2024 CT Ice Tournament -> Jan. 26-27 @XL Center (Championship Gm: UConn v. #7 Quinnipiac > Saturday @7p on SNY & UConn+) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2024 CT Ice Tournament -> Jan. 26-27 @XL Center (Championship Gm: UConn v. #7 Quinnipiac > Saturday @7p on SNY & UConn+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Need Sacred Heart and Yale to become more competitive to take CT Ice up a level

Good win for UConn. Took care of business against a team they should beat
I think it is hard for SHU. They aren’t terrible and from time to time could be pretty good, but playing in Atlantic they will generally be the lesser program in this 5hing. Yale is another problem. After they won the National Championship they almost seem to have decided to give up. And this tourney adds to their problems. With their reduced schedule they don’t want to play 2 non-conference games but this thing might not work if UConn-SHU and QU-Yale are always the first round games. One of the good things about the Beanpot has always been that BC and BU are not always in the Finals. Every other year they play each other so one is out. Northeastern has stepped up in recent years but for many they were the big underdogs.

Reaction Score
I think it is hard for SHU. They aren’t terrible and from time to time could be pretty good, but playing in Atlantic they will generally be the lesser program in this 5hing. Yale is another problem. After they won the National Championship they almost seem to have decided to give up. And this tourney adds to their problems. With their reduced schedule they don’t want to play 2 non-conference games but this thing might not work if UConn-SHU and QU-Yale are always the first round games. One of the good things about the Beanpot has always been that BC and BU are not always in the Finals. Every other year they play each other so one is out. Northeastern has stepped up in recent years but for many they were the big underdogs.
I would expect next year for Quinnipiac and UConn to play in round 1

The Beanpots from 1994-2016 were all won by BC or BU

Northeastern won in 1988 and not again until 2018. They have won 4 out of the last 5

Harvard won in 1993 and not again until 2017

Reaction Score
UConn has not had more than 8 shots on goal in the 3rd period of a game they have won since having 10 shots on goal November 10th at Merrimack (excluding the UMass 3-3 shootout “win”)

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Clear as day Capone special. Good call
Bad call. Right from the rulebook:
• Major only option considerations: -Whether the opponent put themselves in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable. -Whether the opponent materially changed body or head position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact

Player was turning into AND lowering head. How these guys can review and still butcher baffles me.

Reaction Score
If I recall though it was a needless hit as I thought our player had already hit the SHU kid against the boards and then Capone comes in and tries to put a cherry on top.

I love the fact he can't wait to hit guys when he gets out there, but he's gotta know by now the refs are watching him everytime he steps in the ice. Probably more so than any player in the league. Hit hard but play as clean as possible.

Reaction Score
I would expect next year for Quinnipiac and UConn to play in round 1

The Beanpots from 1994-2016 were all won by BC or BU

Northeastern won in 1988 and not again until 2018. They have won 4 out of the last 5

Harvard won in 1993 and not again until 2017
Right, but my point is that BC and BU were not always in the Final. Every 3 years They played each other so even if they were the top 2 teams, Harvard or NU had a shot. FWIW I was at NU’s first win and they were more excited than teams are winning the NCAA title.

Reaction Score
Yale is another problem. After they won the National Championship they almost seem to have decided to give up. And this tourney adds to their problems. With their reduced schedule they don’t want to play 2 non-conference games but this thing might not work if UConn-SHU and QU-Yale are always the first round games.
Yale was fine after the Natty, and beat UConn at CT Ice in its inaugural season and in the Friendship Four in Belfast. It wasn’t until Covid and the shutdown year that they descended to the depths of D1 hockey.

Is the reduced schedule a Yale decision, or an Ivy decision ? Harvard plays two non conference games in the Beanpot and they will also play two more next season attn the Friendship four, so they seem unaffected by playing non ECAC games. Yale at least has the chance of playing one at CT Ice.

Reaction Score

Just have a few winning weekends then worry about Pairwise. There’s a solid month left w/ several opportunities for wins that’ll move the rankings by themselves. HE is the edge, now they simply need to win.

Reaction Score
Bad call. Right from the rulebook:
• Major only option considerations: -Whether the opponent put themselves in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable. -Whether the opponent materially changed body or head position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact

Player was turning into AND lowering head. How these guys can review and still butcher baffles me.
Didn't see it that way. He raised his forearm/elbow to hit the kid high. The sad thing is Capone was playing well and he gets the boot. If SH had the horses, it could have been devastating.
Can't do that vs QU. Coaches need to drill a little restraint into Capone's head!

Easier to do that then getting him to hit in the first place!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 9.35.27 AM.jpeg

Reaction Score
I asked and was told no. Even though they have the ability to scan people out and back in, which is what they do for folks going to the Coliseum Club

shrug

Either they changed the policy quickly or there’s some Miscommunication at the XL . We were able to go to guest services by the main atrium entrance and get scanned out so we could go the the coliseum club, which we did between games. Not sure if there’s a time limit you have to rescan to prevent folks from going elsewhere downtown, but it worked to get up there and grab a bite and a table.

Reaction Score
Yale was fine after the Natty, and beat UConn at CT Ice in its inaugural season and in the Friendship Four in Belfast. It wasn’t until Covid and the shutdown year that they descended to the depths of D1 hockey.

Is the reduced schedule a Yale decision, or an Ivy decision ? Harvard plays two non conference games in the Beanpot and they will also play two more next season attn the Friendship four, so they seem unaffected by playing non ECAC games. Yale at least has the chance of playing one at CT Ice.
It is an Ivy League thing. The Ivies play fewer games than the rest of the ECAC. So playing QU in a non-conference game is an issue for them. It is why yesterday was a league game. As to Harvard, they don’t have that issue. They are the only ECAC team in the Beanpot. Even if they did the Beanpot is so long established it wouldn’t matter. No place is more about tradition!

Reaction Score

I was hoping we'd be going back to Belfast. maybe 2025

Reaction Score
It is an Ivy League thing. The Ivies play fewer games than the rest of the ECAC. So playing QU in a non-conference game is an issue for them. It is why yesterday was a league game. As to Harvard, they don’t have that issue. They are the only ECAC team in the Beanpot. Even if they did the Beanpot is so long established it wouldn’t matter. No place is more about tradition!
So you’re saying Harvard has just as much difficulty with their Conference sked as Yale does, but actually has a disadvantage because all the other hockey teams in the Beanpot are in the HE conference whereas on certain years Yale is guaranteed an ECAC foe at times like this year when they can count it as a conference game in a tournament that is trying to grow and establish tradition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom