21-22 Opponents | The Boneyard

21-22 Opponents

Reaction Score
With the 87 OT topics that have proliferated on the board, I can't find the last discussion of UConn opponents this year (+ dates where known already).

Heres what Ive pieced together:
  • 20 conference games
  • Arkansas (11/14)
  • @Atlantis (11/20-22)
    • Minnesota
    • USF/Syracuse
    • SoCar/Oregon/Oklahoma/Buffalo
  • @ GaTech (12/9)
  • Louisville (12/19) @ Mohegan
  • @South Carolina (TBD)
  • @Oregon (TBD)
  • Notre Dame (TBD)
  • Tenn (TBD)
  • other?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the 87 OT topics that have proliferated on the board, I can't find the last discussion of UConn opponents this year (+ dates where known already).

• 20 conference games
  • Arkansas (11/14)
  • @Atlantis (11/20-22)
    • Minnesota
    • USF/Syracuse
  • @ GaTech (12/9)
  • @South Carolina (TBD)
  • @Oregon (TBD)
  • Notre Dame (TBD)
  • Tenn (TBD)
  • other?
Great job. I had all these listed too. Don't know of any others.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

• 20 conference games
  • Arkansas (11/14)
  • @Atlantis (11/20-22)
    • Minnesota
    • USF/Syracuse
  • @ GaTech (12/9)
  • @South Carolina (TBD)
  • @Oregon (TBD)
  • Notre Dame (TBD)
  • Tenn (TBD)
  • other?
Great post, I believe that Geno is trying to get a game at home before the Arkansas game.

Reaction Score

• 20 conference games
  • Arkansas (11/14)
  • @Atlantis (11/20-22)
    • Minnesota
    • USF/Syracuse
  • @ GaTech (12/9)
  • @South Carolina (TBD)
  • @Oregon (TBD)
  • Notre Dame (TBD)
  • Tenn (TBD)
  • other?

Ahh.......... so you're assuming UConn makes it past Minnesota :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I wonder what the chances of last year's Baylor game from the regular season that never happened ever gets re-scheduled. I know they're a team in transition with a new coach and have lost players to graduation and transfers but would still rather Uconn play them than a cupcake either this season or sometime in the near future.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I wonder what the chances of last year's Baylor game from the regular season that never happened ever gets re-scheduled. I know they're a team in transition with a new coach and have lost players to graduation and transfers but would still rather Uconn play them than a cupcake either this season or sometime in the near future.
I would rather play Kim and LSU instead.

Reaction Score
I would rather play Kim and LSU instead.
Agree from a competitive standpoint but wonder if there was some kind of agreement to make the Baylor game up. Plus I'm not sure if Kim will be an option anytime soon as she may want to wait until her deck is fully stacked before she plays us and that may take a couple of years.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
With or without Baylor a very very good schedule.

Chatter will be interesting as the season progresses. November can't come soon enough.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe all teams are guaranteed 3 games, win or lose.
Curiosity question: Since UCONN is scheduled to play Oregon later in the year wouldn't the matchups for the Atlantis tournament have to adjusted so as to avoid UCONN having to face Oregon in that tournament? I believe there is an NCAA rule or practice that you cannot play the same non-conference opponent more than once in a regular season and you cannot play a same conference school in these tournament settings. For example the 2018 Paradise Jam UCONN had to avoid playing USF or did things just work out that way?

Reaction Score
So would Baylor.
This year they would be a cupcake
I'm almost ready to put all 20 of the Big East games in the "W" column. Plus the Big east tournament games.
Although Marquette should be able to hold my interest for 2-3 quarters.
BUT... let us not count our chickens until they hatch.
We got jumped by the Razorbacks because scoring 87 points a game is fine until the other team scores 90.
Took some real heroics to pull out the SC game. At home.
Our Huskies were going down the tubes against Baylor in the NCAA until Dee Dee Richards went down. (Still feel bad for her)
Of course, catching a break like that doesn't mean anything if you can't capitalize on it, which the young UCONN team managed to do.
And,of course, after we showed all that moxie against the Lady Bears, taking care of the 5th seeded Wildcats was just a stepping stone to the Final Game, where we are flat out forbidden to lose.
I still can't bring myself to re-watch that AZ game, even though I've done so with every other game in 2020-2021. Who needs the tsouris?
My point is, with the amount of talent and level of play in the CURRENT WBB scene, nothing should ever be taken for granted.
No doubt we have the talent to go all the way this coming season. Between everybody a year older, stronger, wiser and , hopefully, hungrier...not to mention Azzi, Dorka, Amari, Caroline,
We SHOULD open at # 1 or 2 (Stanford, the defending champs are not going to just go away) but there's still the target on every Huskie's back. The lack of a NC since 2016 doesn't necessarily reflect a loss of "The Right Stuff" in Stoors, but MAYBE the fact that everybody else is getting better at this business.
If we are going to bring the NCAA trophy back to Connecticut, Geno, CD, Jamelle, Morgan and the whole roster are going to have to push themselves and each other from the opening tip off until the final buzzer in April. Nobody should be considered a "cupcake" until we walk away with the win.
Sorry, didn't mean to preach.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
There was a discussion about the possibility of UConn playing the same team twice in one year several months ago.
The initial take was that it would be against the rules. After a while someone posted that it was indeed OK to do that....with the NCAA allowing it in this case. That seemed to be validated by a Boneyarder who gave the impression that he/she had researched the topic.

So...I 'think' the event is now regarded as quarters/semis/finals....and we face the team who advances or not...as in the NCAA tourney....no matter who they are. I hope that is the case...I do not mind throwing our newcomers into the deep end of the pool early...the better to swim in April.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not aware of any such rule. UConn used to play Tenn 2x a year.
Surprisingly this (UCONN playing TN 2X in regular season) has only happen twice that I can find 99-00 and 00-01. It may seen like a lot more because those two teams were always meeting up in the NCAA tournament and it was usually in the championship game 4X. I also was not able to find where UCONN played any other non-conference team twice during the same regular season besides TN. I also did some quick checking among current or former prominent WBB teams (Duke, ND, Stanford, SC) and could not find where any of those team had played the same opponent 2X during the same regular season. If this is not an NCAA rule it sure is a common practice.
There was a discussion about the possibility of UConn playing the same team twice in one year several months ago.
The initial take was that it would be against the rules. After a while someone posted that it was indeed OK to do that....with the NCAA allowing it in this case. That seemed to be validated by a Boneyarder who gave the impression that he/she had researched the topic.

So...I 'think' the event is now regarded as quarters/semis/finals....and we face the team who advances or not...as in the NCAA tourney....no matter who they are. I hope that is the case...I do not mind throwing our newcomers into the deep end of the pool early...the better to swim in April.
My own very quick research is consistent with what that BY found. The NCAA last tweaked scheduling in April 2020 right about the time the world was coming to grips with COVID. I remember this because one of the new rules that was put in place is that a team CANNOT attend the same tournament even in two consecutive seasons. A team can also only attend two tournament events per season.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that the rule is a team can't schedule another non conference team twice in the same season. A team could play a team twice in a season if they happen to meet in a tournament where there's two separate brackets and they meet in the the final game where the bracket winners play for the championship. UConn could end up playing either SC or Oregon for the championship or God forbid in the 3rd place game if they happen to lose their 2nd game. I don't see them losing to Minnesota in their first game. :D

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I don't relish the idea of playing a team in a tournament if they are already scheduled. These are high profile teams and the luster and excitement of playing Oregon or SC would be less the second around. The even scarier scenario is there is a good chance we would be playing SC in the NCAA tournament, so could you imagine playing them 3 times in one year, and not one of those games was at home?

Reaction Score
I don't relish the idea of playing a team in a tournament if they are already scheduled. These are high profile teams and the luster and excitement of playing Oregon or SC would be less the second around. The even scarier scenario is there is a good chance we would be playing SC in the NCAA tournament, so could you imagine playing them 3 times in one year, and not one of those games was at home?
The luster and excitement could be there in the rematch for Uconn (and its fans) if they (gulp) lose the first time around and are hungry for revenge. Especially if it's one of those coulda, shoulda, woulda games that it was felt should have been won. On the flip side if SC loses and feels the same way (should have won) and Uconn (and its fans) feel like the win was dismissed as a fluke (similar to commentators saying last year "SC should have won that game") and have to go into hostile SC (assuming fans will be allowed) and prove otherwise.
If it's 1-1 after two regular season games and they meet again in the tournament the rubber match would be highly anticipated. They would have a really good scouting reports on each other along with a lot of "bad blood" as familiarity breeds contempt.

Reaction Score
I'm almost ready to put all 20 of the Big East games in the "W" column. Plus the Big east tournament games.
Although Marquette should be able to hold my interest for 2-3 quarters.
BUT... let us not count our chickens until they hatch.
We got jumped by the Razorbacks because scoring 87 points a game is fine until the other team scores 90.
Took some real heroics to pull out the SC game. At home.
Our Huskies were going down the tubes against Baylor in the NCAA until Dee Dee Richards went down. (Still feel bad for her)
Of course, catching a break like that doesn't mean anything if you can't capitalize on it, which the young UCONN team managed to do.
And,of course, after we showed all that moxie against the Lady Bears, taking care of the 5th seeded Wildcats was just a stepping stone to the Final Game, where we are flat out forbidden to lose.
I still can't bring myself to re-watch that AZ game, even though I've done so with every other game in 2020-2021. Who needs the tsouris?
My point is, with the amount of talent and level of play in the CURRENT WBB scene, nothing should ever be taken for granted.
No doubt we have the talent to go all the way this coming season. Between everybody a year older, stronger, wiser and , hopefully, hungrier...not to mention Azzi, Dorka, Amari, Caroline,
We SHOULD open at # 1 or 2 (Stanford, the defending champs are not going to just go away) but there's still the target on every Huskie's back. The lack of a NC since 2016 doesn't necessarily reflect a loss of "The Right Stuff" in Stoors, but MAYBE the fact that everybody else is getting better at this business.
If we are going to bring the NCAA trophy back to Connecticut, Geno, CD, Jamelle, Morgan and the whole roster are going to have to push themselves and each other from the opening tip off until the final buzzer in April. Nobody should be considered a "cupcake" until we walk away with the win.
Sorry, didn't mean to preach.
Can you imagine if Ezi had come to Uconn, rather then turn pro at home? This would have been her senior year.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine if Ezi had come to Uconn, rather then turn pro at home? This would have been her senior year.
I don't think that there was ever a chance that Ezi would have been a four year player at UConn.

She wanted to be a pro as soon as possible. If she had come to UConn it would only have been
for a year or two until she was eligible to join the W. I think it was for the best, both for her and
for UConn, that she turned pro in Australia.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Stanford will get on the schedule.. Not sure why it was stopped, but having Geno vs Tara matchups would be good theater, and both teams look to be Top 5 for the foreseeable future - so good basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom