Men - 2022 UConn Fall Baseball/Alumni Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Fall Baseball/Alumni Game

Reaction Score
I did not mean to imply that Daniels will not get a chance at playing time, just that I would be very surprised if Daniels replaced Padilla at shortstop in the starting lineup given how well Padilla played last season. It would not surprise me if Daniels gets a look at 3B or another open spot. Right now with Huber, Smith, and Padilla all back with the team, there is an open spot in the infield that either an incoming freshman such as Daniels, one of the transfers, or a returning player such as Chris Brown or Jack Petersen could fill.

Right now we probably all have David Smith pencilled in at 2B, but he can also play 3B and the outfield as well, so there is certainly some flexibility there. It would seem Morton and Simmons will most likely be starters in the outfield, but there is an open spot in the outfield as well.
I have only seen Daniels play one game and warm up drills prior to that game. I came away thinking he would play 3rd base or an outfield position at UCONN. I would think DH might be in place as well.

Reaction Score
I have only seen Daniels play one game and warm up drills prior to that game. I came away thinking he would play 3rd base or an outfield position at UCONN. I would think DH might be in place as well.

I recall something on Daniels that suggested he would be better off at either a corner infield position or the outfield in college. Nothing unusual there, the best players in high school frequently play shortstop, and then move to other positions in college and beyond. I recall he showed a good bat in summer ball, so perhaps he could get time at the D.H. spot as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I recall something on Daniels that suggested he would be better off at either a corner infield position or the outfield in college. Nothing unusual there, the best players in high school frequently play shortstop, and then move to other positions in college and beyond. I recall he showed a good bat in summer ball, so perhaps he could get time at the D.H. spot as well.
From info I have heard from several sources, the coaches like Daniels a lot. They also see him as a corner infielder or DH as a freshman.

Obviously that can change, but can’t see him beating out Padilla or Smith at SS or 2nd.

Reaction Score

Nice day for a fall ball scrimmage in Storrs, that's for sure. Dominic Freeberger saw time both with the bat and on the mound, so it would seem he is certainly a potential two way guy.

Reaction Score

This Daily Campus article lists a number of UConn alumni who will be at the game on Sunday:

<The matchup will be UConn’s current players against the alumni. As of right now, not all participating alumni are known. Some confirmed alumni that will be competing in Sunday’s game are Chris Winkel, Willy Yahn, Paul Gozzo, Zac Susi, Kenneth Haus, Jeffrey Kersten, Joe Simeone, Cole Chudoba and David Langer.>

Interesting that Joe Simione will be there, while I believe he did graduate from UConn, last season he was a starting pitcher for Gardner-Webb University as a Grad Transfer.

My wife and I plan to be at this event on Sunday, always look forward to it. Hoping that a tentative schedule for next season will be made available, as is usually the case for this event.

Reaction Score

An addition to the UConn baseball roster was announced at the Alumni Game today. A walk on, RHP Joe Carrea from Cranford, NJ, is now on the fall ball roster that was handed out at the event today. The online roster still needs to be updated. Carrea was on the roster at the start of the 2021 fall ball season, but did not make the spring roster.

Reaction Score
UConn starting lineup for the Alumni Game:

David Smith 2B
Korey Morton CF
Dominic Freeberger 3B
Ben Huber 1B
Matt Garbowski - C
Maddix Dalena DH
Jake Studley - RF
Paul Tammaro - SS
Niko Brini - LF

Andrew Sears was the starting pitcher, he went two innings. Last Saturday Sears was also one of the starters in a team scrimmage, he went 2 innings in that game as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom