2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 20 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Coach Reeve decided, as many coaches in all sports do, simply to shorten her bench in the playoffs so that she has fewer players to give reps to in practice, or to coordinate on offense and defense. The Liberty aren't going very deep in their bench either, nor did the Sun in the semifinal series, where Olivia barely got minutes despite strong play through most of the season.

I am rather surprised that Diamond Miller has barely played lately, and not at all in any playoff series, despite being the #2 overall draft pick a year ago and having had an excellent rookie season. But I think that also is a case of Coach Reeves shortening the bench for the playoffs.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The coach appears to have decided that going small is the answer, a big mistake in my opinion. I believe but did not check that Dorka was the main reserve when the Lyns beat NY 3 out of 4 including the Commissioners cup. Since then, the Lynx have been very, very fortunate to win 1 game against the Liberty's big team. Also, I believe Diamond Miller is healthy but never plays. Both Dorka and Diamond made the all-rookie team last season.
Re Dorka’s playing time, she averaged about 20 minutes a game till Hines-Allen joined the team. Her minutes went down somewhat, and she’s played very little since she missed a few games with an injury.

Reaction Score
Re Dorka’s playing time, she averaged about 20 minutes a game till Hines-Allen joined the team. Her minutes went down somewhat, and she’s played very little since she missed a few games with an injury.
And the injury may limit her mobility, and against Stewie and JJ, that would be a major liability.

Reaction Score

Sly Smile GIF by Desus & Mero

Going with something different to celebrate these numbers. Getting 1.4M viewers while competing against highly entertaining baseball play off games, hockey and NBA pre-season. Gosh darn it, this is awesome :cool:

Reaction Score
I think Coach Reeve decided, as many coaches in all sports do, simply to shorten her bench in the playoffs so that she has fewer players to give reps to in practice, or to coordinate on offense and defense. The Liberty aren't going very deep in their bench either, nor did the Sun in the semifinal series, where Olivia barely got minutes despite strong play through most of the season.

I am rather surprised that Diamond Miller has barely played lately, and not at all in any playoff series, despite being the #2 overall draft pick a year ago and having had an excellent rookie season. But I think that also is a case of Coach Reeves shortening the bench for the playoffs.
Diamond Miller has a lot of potential, but she needs to refine her shot. She has to become a consistent threat from 3, as she’s a wing in the W. The bread and butter of the Lynx this season has been floor spacing. They’ve surrounded Collier with sharp shooters to have an inside out attack, which gives Collier the room to operate inside 1v1. This allows collier to maximize her shiftiness to overcome her undersize quality against bigger defenders.

Beyond coming back from injury, Miller would disrupt the spacing. She’s more of a slasher who can occasionally hit from 3. I’d also suspect Reeve is weary of her tendency to force shots. Especially in the WNBA finals, you go to your bench for someone you trust to spark energy. Not someone you are fearful will make poor choices and force the action.

I hope this season motivates Miller to come back a more polished player. The league needs its young stars to grow and flourish.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This game will largely be remembered for Sabrina’s shot, but without Stewart, that shot isn’t possible. She carried them on her back offensively to get back within striking distance. And was an absolute menace on the defensive end. She did just enough to put her teammates in a position to make shots to close out the game. An all time performance by Stewart, and an all time shot by Ionescu.

And reportedly, Stewie and Marta received death threats before the game!

Reaction Score
Diamond Miller has a lot of potential, but she needs to refine her shot. She has to become a consistent threat from 3, as she’s a wing in the W. The bread and butter of the Lynx this season has been floor spacing. They’ve surrounded Collier with sharp shooters to have an inside out attack, which gives Collier the room to operate inside 1v1. This allows collier to maximize her shiftiness to overcome her undersize quality against bigger defenders.

Beyond coming back from injury, Miller would disrupt the spacing. She’s more of a slasher who can occasionally hit from 3. I’d also suspect Reeve is weary of her tendency to force shots. Especially in the WNBA finals, you go to your bench for someone you trust to spark energy. Not someone you are fearful will make poor choices and force the action.

I hope this season motivates Miller to come back a more polished player. The league needs its young stars to grow and flourish.
Diamond showed a lot of potential last season. Hopefully whatever happened this off season and during the season, Diamond flips the switch and becomes what we all know she can become.

Reaction Score
Diamond showed a lot of potential last season. Hopefully whatever happened this off season and during the season, Diamond flips the switch and becomes what we all know she can become.
Diamond would be a great candidate to go to the Valkyrie. She has a very high ceiling and I think once the lightbulb comes on, she could make a great second or third scoring option. Going to the Valkyrie may allow her to play more minutes and grow at a faster pace by "trial through fire". I wonder if she will be one of the six reserves for the Lynx. If she isn't, I would have her name circled and underlined if I were in the Valkyrie management.

Reaction Score
Diamond would be a great candidate to go to the Valkyrie. She has a very high ceiling and I think once the lightbulb comes on, she could make a great second or third scoring option. Going to the Valkyrie may allow her to play more minutes and grow at a faster pace by "trial through fire". I wonder if she will be one of the six reserves for the Lynx. If she isn't, I would have her name circled and underlined if I were in the Valkyrie management.
I can see Diamond playing out West for the Valkyrie squad. I can also see Diamond staying here in Minnesota and developing that potential with the Lynx. I agree. She does have a very high ceiling and I hope that she finds that fuel for her competitive fire. Like I have said before that Golden State squad should field a pretty competitive team and they could make some noise this season and be a huge problem next year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There were hardly any lead changes in Games 1-3. There were a bunch tonight. First truly back and forth game of the series. Game 5 here we come. Kind of amazing the Liberty were even in this game w/ Stewie and Ionescu shooting a combined 10-36, but JJ and Fiebich were both really good.

Reaction Score
They didn’t call the foul but the Lynx got the ball
Brondello making that challenge was an interesting decision. Technically she was right but I don't think she was in a position to see when Stewart got Collier on the arm. They lucked out though because the WNBA rules differ from the NBA, where Stewart would have gotten tagged with the foul.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
WOW! Three out of four games decided in the final seconds ot OT. With the Lynx last inbounds play, I told my wife that Carleton would be the key. She didn’t hit the basket but did score the points.

Juhasz gave them key minutes. Not much in the box score, but she was disruptive on defense and played smart on offense. With Smith obviously not 100%, the Lynx really needed Dorka.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Man what a game 4. Incredible balance by Minnesota, Courtney Williams was electric tonight. No idea how NY stayed in it so close with a clunker from Stewie and a mediocre game from Ionescu. The best NY players have been Fiebich and Jones for much of the series, they carried NY tonight. Game 5 should be a fun one. I think NY pulls it off but Minnesota will get a huge benefit of Alanna Smith getting an extra recovery day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom