2025 Recruiting: Tounde Yessoufou | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Tounde Yessoufou

Reaction Score
Looks like he’ll beat somebody up on defense and run the heck out of the floor, and drive it down your throat

His opposite number will hate him

Don’t know if we have any former wrestler’s on the boneyard, but he’s like a guy who is a relentless wrestler, you want to say “leave me alone” if you have to wrestle him

Oh, I really like him

Reaction Score

Brick. House.

No idea what his 'position' is, but he looks like a tough matchup for most players. Intrigued by this one. Anyone have shooting numbers?

Screenshot_20240715_204609_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
Vs Fusion today. As always EYBL messed up some stats. I’m not quite sure how they even got that # of FT from their own box score. But anyways, here’s my thoughts. As always, I’m not sugarcoating anything to be nice if a kid’s family visits the ‘Yard. Relatively unfiltered thoughts. Keep in mind, this is just one game and 4 or 5 highlights of information… VERY preliminary scout.

27 Minutes

29 PTS
8 REB (2 offensive)
1 AST

2 TO
8 STL
3 BLK

10/16 2FG
1/2 3FG
6/9 FT

Overall: Freak athlete. Defensive savant. Offensively limited. Size will limit him. He’s definitely about 6’5, which is going to make even the 4 for us a challenge considering his skills on offense. At first I was thinking he’d be a ¾ tweener, but I’m not sure that’s the right word. He has some 3, 4, and 5 in him, but no real offensive identity. He’s the kind of player in football recruiting they’d just say “athlete.” He’s going to impact a team positively, but it’s unclear what actual role he would fit in the offense we’ve run these past two years. Defensively, he’s going to kill some people.

Offense: Very limited offensively, especially in the half-court. He’s getting by right now by being bigger and stronger than his peers. Not a shooter at this stage. Free throw percentage is promising with an overall of something like 75% through EYBL, but his form is odd. Combs his hair with the release a bit and it’s a bit flat. Seems to like working from the mid-post posting up, driving, or mid-range J which doesn’t really jive with our offensive identity at present. Handles are not great for a 3–okay if he’s playing the 4. Can handle a little in the full-court, but not half court outside of a line drive with a lot of space. No left hand at the rim or dribbling. Seems comfortable swinging on the perimeter vs pressure, but not a good or creative passer in the half-court. I do think he has some decent footwork on the drive, and that can be somewhere he grows.

Defense: I am having trouble thinking of a single negative thing to say about his individual and team defense skill. Yeah, he had a lapse here or there but I don’t recall scouting such a complete defender in a long time, frankly. He will easily, easily guard the 2-4 and even the 1 or 5 in a pinch. He seriously looks that versatile. Long, superb athlete with unbelievable strength for his age. At times it looks like he could guard two opponents at once. On another play, he read a lob from outside the 3-point line and sprinted and leapt to break it up. Hustle plays galore. At one point he had back-to-back steals for and-1s. Great rebounding instincts and technique overall. Finds a body and hits it, but also uses his instincts to just get the ball too.

Reaction Score
So it sounds like he'd be great at the college level but the NBA would want to see more offense out of him. Maybe he'd stick around for 3 years. Could be one of the top Dogs this program has ever had, but what do we sacrifice from the 3 pt line.

Reaction Score
Take any player whose eval starts with "Freak athlete. Defensive savant."

Fill in the blanks after that.

Is he more limited offensively than Andre Jackson was? Is his athleticism anywhere near Jacksons? Answers are no and "next neighborhood", so maybe it's a wash. He's pretty good.

Love at first sight for me, just like Ahmad Nowell.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I've seen Tounde play a number of times in his HS career. Dazzling athlete, capable of being a great defender. Shot selection could use work, but when he's on, he's REALLY ON!.

Reason I say "Capable of being a great defender" is because he's not always fully engaged. But when he IS, watch out!

And, of course, there's this highlight from his first game as a freshman...

Doesn’t anyone want to talk about the sports reporters name? Luckily he changed his first and middle name.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t anyone want to talk about the sports reporters name? Luckily he changed his first and middle name.
Like the "Chocolate Thunder" reference, man knows his hoops

Reaction Score
Excellent write up … thanks. I love guys like this but my only question is do we not already have that role occupied by Abraham?

Reaction Score
Excellent write up … thanks. I love guys like this but my only question is do we not already have that role occupied by Abraham?
It is getting exceedingly more difficult to picture what a roster is going to look like in a year, much less 2. Abraham a 3, yes? Does he stay a 3, or is there potential as a 2? Looks like it in his summer video to me. Opens up a 3 for Tounde, who also may have potential as a 2, but probably not as much as Abraham.

Question for the staff becomes, is this a guy I want in my program no matter what, not does he unbalance the roster.

While I don't make quite as much as Dan Hurley, and he hasn't called to ask my opinion, I'm offering and recruiting Tounde like it's my job.

Reaction Score
It is getting exceedingly more difficult to picture what a roster is going to look like in a year, much less 2. Abraham a 3, yes? Does he stay a 3, or is there potential as a 2? Looks like it in his summer video to me. Opens up a 3 for Tounde, who also may have potential as a 2, but probably not as much as Abraham.

Question for the staff becomes, is this a guy I want in my program no matter what, not does he unbalance the roster.

While I don't make quite as much as Dan Hurley, and he hasn't called to ask my opinion, I'm offering and recruiting Tounde like it's my job.
Abraham is a pure PF and he could be the only guy on the roster capable of playing PF in '25 if Stew goes pro after this season, so bringing in a PF should be a priority but i'd obviously prefer ament or bundalo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Abraham is a pure PF and he could very likely be the only guy capable of playing PF on the roster in '25 if Stew goes pro after this season.

i'd obviously prefer ament or bundalo but if not i'd bring Tounde as a stretch 4. he doesnt stretch the floor by shooting but by attacking from the perimeter.
Abraham is not a pure PF

Reaction Score
Abraham is not a pure PF
he's a PF/stretch 4 he's not a wing and we dont need him to play on the wing. if he's gonna get any PT at all this year it'll be as a backup to AK and Stew

Last edited:
Reaction Score
he's a PF/stretch 4 he's not a wing and we dont need him to play on the wing. if he's gonna get any PT at all this year it'll be as a backup to AK and Stew
PF for us is a wing. Abraham has wing skills and versatility.

Reaction Score
PF for us is a wing. Abraham has wing skills and versatility.
ok well i'm labeling these guys based on the position theyd play for us, not in a vacuum. of course i'd like our players 1-4 to shoot/pass/dribble. i dont think abraham and tounde have the offensive skills to play here as SFs but would be fine as PFs where the relative lack of guard skills isnt as big of a liability

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there really much of a difference between the 3 and 4 in Hurley's motion offense? Now on defense, assuming the opponent play some prototypical threes and fours, you need a one of them who's strong enough to defend in the post and the other quick enough to defend a player from the perimeter, or even better both capable of defending both.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think people need to start thinking more about positionless basketball when it comes to UConn. As dominant as they were last year, imagine if we had a five that could knock down threes at a solid clip. That team would have been virtually unguardable, but I digress.

I think Abraham (6-7 205) and Stewart (6-7 215) with the ability to put the ball on the floor and score at all 3 levels, are as close to perfect 3-4 combos you can get. I'm sure Stewart has been adding muscle and Abraham seems to have a nice frame where he should be able to put on some more bulk. You can even put Karaban (6-8 225), who probably arrived at UConn with similar measurements, in this category. (Note I'm leaving out the freak long, athletic and talented ballers like AJ Dybantsa who could probably play just about any position on the floor.)

I think it's by design that we're not seeing UConn recruiting any big physical single-dimensional 4s, or 5s, but instead offering a lot of multi-positional type of players (1-2s, 3-4s and 4-5s). Looking at the list of recruits UConn has offered, most look like players who can either score on multiple levels and/or defend multiple positions. Meleek Thomas has the size and game to play the 1 or 2. Now depending on what guards are on the floor at the same time (example, Newton & Castle) once the motion offense is initiated, what each guard is doing is often the same exact thing as they cycle through the motion. I'd love to see someone break down Hurley's motion offensive sequence by sequence. My guess is that other than what the five is doing, the other four positions are executing the same set of actions as they sequence through the motion, consisting of setting single or multiple screen, or cycling through the paint with occasional sudden backcuts, screen-&-rolls or flair-outs for pick-&-pop Js, etc. Frankly, I was surprised there weren't more turnovers where the handler passed the ball out of bounds while their teammate back cut to the basket. The chemistry last season was absolutely amazing.

Bottom line, you don't see a much of one specific guy bringing the ball up the court where the fours and fives are constantly trying to establish an inside position or setting screens for the twos and threes. The handler in Hurley's system is often one of two to three players where at some point during the latter part of the shot clock, they get the ball to one of better handlers to drive the gaps, pull up for a middy, attack the rim, dish it inside or out for a 3, toss the alley-oop, to name the more likely options.

Frankly I think it's a waste of time trying to pigeonhole a recruit into a specific singular position in light of UConn's positionless offense.

Reaction Score
Is there really much of a difference between the 3 and 4 in Hurley's motion offense? Now on defense, assuming the opponent play some prototypical threes and fours, you need a one of them who's strong enough to defend in the post and the other quick enough to defend a player from the perimeter, or even better both capable of defending both.
In todays game 2s and 3s are more similar than 3s and 4s primarily due to defensive matchups. You need your 4 to be able to rebound and block shots which is not something you necessarily need from a 3..

You also need to maximize the number of guys on the floor that can shoot/dribble/pass. I’d much rather play a big 2 at the 3 spot than a tweener 4. Abraham would be more skilled than a high percentage of opposing 4s but not opposing 3s eg Stew, Mcneeley, Castle, AJ.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tounde can defend 3 or 4, might struggle with the long 4's, but he is strong as heck and looks to have quick hands, saw alot of steals on his tapes. My question is can he develop to be able to handle the 2 from a ball handling/distribution and defensive quickness perspective?

Reaction Score
So funny how often we're now the "top left" school on these 5* kids list. I think back to Hamidou Diallo and chuckle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcs1228

Top Bottom