2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
Just saw that Tarris Reed Jr is taking an official this weekend. Sophomore 6-10 forward averaged 9pts 7 rebs. Haven't poked through the rest of his numbers.
I caught a few Michigan games this year, he’s actually pretty good. Very high motor and high energy plays hard regardless of score. A little foul prone at times but that’s fixable.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
They are clearly recruiting over Samson. Reed Jr. is being recruited as a starting center and that should come as a surprise to no one.

Samson will stay and be a candidate for 6th-man of the year if he keeps his improving. We need a starting big.
I also think the staff like to have a different look with Reed versus Samson. They have had that with Adama and DC and DC and Samson. Does Reed have any of the skills Adama has?

Reaction Score
I caught a few Michigan games this year, he’s actually pretty good. Very high motor and high energy plays hard regardless of score. A little foul prone at times but that’s fixable.
Been saying this for two days. In person, Tarris is far more impressive than just looking at his stats. He has the chance to be extremly good in this system.

Reaction Score
Some strange posts on this situation. Think the staff sees Reed as a nice complement to Samson in where Reed is stronger & has more girth to deal with the stronger & more physical post players. Gives the staff more fouls to play with & more options. Reed is better than most of you think & does have some good upside & potential that hasn’t been tapped into yet. Watched him for the last two years & in particular on offense he is pretty skilled & has good size & length. Should be happy if he picks UConn.

Reaction Score
If Hurley likes him, and offers him, fine with me.

Last year for 2024 recruiting, we focused on 3 players, and got none of them.

In theory, would be nice to see if Cliff or Ballo want to visit, but the old saying is still true:

"A bird in the hand is worth more than a bird in the bush."

Reaction Score
This kid may well be a talent but I don't believe we can get a clear read on him from film and stats from his play for Michigan. Most of his games were against Big10 schools. It isn't like he was facing top level competition.
Well, it wasn't against high school talent but solid farm talent.

Reaction Score
Well actually I meant what I said. I think the staff is recruiting players with complementary skill sets to compete for big minutes with Samson and not a guy like Hunter Dickinson that you would pencil in for 30 minutes a night.
Dickenson got a million in nil. The Arizona and rutgers kids are likely looking for similar. Huskies need going after guys that want to win first and get some money. UConn nil seems undisclosed. For a point of reference, supreme cook was returning to Fairfield last year until Georgetown drop 125k. Imagine if they didn’t have him? May have lost a game to DePaul

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Some strange posts on this situation. Think the staff sees Reed as a nice complement to Samson in where Reed is stronger & has more girth to deal with the stronger & more physical post players. Gives the staff more fouls to play with & more options. Reed is better than most of you think & does have some good upside & potential that hasn’t been tapped into yet. Watched him for the last two years & in particular on offense he is pretty skilled & has good size & length. Should be happy if he picks UConn.
This. Wish I wrote it. Plus this kid will have a similar appreciation as Cam in the differences of programs.

Reaction Score
Watched Indiana vs. Michigan, first Big Ten game of the year for Michigan. Was just the first game that came up when I went to look, figured it was early enough in the season that the team hadn't quit on the coach yet. I didn't check his stats beforehand to go in fresh.

-Reed played solid D on Kel'el Ware early in the game, but Ware made like 3 really tough shots over him (makes me appreciate Clingan even more).
-Reed traveled twice and then didn't catch an easy roll pass in the first 15 minutes or so. Those were the main times he was passed the ball in the half court in first half.
Michigan-Indiana-Reed-can-t-catch.gif

-He had an offensive rebound putback that it seemed like he just threw up that went in.
-He had a great stretch where he deflected 2 entry passes and then shortly after stripped a driver and then leaked out for an alley oop dunk.
Michigan-Indiana-Reed-double-deflection.gif

-He got benched down the stretch in favor of Tschetter, but then coach put him back in for offense/defense (the defense part) in the last minute. In a 1-point game with under 10 seconds to go, he knocked the ball out of bounds on a rebound that pretty much sealed the loss.

So maybe I caught one of his bad ones. Gonna watch a later in the season game vs. Wisconsin that looks like Michigan won.

Reaction Score
Reed and Michigan vs. Wisconsin later in the year. (No idea what's going on with gifs, they load fine for me in the text before posting).

-Opening possession, late contesting a switch on an OOB play.
-Forces a travel in 1v1 post D.
-Steal and dunk on terrible Wisconsin pass.
-Incredibly lazy PnR defense just waving at the ball instead of moving his feet. Roll guy can't catch a simple pass and it falls to Reed, credited with one of the least deserved steals I've seen.
- Blocks a shot in 1v1 post D.
-Directing guys around on offense positioning is a good sign for his BBIQ.
-Stunts at a guy on the perimeter, ball is passed to his man and he's a bit out of position due to the help and gets driven by and scored on.
-Clogging the lane a bit (not great spatial positioning), but gets a dump off pass for a dunk anyways because Wisconsin D is bad. A very involved first 4 minutes start to the game for him.
-Dribbles out of a double team, then attacks his man again, drives at him and draws a foul. Pretty agile and a load. Bricks first FT, makes 2nd.
-Disciplined post D as guy drives in towards the basket, doesn't really go for any fakes, the guy kicks out.
-Forces a jump ball, absolutely horrid call they call him for a reach in foul.
-They miss him open on a roll, but he settles into good post position. They get him the ball, he draws a double once again dribbles out of it and then attacks off the dribble and draws a foul.
Michigan-Wisconsin-Reed-dribble-out-of-double-and-then-attacks.gif

-Reach in foul on a drive. Seemed a bit tired, long shift.
-Offensive rebound activity leads to jump ball.
-To start 2nd half, they get him the ball at the top of the arc and he finds a cutter. First time I've seen the passing people have talked about. Looked a lot like a Clingan DHO read.
-Few minutes later, passes out of the post for an open double team (both clips below).
Michigan-Wisconsin-Reed-passing.gif

-Running jump hook, not especially close.
-The best highlight from his highlight reel, the catch, face, stutter step, drive by the guy and jam.
-Pick and roll alley-oop draws a foul.
-Weakside block on drive help.
-Poor box out leads to ball oob off him.
-Travels on a post up.
-Good screen frees shooter, Reed oreb. They reach in on him. He misses both FTs.
-Reed blocks a shot, quick 2nd jump.

Overall impressions:
  • More involved in February for the team vs. December.
  • Agile for his size. Long. Body type and movement reminds me of Eric Dixon plus a few inches of height. He's not "below the rim" but not vertically explosive either.
  • Very good 1v1 post defender. Hard to move, mostly stays down. Physical without fouling. Closes space when offensive player goes to make a move. Same way we teach it.
  • Decent weakside rim protector, but not a guy who is shutting off the paint to the opposition.
  • Can post up or face up, but travels too often when posted up.
  • Flashes of passing, but mostly flashes at this point.
  • Hands are still a question mark at times for an elite prospect. Gets a lot of fingertips on balls without securing on rebounds/blocks.
  • Has a plan against double teams. Decent BBIQ and good communicator on the court.

Reaction Score
Yep your right. People on this site make me laugh sometimes with some of their comments. You must recruit the best available if you want to stay on top. I think Samson knows he is not big enough right now to be our starter. He wants to win another championship.
Some players Hurley lets leave the program. With Samson, he re recruited hime to stay. He's said repeatedly that he doesnt recruit over players. Now that isnt to say that a player cant earn a starter's spot over a player thats been in the program later. None of our transfer in players were told they would be starters. Thats why we are interested in a guy like Reed . Not guaranteed to be a starter at all, especially since Samson has 3 years of knowing Hurley's system. I think we'll see a different offensive system this year, in which Samson and all our big wings will thrive. We'll abandon the Sanogo, Clingan post up system. We'll play even more like the Warriors. No centers, super fast, super switchable.

Reaction Score
Poor man's Adama Sanogo?
Needs the magic of our staff to bring out the best?
Do rankings mean anything?

2022----247 Composite Rankings for centers:
1. Dereck Lively
2. Kyle Filipowski
3. Kel'el Ware
4. Adem Bona
5. Yohan Traore
6. Vincent Iwuchukwu
7. Ernest Udeh Jr.
8. Henri Veesaar
9. Ugonna Onyenso
10. Tarris Reid
11. Isaiah Miranda
12. Baba Miller
13. Jalen Washington
14. Donovan Clingan
15. Felix Okpara

Trust the staff to see what they believe is important to the success of the team...........

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if Samson doesn't start and Reed comes off the bench at least at the start of the season. I'm sure Samson is going to gain some much needed muscles in the offseason and I'm sure Hurley has told him if he does what he needs to do he will start. Reed can start in his Sr. year. Of course I'm sure they will interchanged the 2 depending on matchup advantage too.
If I were Samson (and obviously I’m nothing like him nor do I know him beyond watching him and he sounds like a great team player) I would want to know I’m going to start the first game next year. If I get outplayed and lose my place, fair enough but I need to start. He’s a Senior next year, had very high expectations coming in and I’m sure he’s heard from other coaches and interlopers that Hurley isn’t using him right, he can make more NIL and promises of starter minutes etc etc etc. It hasn’t worked so far but after waiting my turn behind Sanogo and a freshman in Clingan jumps over me, after 2 rings it’s time to see if I have a future playing.

Reaction Score
Poor man's Adama Sanogo?
Needs the magic of our staff to bring out the best?
Do rankings mean anything?

2022----247 Composite Rankings for centers:
1. Dereck Lively
2. Kyle Filipowski
3. Kel'el Ware
4. Adem Bona
5. Yohan Traore
6. Vincent Iwuchukwu
7. Ernest Udeh Jr.
8. Henri Veesaar
9. Ugonna Onyenso
10. Tarris Reid
11. Isaiah Miranda
12. Baba Miller
13. Jalen Washington
14. Donovan Clingan
15. Felix Okpara

Trust the staff to see what they believe is important to the success of the team...........
Absolutely YES, watched highlights and thought "If he goes to Camp Sanogo he will be brutal!!" While his ups/vertical may not be astounding(was Adamas?) I think he gets off the ground quickly, not quite Samson, but better than Donovan. Encouraging that he is our first post Championship OV.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom