played any other non-conference team twice during the same regular season besides TN. I also did some quick checking among current or former prominent WBB teams (Duke, ND, Stanford, SC) and could not find where any of those team had played the same opponent 2X during the same regular season. If this is not an NCAA rule it sure is a common practice.

My own very quick research is consistent with what that BY found. The NCAA last tweaked scheduling in April 2020 right about the time the world was coming to grips with COVID. I remember this because one of the new rules that was put in place is that a team CANNOT attend the same tournament even in two consecutive seasons. A team can also only attend two tournament events per season.
Thanks for your efforts. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who can get curious over a small tidbit of information and turn it into a full lunch menu. Good stuff.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I believe there is an NCAA rule or practice that you cannot play the same non-conference opponent more than once in a regular season and you cannot play a same conference school in these tournament settings.
I don't think the bold part is true. UConn and Tennessee played twice for a couple regular seasons. Back in the day, for quite a few years Tennessee used to play Louisiana Tech twice each regular season.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I agree with the basic premise, but have no second thoughts on our fans being even more excited with even more luster the second or even the third time around. Having followed many of your post I believe you too would be just as or more excited also. Maybe a little more apprehensive, which adds more excitement.
You know what, you are right. After last year I'm not going to be concerned about potential losses, but the excitement will definitely be there for those games. Games against great teams, especially with our conference schedule, will add to the enjoyment of this season. The more, the better, so lets bring them on.

Reaction Score
You want to "really" imagine?????

1-- Imagine if Elena Delle Donne came to UCONN and stayed.
2-- Imagine if De'Janae Boykin came to UCONN and stayed. In that Miss Sate game just needed maybe one more rebound- one more inside play. Just a bit more inside athleticism to get that game.
3-- Imagine if Azura Stevens stayed in 2018-2019?
4-- Imagine if Charli Collier came to UCONN and stayed.

5***** Now imagine all this and the wonderful articles we'd have been reading for 10+ years how bad UCONN is for WCBB.
And all this stuff about how the rest of WCBB "caught up to UCONN" would only be relvant maybe the past year or 2-- maybe. While they have caught up now due to players being allowed to transfer and stay an additional year meaning more teams have more good, experienced players- but excluding this recent circumstance --
the rest of WCBB got very, very lucky due to the above.
...what you can't imagine if Megan Walker stayed for her senior year?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
L
How depressing
Look at it this way then, 74 days before the first Prognosticator's Predictions begin!! :rolleyes: Of course maybe Geno will get another game scheduled prior to the 14th, then it's less.:):)

Reaction Score
In Creme's Way-To-Early rankings from April, 3 of these teams were in the top 10 (SC Lou Ore) and 3 others in the top 25 (Tenn GaT ND), with UCLA just missing.
Also a chance for another top 10 in Atlantis Game 3 (SC/Ore) and another top 25 in Atlantis Game 2 (USF).

Arkansas & Minnesota only non-conference teams not in Creme's 25 (pending Atlantis draw).

Unfortunately no conference teams in his top 25. :(

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With the 87 OT topics that have proliferated on the board, I can't find the last discussion of UConn opponents this year (+ dates where known already).

Heres what Ive pieced together:
  • 20 conference games
  • Arkansas (11/14)
  • @Atlantis (11/20-22)
    • Minnesota
    • USF/Syracuse
    • SoCar/Oregon/Oklahoma/Buffalo
  • @ GaTech (12/9)
  • Louisville (12/19) @ Mohegan
  • @South Carolina (TBD)
  • @Oregon (TBD)
  • Notre Dame (TBD)
  • Tenn (TBD)
  • other?
Hope the TBD's can get scheduled in late Jan / Feb so we get some late season competition with teams that have jelled.

Reaction Score
I'm almost ready to put all 20 of the Big East games in the "W" column. Plus the Big east tournament games.
Although Marquette should be able to hold my interest for 2-3 quarters.
BUT... let us not count our chickens until they hatch.
We got jumped by the Razorbacks because scoring 87 points a game is fine until the other team scores 90.
Took some real heroics to pull out the SC game. At home.
Our Huskies were going down the tubes against Baylor in the NCAA until Dee Dee Richards went down. (Still feel bad for her)
Of course, catching a break like that doesn't mean anything if you can't capitalize on it, which the young UCONN team managed to do.
And,of course, after we showed all that moxie against the Lady Bears, taking care of the 5th seeded Wildcats was just a stepping stone to the Final Game, where we are flat out forbidden to lose.
I still can't bring myself to re-watch that AZ game, even though I've done so with every other game in 2020-2021. Who needs the tsouris?
My point is, with the amount of talent and level of play in the CURRENT WBB scene, nothing should ever be taken for granted.
No doubt we have the talent to go all the way this coming season. Between everybody a year older, stronger, wiser and , hopefully, hungrier...not to mention Azzi, Dorka, Amari, Caroline,
We SHOULD open at # 1 or 2 (Stanford, the defending champs are not going to just go away) but there's still the target on every Huskie's back. The lack of a NC since 2016 doesn't necessarily reflect a loss of "The Right Stuff" in Stoors, but MAYBE the fact that everybody else is getting better at this business.
If we are going to bring the NCAA trophy back to Connecticut, Geno, CD, Jamelle, Morgan and the whole roster are going to have to push themselves and each other from the opening tip off until the final buzzer in April. Nobody should be considered a "cupcake" until we walk away with the win.
Sorry, didn't mean to preach.

Our Huskies were going down the tubes against Baylor in the NCAA until Dee Dee Richards went down. (Still feel bad for her)

True but everyone, including the media failed to mention that UConn played the entire game without their starting point guard.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Heres what Ive pieced together:
  • 20 conference games
  • Arkansas (11/14)
  • @Atlantis (11/20-22)
    • Minnesota
    • USF/Syracuse
  • Notre Dame (12/5)
  • @ GaTech (12/9)
  • vs UCLA (12/11, 1pm) @ NewarkNJ
  • vs Louisville (12/19, 330) @ Mohegan
  • @South Carolina (TBD)
  • @Oregon (TBD)
  • Tenn (TBD)

13 home games -- lowest in a while?
5 "neutral"
13 road

no B12 opponents
Geno is not messing around. He's taking off the kid gloves. Woowee!! I would love to be in practice this season

Reaction Score
RANK THE OPPONENTS
  1. @ So Carolina
  2. @ Oregon
  3. Atlantis Game 3
  4. Louisville (@ Mohegan)
  5. Tenn
  6. ND
  7. @ Marquette
  8. @ Ga Tech
  9. UCLA (@ Newark)
  10. @ DePaul

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tenn schedule released today and game at UConn will be Sunday Feb 6.

Will be afternoon game probably on Fox. Gampel or XL? Probably XL. Weekend afternoon games at XL typically draw great crowds.

Reaction Score
  • Exhibition: Fort Hays St (D2, KS)
  • 20 conference games
  • Arkansas (11/14)
  • @Atlantis (11/20-22)
    • Minnesota
    • USF/Syracuse
  • Notre Dame (12/5)
  • @ GaTech (12/9)
  • vs UCLA (12/11, 1pm) @ NewarkNJ
  • vs Louisville (12/19, 330) @ Mohegan
  • @ Oregon (1/17)
  • Tenn (2/6)
  • @South Carolina (TBD)

13 home games -- fewest in a while?
5 "neutral"
13 road

no B12 opponents

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Regarding Big 12 teams: I hope Geno is dialing the Iowa coach for home/home in the 2 seasons after this coming one.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Regarding Big 12 teams: I hope Geno is dialing the Iowa coach for home/home in the 2 seasons after this coming one.
But Iowa is in the Big Ten.
Do you mean Iowa State?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom