2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas Watch | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NIL is a reality
From the Tweet of July 27, 2024:
I have been told Arkansas boosters are supplying Calipari with around 8M in NIL money and if the word on the street about Acuff reaching 7 figures for his commitment is true, I would venture to say Calipari would give Meleek the same. Will UConn be able to match that? I don’t know. But on the contrary I am not sure if the Acuff commitment has affected him considering Arkansas but I doubt so if he is still planning to visit. Will Cal come off that type of money when he has a 5* guard and will need it for some other recruits/portal additions? I’m not sure.

Is that $8 million annually? I highly doubt UConn has that kind of dough to spend on NIL. I hate this kind of NIL stuff. It's just totally the antithesis of what NIL was supposed to be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if there's a Moneyball aspect to how this is playing out. Like, has Hurley prioritized going a little bigger on relatively modest NIL money for high-impact transfers (Spencer, Newton, Mahaney) and returnees (Clingan, Karaban) over astronomical NIL money for high-profile recruits?

If so, hard to argue with the results so far.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Where was Castle drafted? What was his recruiting ranking? Did he develop to outperform his recruiting ranking?
I just don’t see how we can both negate the success Cal players has because they’re highly recruited one and dones but then want to get credit for Castle and Liam if they do the same thing.

Reaction Score
If Castle blows up will we say we were responsible for developing him? Same with Liam?
wait, wait. Do not compare our coaching staff with anyone else, particularly not Cal. Whaley. Adama. Clingan. Newton. Cam. Andre. Hawkins. These guys ALL got significantly better under this coaching staff. And this year, Samson and AK will be added to this list. So please, comparing us with Cal will trigger ---- out of me.

Reaction Score
I wonder if there's a Moneyball aspect to how this is playing out. Like, has Hurley prioritized going a little bigger on relatively modest NIL money for high-impact transfers (Spencer, Newton, Mahaney) and returnees (Clingan, Karaban) over astronomical NIL money for high-profile recruits?

Would be wild to be in the “draft” room as the staff prioritizes. I’d imagine NIL is one of the reasons they moved off Dysbantsa. Why put all eggs in one basket for a OAD? So if you can get two of Mullins and Greer for less than 1 Thomas, spread your odds of success, maybe you do. This was the old Belichek way.

Cal likely just spent a bundle on Acuff, who was a top 5 kid and from everything I’ve heard, an on-ball kid focused on the NBA. A perfect fit. He seems to be sticking to his age old approach with the Tyson $$. In Arkansas they’ll get hyped around it given a lower bar, at UK they started seeing through it as a program who wants to actually win.

Reaction Score
I just don’t see how we can both negate the success Cal players has because they’re highly recruited one and dones but then want to get credit for Castle and Liam if they do the same thing.
You didn’t follow my point. My point was that guys like Castle, Clingan, and Hawkins came in at a certain recruiting ranking or level. They left at much higher levels. They outperformed where their recruiting rankings were, meaning they improved while they were here. It doesn’t mean a lot when a top 5 McDonald’s All American goes in the lottery. Weren’t they kind of expected to with that ranking? Did they actually get better?

awy

Reaction Score
From a moneyball perspective you would look at two types of players. the smart athletes with skill upside, and system fit advantage creators with the right mental makeup.

This year they are targeting more HS stars and guys with more exposure, because the program clout is elite. but these guys tend to be expensive, and more of a fit for non-development focused bag schools as well. So it seems like they are in a lot of elite recruitments but closing the deal gets a bit more difficult. It's important to identify what exactly the star scorer brings that generates value for the program, and what attributes can be replaced.

The smart athlete with skill upside is an obvious fit and they've targeted this type a lot. These guys benefit greatly from UConn's development, more than they would get from any other program. With a year of practice, they can play in the system and be versatile positionless two way players. the only snag is the shooting may not be guaranteed, but shooting is something that can be developed. The other benefit is them being less exposed (lower usage) on offense, and thus are not as expensive. The skill development bit is a roll of the dice, but upside is big.

The more ambitious and high upside play is elite advantage creators with passing capability. Elite high school scorers come in many different forms. Some scale better than others, but more importantly, some are more universally valuable to all kinds of programs. This is typically the ball dominant iso bucket getter. This type of player is valuable to the bag schools, so they will be more expensive.

Advantage creation to generate scoring, and mental makeup is to scale it in a team context. The mental makeup is seen as a prerequisite by this program, stuff like processing speed, awareness and willingness to pass to the best shot etc. The core problem is figuring out the most cost effective form of advantage creation for the system. Personally I think it's a combination of elite shooting and the athleticism to attack open lanes, individual iso creation i.e. beating a stationary, in stance defender is not as important. This skill is highly valued by the NBA and is self sufficient, so it tends to be on the ball dominant star types, pretty expensive. Ditching this and maybe also "tough shotmaking" can open choices up a lot.

Shooting is a special skill that is about cashing in the advantage created, and having more of it can synergize and scale. Just in terms of cashing in the advantage created, It can be obtained from the portal with smart offball movement shooters. poverty moneyball is basically some uber advantage creators who can't shoot too well surrounded by elite shooters who can't score. This is not good enough right now though. UConn is pretty magical at generating cuts to the rim for guys who can't shoot and utilizing vertical gravity, but ideally you still want to maximize shooting. A bunch of dangerous shooters who can also attack open lanes running around waiting to pounce with their high feel is the ideal form.

iso scoring is still important as a floor raising skillset, especially in close and late situations. but you can avoid this situation by blowing people out.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I think he’s said as much already - they are going to be competitive in the market in the ways NIL was intended, but they’re not getting into arms races with 5*s.

Reaction Score
You didn’t follow my point. My point was that guys like Castle, Clingan, and Hawkins came in at a certain recruiting ranking or level. They left at much higher levels. They outperformed where their recruiting rankings were, meaning they improved while they were here. It doesn’t mean a lot when a top 5 McDonald’s All American goes in the lottery. Weren’t they kind of expected to with that ranking? Did they actually get better?
From the most recent draft Steph Castle was ranked #10 in the class and was drafted 4th, that's a success. Rob Dillingham was ranked #21 and was drafted 8th and Reed Sheppard was ranked #79 and went 3rd. You'd have to really twist yourself in knots to give Dan Hurley credit for his lottery pick and not give Cal credit for his

Reaction Score
From the most recent draft Steph Castle was ranked #10 in the class and was drafted 4th, that's a success. Rob Dillingham was ranked #21 and was drafted 8th and Reed Sheppard was ranked #79 and went 3rd. You'd have to really twist yourself in knots to give Dan Hurley credit for his lottery pick and not give Cal credit for his
Now do Justin Edwards and the Harrison twins.

Reaction Score
I'm too lazy to do a statistical analysis but all of the UConn players drafted in the last three years have outperformed their rankings in HS or the portal.

That is definitely not true of Cal.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If you were a top player what’s more important to you, where you get drafted relative to your recruiting ranking or how you actually perform in the NBA?

Reaction Score
you can also say "now do Bouknight". From the eyes of a recruit, it's hard to argue, Cal's guys get to the NBA, they get 2nd and 3rd contracts, they make All Star and All NBA games. His issues werenever tied to recruiting, it's been in game "coaching".
Huh? Bad example here. Bouk was a top 60ish recruit and was drafted 11th overall after 2 years at UConn. Harrison twins and Edwards were 5 star players who went undrafted.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
you can also say "now do Bouknight". From the eyes of a recruit, it's hard to argue, Cal's guys get to the NBA, they get 2nd and 3rd contracts, they make All Star and All NBA games. His issues werenever tied to recruiting, it's been in game "coaching".
Yeah it’s hard to argue the success of Cal’s players in the NBA. His actual X’s and O’s coaching is not good though (you can be a great developer and bad with X’s and O’s and vice versa).

Recruits just have to weigh which is more important. Saying a recruit is making a bad life choice going to play for him is just not true though.

Reaction Score
Now do Justin Edwards and the Harrison twins.
That is irrelevant to the claim you made, "It doesn’t mean a lot when a top 5 McDonald’s All American goes in the lottery". He has guys underperform every year and has guys overperform every year. This year he had some of both

Reaction Score
That is irrelevant to the claim you made, "It doesn’t mean a lot when a top 5 McDonald’s All American goes in the lottery". He has guys underperform every year and has guys overperform every year. This year he had some of both
He’s had some successes and some failures that is true. Do you think Hurley has done more with less in a manner of speaking?

Reaction Score
If you were a top player what’s more important to you, where you get drafted relative to your recruiting ranking or how you actually perform in the NBA?
Improving would matter to me. Hurley and his staff from Bouknight on have had guys improve while they were here.

Reaction Score
Huh? Bad example here. Bouk was a top 60ish recruit and was drafted 11th overall after 2 years at UConn. Harrison twins and Edwards were 5 star players who went undrafted.

where you are as a recruit does not necessarily correlate to where you are drafted, guys overperform/underperform, the Non US players entering the draft push the US/Ranked HS players down. It's a silly exercise.

Also as we've seen the consensus tends to be w/r/t the 10- 10-20 players and then the rest of the top 100 is more or less interchangeable. We've heard from Dan and Coach Calhoun, they themselves pay little attention to rankings because they have their own evaluation processes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm too lazy to do a statistical analysis but all of the UConn players drafted in the last three years have outperformed their rankings in HS or the portal.

That is definitely not true of Cal.
Listen I’m too harsh on Cal because I think he’s a cheater and a scumbag. I definitely do not feel a need to wave pompoms for him. He’s had some big successes and some big failures if you go back and trace the last 10-11 years of recruiting and performance. Hurley doesn’t have a long resume here yet but he’s had 4 guys go in the lottery, above their incoming rankings, and in most cases, well above their incoming rankings. Bouknight was largely just outside the top 50 in the rankings. I’d anticipate that trend to continue particularly with Liam and Stewart next spring. And guys like Sanogo and Andre are showing that what they were taught here was valuable and plays at the next level.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Improving would matter to me. Hurley and his staff from Bouknight on have had guys improve while they were here.
So you’re saying you would point to Bouknight on what your future would look like from playing at UConn?

(My bad back to Meleek after this post)

Reaction Score

We Still needed castle to win it all last year tho, against Bama in particular. And Liam might be our most talented player this year. So we still need high profile recruits but only those willing to take the “Hurley discount.” Seeming like Meleek is not one of those guys but hopefully Mullins is, and Ament and Cenac…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom