2023 LSU Offseason Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2023 LSU Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kim is probably tied with Geno at this stage in the rankings for best “currently coaching“ coaches list. She is the total package, A+ in recruiting, training and game management. She does it differently to be sure, but just as effective in today’s game.

I purposely said training instead of development, because I know how well she trains players to her system and style. I never think about development for the next level, and so I have no knowledge about that stuff, but from my college only perspective, she is at the top with Geno today.
Tied with GENO? Ma’am, that man has 11 national championships. She is an alone at 2 though.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kim is probably tied with Geno at this stage in the rankings for best “currently coaching“ coaches list. She is the total package, A+ in recruiting, training and game management. She does it differently to be sure, but just as effective in today’s game.

I purposely said training instead of development, because I know how well she trains players to her system and style. I never think about development for the next level, and so I have no knowledge about that stuff, but from my college only perspective, she is at the top with Geno today.

Dawn is there too. She's won 2 titles and played in 4 Final Fours in the last 6 NCAA tournaments (and was #1 entering the 2020 tournament). It wont be popular here, but at this point I'd put Dawn/Kim ahead of Geno when looking at coach ranking in today's day and age (not all time where Geno is clearly ahead of both). They've thrived utilizing the portal to their benefit, consistently have built really strong rosters and both have won multiple championships in the last 7 years. Both have unique challenges this upcoming year, with Dawn moving past the "freshies" era and Kim navigating a super team.

Geno is the best of the 3 at developing kids for the WNBA. The motion offense is heavily utilized in the pros and is a big reason why UCONN players who weren't stars in college or projected to be strong pros have been able to stick in the WNBA (ex. ONO, Juhasz, Dangerfield, Stokes etc). Aside from a few examples, most high draft picks have lived up to their billing too.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Tied with GENO? Ma’am, that man has 11 national championships. She is an alone at 2 though.
Current isn't the same as all time. In the era of the transfer portal and NIL, I'd argue no one has done a better job of adjusting to both than Kim has and her results speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
Current isn't the same as all time. In the era of the transfer portal and NIL, I'd argue no one has done a better job of adjusting to both than Kim has and her results speak for themselves.
I mean if your definition of best current coach is coach of reigning national championship coach, fine. That would put Geno as a top 16 coach but not top 8 current coach, but fine.

If you mean best coach of the last 5 years, also fine. Kim would probably be tied with with Dawn then with Tara as 3. Maybe Geno makes top 5 in that one but maybe not.

Now if you meant best coach currently coaching, I don’t see how in Geno would be in anyway tied with Kim. More national championships, more current and former players in the WNBA, more #1 recruits, more final fours, one paper a better roster AND players with comparative NIL deals.

There’s just no logical argument that has Geno and Kim tied for anything.

Reaction Score

Kim is a great coach but no way she is close to being tied with Geno. Geno is unquestionably # 1 by a lot.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I mean if your definition of best current coach is coach of reigning national championship coach, fine. That would put Geno as a top 16 coach but not top 8 current coach, but fine.

If you mean best coach of the last 5 years, also fine. Kim would probably be tied with with Dawn then with Tara as 3. Maybe Geno makes top 5 in that one but maybe not.

Now if you meant best coach currently coaching, I don’t see how in Geno would be in anyway tied with Kim. More national championships, more current and former players in the WNBA, more #1 recruits, more final fours, one paper a better roster AND players with comparative NIL deals.

There’s just no logical argument that has Geno and Kim tied for anything.
Geno clearly has the best legacy of the 3 but when looking at performance and results in the modern era, there's an argument that Kim/Dawn are performing better than Geno. The game changes and evolves over time, and we've seen quite a bit of change the past decade particularly with NIL and transfers. Geno is obviously doing better than Popovich is right now, but it's like how Greg Popovich wouldn't be considered the best NBA coach right now, but he ranks higher than any active coach on the all time list.

Reaction Score
Kim is a great coach but no way she is close to being tied with Geno. Geno is unquestionably # 1 by a lot.
It’s Geno/Pat then big gap

But Kim/Dawn are having a heck of a run right now. Tara has Stanford consistently excellent. No need for anyone to be putting any coach down

Reaction Score
Geno clearly has the best legacy of the 3 but when looking at performance and results in the modern era, there's an argument that Kim/Dawn are performing better than Geno. The game changes and evolves over time, and we've seen quite a bit of change the past decade particularly with NIL and transfers. Geno is obviously doing better than Popovich is right now, but it's like how Greg Popovich wouldn't be considered the best NBA coach right now, but he ranks higher than any active coach on the all time list.
That’s quite literally what I said above. But if that’s the argument, Kim would be tied with Dawn for one. Tara would be third and maybe you put Jeff or Vic above him at 4/5 if we are being real.

But Geno/Kim aren’t equals either way you cut it, imo. Either Kim is significantly higher or Geno is. Now this is an LSU off season thread and Im not sure how I ended up here so I won’t over take it.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
That’s quite literally what I said above. But if that’s the argument, Kim would be tied with Dawn for one. Tara would be third and maybe you put Jeff or Vic above him at 4/5 if we are being real.

But Geno/Kim aren’t equals either way you cut it, imo. Either Kim is significantly higher or Geno is. Now this is an LSU off season thread and Im not sure how I ended up here so I won’t over take it.
I disagree—I don’t see a huge gap or as black and white as you do. Both are great and among the best in the country. If you told me to pick a coach to recruit, build a roster, manage Xs and Os, and win a championship next year, those 2 and Dawn would be my top 3 picks. I think each has a compelling case for why they should be the top pick, and I wouldn’t be surprised by any of the 3 pulling through with the win.

If you don’t see it that way and see Geno as a clear cut superior coach, that’s fine, and we can agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
I disagree—I don’t see a huge gap or as black and white as you do. Both are great and among the best in the country. If you told me to pick a coach to recruit, build a roster, manage Xs and Os, and win a championship next year, those 2 and Dawn would be my top 3 picks. I think each has a compelling case for why they should be the top pick, and I wouldn’t be surprised by any of the 3 pulling through with the win.

If you don’t see it that way and see Geno as a clear cut superior coach, that’s fine, and we can agree to disagree.
It just seems arbitrary to include Geno to be in your top 3 compared to coaches like Tara, Jeff Walz, Vic Schaffer, Kevin McGuff, or Jan Jensen who have all been more successful in the NIL era (two years). If were throwing out the history book, I would choose Neile Ivy if I were choosing a modern day coach to build a team and coach them up but that’s just me.

Reaction Score

Speaking of all these health issues of these coaches lately. Mulkey is very lucky

Going in for carpal tunnel, coming out with 2 stents... Seeing this happen a lot more to people I know since getting older. Lots of folks with major or complete blockages running around asymptomatic until its not...

Reaction Score

How has Kim done in the last few years against Geno and Dawn? When did she last beat UConn?

Reaction Score

Speaking of all these health issues of these coaches lately. Mulkey is very lucky

Going in for carpal tunnel, coming out with 2 stents... Seeing this happen a lot more to people I know since getting older. Lots of folks with major or complete blockages running around asymptomatic until its not...

yep, cannot comment here…..have to be discreet

Reaction Score
How has Kim done in the last few years against Geno and Dawn? When did she last beat UConn?
Kim is 3-5 against Geno and 2-3 against Dawn. The last time Kim beat UConn was the season that the NCAA tournament was canceled because of Covid.

Reaction Score
What’s the recruiting scoop on My’Arah O’Neal these days? I know Kim offered in the Spring but haven’t heard anything lately. Mildly surprising when a legacy doesn’t commit early. Haven’t seen her mention any of the big contender programs offering - but she may just have gone quiet after the LSU offer.

Updates?

Reaction Score
What’s the recruiting scoop on My’Arah O’Neal these days? I know Kim offered in the Spring but haven’t heard anything lately. Mildly surprising when a legacy doesn’t commit early. Haven’t seen her mention any of the big contender programs offering - but she may just have gone quiet after the LSU offer.

Updates?
She is taking all official visits before announcing though some suspect she is a LSU lean for a bit. She is a nice prospect, little raw offensively but athleticism is through the roof and a great rebounder. 35-50 ranking is appropriate of her skillset. Should do well at the next level if she continues to grow. Her offer list has expanded significantly over the last couple months

LSU is hosting Sarah Strong and Koval in September, Joyce Edwards (who is likely SC bound) is coming at some point in October. Cambridge in early November

I haven’t heard anything about O’Neal or Carlton visit dates or if anything is tentatively scheduled

Reaction Score
Is this team ever going to start training together? It does seem strange that a team that will have so many new pieces has yet to start training. Wtf is Kim doing over there?

Reaction Score
Is this team ever going to start training together? It does seem strange that a team that will have so many new pieces has yet to start training. Wtf is Kim doing over there?
I feel many are overthinking this and feel like no videos/pictures means the team isn't training. But this is what I know:

Mulkey was not with the team this summer as she had heart surgery and recovered to finish recruiting in late July/early August. The assistant coaches, strength and conditioning coach managed the rest but Mulkey never usually works with the team much anyways during the summer (she didn't last summer).

-Freshmen moved in late June and started training until this past week with the rest of the team.

Hailey Van Lith has been doing 3 on 3 all summer but moved in early August after her last 3 on 3 stuff. At least she has consistently been participating in basketball and training. Pretty sure with the exception of Reese, the rest of the team has been working with each other all summer doing strength conditioning, scrimmages and individual workouts since early July. Morrow showed up little bit later than the freshmen due to family problem but participated in individual workouts with trainers all summer in Chicago and got multiple weeks working with the team. The team is on a small break now before official team meeting next week but Morrow/Williams went to the Nike camp in Oregon together days ago.

As far as Reese goes... Not a good look though for Reese to not even participate with the team the entire summer outside of 2 practices (the last week before the break before fall starts). No way has been stayed up on basketball/conditioning doing this much traveling. In the end she only hurts herself, so when she doesn't stay on a WNBA roster, she can look back at all the time she used to run around and party versus working on your game. And if you look at Flaujae, there is a kid who exemplifies you can do your hobbies off the court while still engaging in every team practice and workouts. Its not that difficult, Reese clearly has other priorities though...

Reaction Score

What gives you the impression that the team hasn't been training?

Reaction Score
I feel many are overthinking this and feel like no videos/pictures means the team isn't training. But this is what I know:

Mulkey was not with the team this summer as she had heart surgery and recovered to finish recruiting in late July/early August. The assistant coaches, strength and conditioning coach managed the rest but Mulkey never usually works with the team much anyways during the summer (she didn't last summer).

-Freshmen moved in late June and started training until this past week with the rest of the team.

Hailey Van Lith has been doing 3 on 3 all summer but moved in early August after her last 3 on 3 stuff. At least she has consistently been participating in basketball and training. Pretty sure with the exception of Reese, the rest of the team has been working with each other all summer doing strength conditioning, scrimmages and individual workouts since early July. Morrow showed up little bit later than the freshmen due to family problem but participated in individual workouts with trainers all summer in Chicago and got multiple weeks working with the team. The team is on a small break now before official team meeting next week but Morrow/Williams went to the Nike camp in Oregon together days ago.

As far as Reese goes... Not a good look though for Reese to not even participate with the team the entire summer outside of 2 practices (the last week before the break before fall starts). No way has been stayed up on basketball/conditioning doing this much traveling. In the end she only hurts herself, so when she doesn't stay on a WNBA roster, she can look back at all the time she used to run around and party versus working on your game. And if you look at Flaujae, there is a kid who exemplifies you can do your hobbies off the court while still engaging in every team practice and workouts. Its not that difficult, Reese clearly has other priorities though...
Where are videos outside of maybe 1 or two showing Flaujae participation in team workouts. Also I’ve have not seen Poole in many team workouts either. Flaujae & Reese both equally seem to have had busy off the court schedules causing them not to be on campus with team. Seems as though the freshman are the only ones consistently in team workouts. Maybe bc they have moved in already & the other players have not.

Reaction Score
Where are videos outside of maybe 1 or two showing Flaujae participation in team workouts. Also I’ve have not seen Poole in many team workouts either. Flaujae & Reese both equally seem to have had busy off the court schedules causing them not to be on campus with team. Seems as though the freshman are the only ones consistently in team workouts. Maybe bc they have moved in already & the other players have not.
Flaujae has literally been with the team the entire summer (as has SaMyah, Poa and Poole) since the freshmen moved in. One of the LSU assistant coaches often did IG lives showing them practicing and scrimmaging. Flaujae does travel a lot on weekends when they don’t have team workouts/lifting. I know this for a 100% fact. So don’t try to put her with Reese who has literally not been with the team at all minus two practices in august

Only players who haven’t been on campus have been Reese, Hailey Van Lith and Morrow (who showed up slightly later). Hailey Van Lith though has been doing 3x3 all summer though. Excluding Reese doing team USA tournament months ago she has had nothing scheduled to do so it’s a bad look for her IMO. She could have easily participated in summer workouts with the team and do her NIL stuff like Flaujae has, she choose not to.

Reaction Score
Flaujae has literally been with the team the entire summer (as has SaMyah, Poa and Poole) since the freshmen moved in. One of the LSU assistant coaches often did IG lives showing them practicing and scrimmaging. Flaujae does travel a lot on weekends when they don’t have team workouts/lifting. I know this for a 100% fact. So don’t try to put her with Reese who has literally not been with the team at all minus two practices in august

Only players who haven’t been on campus have been Reese, Hailey Van Lith and Morrow (who showed up slightly later). Hailey Van Lith though has been doing 3x3 all summer though. Excluding Reese doing team USA tournament months ago she has had nothing scheduled to do so it’s a bad look for her IMO. She could have easily participated in summer workouts with the team and do her NIL stuff like Flaujae has, she choose not to.
Not true about Flaujae being with team literally “all” summer but go off. You seem to think you know everything about the team workouts so be it. #GeauxTigers

Reaction Score
Not true about Flaujae being with team literally “all” summer but go off. You seem to think you know everything about the team workouts so be it. #GeauxTigers
Feel free to tell me since everyone feels strongly LSUs entire team is sitting home doing no practice or anything the entire summer. So how long has Flaujae been there then? You seem to imply she is Angel Reese 2.0 and never with the team.

I’m actually highly familiar with LSUs program. Flaujae has been participating in all the workouts with the freshmen since they started in early July but does do a lot of traveling on the side mostly on weekends when they don’t do practices. Morrow only got 2-3 weeks with the team coming in late. Hailey Van Lith wasn’t with them once all summer… granted she was doing basketball things. Reese only showed up 2 practices before the end of summer break.

Rosario has a small surgery and is in rehab and expected to be cleared soon. Rest of the team has been practicing, lifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom