2023 Recruiting Thread | Page 58 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Another portal offer- this time to a DB from Miami U (Ohio) with three years of eligibility. Rowan Zolman played both WR and DB/LB in HS. Appeared in 9 games for Miami on D last season as a true freshman.

I'm somewhat surprised that most of the recruiting noise for next season still seems to be about DBs. We return 3 starters and our nickel from a defensive backfield that was better than it had been in years, and in addition have two corners who have started coming back from injury and have already brought in a number of DB transfers. I'm trying to figure out what this is telling us.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm somewhat surprised that most of the recruiting noise for next season still seems to be about DBs. We return 3 starters and our nickel from a defensive backfield that was better than it had been in years, and in addition have two corners who have started coming back from injury and have already brought in a number of DB transfers. I'm trying to figure out what this is telling us.
I agree. Been trying to read the same tea leaves and coming from the same POV. To make room someone has to depart....we shall see what happens after the final spring practice.

At 6'4, Zolman might be in that LB/S mold. Maybe the departure will be in the LB unit....among the back ups.

Reaction Score
I think the answer is along these lines. There are 16 DBs on the roster (including Millen) for next year and most have not played more than 1 year of college football. Two DBs are coming off injury and 2 are true freshmen. Only 2 of the transfers are going to play DB even though 2 other transfers seemed like they could be brought in to play DB. There are some defensive sets with 5 DBs on the field and maybe they want to be able to do that more often this season. And, DBs are very useful on special teams. Maybe there could be a transfer after spring ball.

Reaction Score
I think the answer is along these lines. There are 16 DBs on the roster (including Millen) for next year and most have not played more than 1 year of college football. Two DBs are coming off injury and 2 are true freshmen. Only 2 of the transfers are going to play DB even though 2 other transfers seemed like they could be brought in to play DB. There are some defensive sets with 5 DBs on the field and maybe they want to be able to do that more often this season. And, DBs are very useful on special teams. Maybe there could be a transfer after spring ball.

DBs are very versatile pieces. There are perfect for special teams. There are third downs when you have six DBs on the field with CBs, FS, SS, nickle and dime backs. At the end of the game, there are prevent formations that put eight or nine DBs on the field. Larger DBs can transition to LB pretty easily. Lots of college DBs played RB or WR in high school. So they can change sides of the ball like Cam Edwards.

Basically you need scads of 'em.

Reaction Score
DBs are very versatile pieces. There are perfect for special teams. There are third downs when you have six DBs on the field with CBs, FS, SS, nickle and dime backs. At the end of the game, there are prevent formations that put eight or nine DBs on the field. Larger DBs can transition to LB pretty easily. Lots of college DBs played RB or WR in high school. So they can change sides of the ball like Cam Edwards.

Basically you need scads of 'em.
Didn't Swenson come to the team as a CB?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I guess the grass is always greener.............
That class was full of CT kids that UConn recruited and were ignored for P5 programs, a ton of them never made it and transferred its wild.

Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You see all these WR's being recruited in the portal and it makes last week's transfers out of the program seem more obvious. Not a reach to suggest coaches weren't happy with WR room going in to and during spring.

Reaction Score

Tico Brown is a 6-2 295lb DL from Kokomo Indiana > WMU > Missouri State University (Transfer Portal)

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom