2024 Expectations | The Boneyard

2024 Expectations

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well another crazy beginning to our season. Once again the expectations were high with Jana Caroline Azzi and Yana and then with the stroke of a pen theyre out. UConn was forced to start over again against a very difficult schedule. Thus 3 losses. I have to wonder if we played those games right now if the result would be the same. We will never know. However we are a much improved team. We have shooters and scorers. We have team players who know how to play and who are committed to defense and rebounding and play without hesitation.

One thought comes to mind and that is hitting the freshman wall. I dont see it because we are playing aggressive which breeds confidence. Our freshman were ranked KK 7, Ashlynn 15 and Q 41. They sure havent played like that. This team has made a very impressive turn around in a very short time. Its scary how good they are playing against pretty good competition and there is still alot of improvement to make.

We lack size and rebounding. The rebounding will change as the season progresses. We as a team I feel will improve our rebounding. With the loss of Azzi and Caroline we lacked scoring and outside scoring Our freshman have shown they can shoot and score. We also have good ball handlers and can dribble drive and hit pull up jumpers. Something we lost with our injuries. Probably the most important thing we've gained is not relying on Paige and Aaliyah to take over. Our freshman have taken it upon themselves to look for their shot.

I really like the way we've been playin. I really like our body language. We still have a ways to go, but we sure look like we're on the right track. Playing that tuff schedule early on has prepared us for this. I am looking so forward to the Marquette game to see where we are. Both teams should be rusty but we are playing at home and dont have to travel. That to will make a difference.

Reaction Score
Right on again,Tonyc. I have the highest hopes I've had this year, now. It's amazing what the 3 freshmen have brought to the Ucunn team this year n such a short time and with our Senior class we have become a contender. I also believe we will win the BE and it will not be as hard as has been suggested. With the new comers in the next 2 years coming in, we will be a contender every year and finally NO.12. I DO NOT believe that Geno will retire without his 12th NC, Definitely a record that will ever be broken. The rest of 24 will be a joy to watch and 25 and 26 even more so. GO GENO!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
We lack size and rebounding.
Didn't Creighton upset Iowa to go to the Elite 8 two seasons ago with no one over 6'2" (if that) on their roster? They did it with good perimeter shooting, playing tough D and being total ball hawks. They tended to win the majority of 50-50 balls. I suspect this is what our March campaign will look like. We have a bit more size than Creighton, but less than the main gatekeepers we'll face. We can hit the perimeter shot, pass, drive the lane, play tough D, and our next hurdle is to sharpen up the rebounding and loose ball hawking. This is our path.

Reaction Score
Whatever else might happen in 2024, there will be some interesting games between now and the NC game.
If things continue in the upward trajectory the Huskies have been on, what seemed impossible a few weeks ago, might be within reach.
I
Some confidence, a bit of luck ( it’s about time we caught a few breaks) and a heavy dose of toughness & hard work can turn pipe dreams into reality.
The players need to have faith in Geno & his assistants. The coaches will need to have faith ( and patience) in their gifted athletes.
Most importantly, the Huskies have to have unshakable confidence in themselves and the certainty that their teammates will step up come crunch time.
The seniors have been in tight, tough situations before.They can give the freshman some sisterly support if things start to get weird.
Likewise, the newbies seem to have no fear and can inspire the veterans by letting them know that UCONN is once again, the Beast From the East, with no weak links.
Paige and Nika have shown that you don’t need to be 6’6” to box out and rebound.
Just smart and ready to be in the right place.
Sounds like fantasy, but we have a punchers chance in a WCBB environment, totally up for grabs.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Tonyc, you continue to show that one can be positive, have high expectations, and be realistic all at the same time.

Last year, I never lost hope at any point. Well, till after the sweet 16. Turns out I was too optimistic.

I haven't lost hope this year (at any point). This year's wide open.

Reaction Score
The Huskies will be fine against most Big East teams, but I'm not yet convinced that they can win against upper echelon teams outside of the Big East.

Reaction Score
I am just going to continue enjoying the growth of this team going into 2024. They will be fine. We might suffer a loss or two in the Big East, but I believe as the rest of the Big East plays out, this team is going to get stronger and better.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry to say it, but one of our major rivals, Texas, just took a huge hit to their title hopes.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I note a great deal of positive enthusiasm above
and little concern for potential reversal of fortune.

I'm not so worried about the "wall," just that the hard nose process of finishing, may not be fully engrained in the young ups DNA

Yes, they've demonstrated their scoring and defensive potential, but in last few wins, they weren't tested...At the end, their opponents rolled over.
I'd like to see some tough wins, necessitating
fighting to the end.

Seeing that, I'd happily join the totally optimistic side of the ledger.

Reaction Score
Ashlynn Shade's style of play can help this team evolve into a NC contender. If she can establish herself as a night-in-and-night-out scorer every other player fits a role that they excel at. The beauty of Shade's game is that she has a mid-range jump shot along with a 3pt shot. Others can show a mid-range shot from time-to-time (ofc Paige and Aaliyah have it), but it appears the mid-range jumper is her strength and she can get it off vs every team.

If she shows that she can get that mid-range jumper off vs anyone and hit it with efficiently and just be "pretty good" at the 3 point shot (which seems is all in her capability) then the expectation for UCONN should be extremely high.

Her shooting would allow Nika and KK to do what they do best: which is passing. An added bonus /the beauty of Nika and KK as well is that they are different in terms of scoring. Nika is more comfortable hanging outside shooting 3's while KK is more comfortable penetrating inside whether it be passing or scoring.

The beauty of Ashlynn’s perimeter game is that she also helps Aubrey a ton in which the combo of Ashlynn/Paige/Aaliyah open the lane a bit giving her more opportunities to score inside with quickness which she does best.

And ofc as a legit 3rd option which she might be/potentially night-and-night out that can be relied upon from Ashlynn would make things easier for Paige and Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
The midrange is the key ingredient in the formula. Any bucket-getter needs to have it in the arsenal. And Ashlynn is the bucket-getter in waiting. The surprising thing is we got two more bucket-getters coming in next year’s class.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to be realistic. For the past 3 years I've been crushed by my own optimism. A shot at an NC? Really? But I will concede, stranger things have happened. If there is a parade in Hartford in April, I will be there.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to be realistic. For the past 3 years I've been crushed by my own optimism. A shot at an NC? Really? But I will concede, stranger things have happened. If there is a parade in Hartford in April, I will be there.
My sentiments too. But given the sad news from Texas, all the cards on this season have not fallen yet. The kids in Storrs have already swallowed more sad news than any other team and now seem ready to begin their campaign with a good deal of their own optimism. I will honor that even without a parade.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry to say it, but one of our major rivals, Texas, just took a huge hit to their title hopes.
Major yes, but guards are more abundant than post players and Texas played without her before. They have a good coach who has been developing depth on the team so I expect they will bend a little but in the end will be good. It is a shame though for Harmon.

Reaction Score
Major yes, but guards are more abundant than post players and Texas played without her before. They have a good coach who has been developing depth on the team so I expect they will bend a little but in the end will be good. It is a shame though for Harmon.
I didn't say they wouldn't be good. They just won't contend. Shaylee can only carry them so far. Who will step into the other guard spot? Ndjakalenga or Shay? I like both of them, but I don't think that backcourt is going to the final four. They have excellent post players in Jones, Moore, Booker and Muhammad, but besides Amina they are a slow bunch. They really need to get a spark from the backcourt to make this formula work, and Shaylee only has so much wattage to give.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
To quote Tug McGraw "You Gotta Believe!"

I believe the team will continue to improve and the frosh will continue to grow and develop. There is a long way to go. Anything can happen.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Let's keep it real, for many of us old timers our expectations are simple, a Natty would look good, even better if we are still here to see it.

Reaction Score
Tonyc is ever optimistic and he makes a good case for UConn being really good for the rest of the season. I think they will be too. To be as good as we think they can be will to a large degree depend on if our newfound freshmen scorers can keep it up. On any given night enough of them should have good games and help the team get a W. If there is a concern it is whether in a game where scoring is hard Paige will realize that she needs to take over before it is too late.

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to witnessing the growth of a balanced team. If we learn to contain the downside, the team will go far. Last year, the emotional stress on the team made for days when too many players were out of sorts in the same game.

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to witnessing the growth of a balanced team. If we learn to contain the downside, the team will go far. Last year, the emotional stress on the team made for days when too many players were out of sorts in the same game.
"...contain the downside..." Is exactly right. All players have off nights, sometimes whole teams do. If you are favored by 40 but only win by 20 it all works out. Against a strong team you're probably cooked. In the past we've had extraordinary players who could take up the slack. Paige is that player now. During her freshman year we saw her on a few occasions decide that it was up to her if Uconn was to win. There will be times this year that she should do the same. Sure, she like to be a facilitator and see her teammates do good stuff, but make no mistakes, this is her team, she's the alpha and sometimes she needs to exert her will.

Reaction Score
The future is bright with these freshman .. but we need rebounders in a bad way or next season we will struggle to beat elite teams once again ..

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
My sentiments too. But given the sad news from Texas, all the cards on this season have not fallen yet. The kids in Storrs have already swallowed more sad news than any other team and now seem ready to begin their campaign with a good deal of their own optimism. I will honor that even without a parade.
They lost to Baylor today at home 85-79, with Harmon, I don't see them losing to Baylor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom