Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is awesome, thanks for putting this together.

If everything goes according to plan today, this is my guess:

3.0 IP - Cooke
3.0 IP - Chudoba
1.0 IP - Afthim
0.1 IP - O'Donnell
0.2 IP - Peterson
1.0 IP - Wills
I'm thinking Penders is hoping for a combined eight innings from Cooke/Chudoba. I personally want each to pitch well and for our bats to feast on the fumes that Maryland will have in the way of pitchers.

Reaction Score
Good news for all the mojo guys, I watched the Friday (work meeting) and Saturday (Top Gun) games late, but was able to watch yesterday's live from the start. I'll be starting tonight's game late as well

Reaction Score
A few random musings on UConn baseball and this Regional.

UConn so far has played three games against Maryland and Wake Forest, the two top seeds in this regional. The Huskies have certainly shown that they can compete with both these teams, that's for sure. In essence, both Maryland and Wake Forest are very much souped up versions of Xavier and Georgetown, teams that play in small ballparks that can really whack the ball on offense. UConn should certainly be getting used to playing these sort of offensive minded teams by now.

The only player in the everyday lineup who doesn't really have good walk totals is Korey Morton. Of course, when you spend a decent amount of the season hitting around .500, that is a sort of counter balance, plus at times he has really put his speed to good use on offense this season. I'm inclined to think that since Morton came back from his hamstring injury that he isn't quite the same player, but then again, it is hard to keep an average around .500. Also wondering if some of Erik Stock's batting problems of late may be due in some part to his leg injury that seems to be keeping him from playing the outfield.

Overall, UConn has had a solid unit on offense all season, even though it has shown it can be prone to getting into stretches where the offense just doesn't produce as well. I suspect most teams have similar peaks and valleys, as that just seems to be the nature of baseball itself. Producing on offense just always isn't an easy thing for most teams.

As much as people talk about the hitting, to me the real key to UConn's success has been the pitching, especially the starting pitching variety. It is really what has kept UConn competitive in games this season, when the offense gets productive it really adds the icing on the cake so to speak.

To me the big keys for this game for UConn are Ian Cooke and Cole Chudoba. One of them is probably going to start (everyone seems to think it will be Cooke, and so do I), and the other will probably be the first out of the pen. Neither one of them have gotten a ton of starts, so we'll see what happens. I expect the coaching staff will go with either one of them for as long as they are effective. Hoping the starting pitcher can go 5+ innings, but that is obviously dependent on effectiveness. Other probables out of the pen would be Sullivan and Afthim, and perhaps O'Donnell getting into the game to face his usual lefty hitter or two. If all goes right, Justin Willis gets to close it out, I would expect him to be available for an inning or two. But like I said, the big keys to this game are Cooke and/or Chudoba. If they are on their game, UConn should be in pretty good shape.

One more thing, playing a post season tournament at one of the top 16 seeds home fields is never going to be an easy thing that's for sure. On the other hand, UConn baseball has certainly shown this season that they are not an easy out, that's for sure. I agree with what Coach Penders has said in interviews recently, about this team having the best depth it has had in some time, and it certainly helps in these situations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been watching the Florida/Oklahoma game a bit. Players are going all out to make plays. Some nice grabs in centerfield. I expect nothing less tonight. Should be fun.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, the other guys…

Because of the exhausting night on the mound, Maryland will now face the challenge of a scarce pitching staff moving forward in the tournament. Vaughn said he may try starter Jason Savacool for an inning and will work in a couple of guys to fill in the blanks.

“We didn’t have the luxury of saying, ‘Oh, we got to save somebody to start tomorrow,’ because if we don’t get that done today, there is no tomorrow,” Vaughn said

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, the other guys…

Because of the exhausting night on the mound, Maryland will now face the challenge of a scarce pitching staff moving forward in the tournament. Vaughn said he may try starter Jason Savacool for an inning and will work in a couple of guys to fill in the blanks.

“We didn’t have the luxury of saying, ‘Oh, we got to save somebody to start tomorrow,’ because if we don’t get that done today, there is no tomorrow,” Vaughn said

No question that at this point in the regional that UConn's pitching staff is in better shape in terms of quality and rest than what Maryland has. Still, we'll just have to see how it all plays out. It will be another night of listening to the words of Chris Jones while broadcasting the game on MIXLR running through my head.

Reaction Score
Cooke is starting. Chudoba is ready. Word on the street is Chudoba has looked really good in game simulations the last few weeks. Surpised the staff isn't starting Chudoba given the veteran presence he offers, but it's much nicer to be in a position where you have the option of starting two really good pitchers than the position Maryland is in. I think we will get 5 solid from Cooke, 3 scoreless from Chudoba, and a 1-2-3 9th from Willis. Key is to get out of the top of the 1st unscathed and then jump on them. Gotta put the pressure on Maryland from the jump.

Reaction Score
Also wondering if some of Erik Stock's batting problems of late may be due in some part to his leg injury that seems to be keeping him from playing the outfield.
Yes, he is definitely dealing with a lingering foot issue from some foul balls. He was laboring to get around the bases in game 1.

Reaction Score
Moved Padilla up and Donlan down in the order. Probably a good move based on the quality of at bats through the regional. Other than the big HR, Donlan hasn't even been putting the ball in play with 7 strikeouts in the 3 games. Even some of Padilla's outs have been hard hit balls

Reaction Score
More interesting to me is Stock going back to LF. Maybe -- hopefully -- that means his leg is a little better today. (More likely, it means Stock is lying about it but one can hope.)

Reaction Score
Moved Padilla up and Donlan down in the order. Probably a good move based on the quality of at bats through the regional. Other than the big HR, Donlan hasn't even been putting the ball in play with 7 strikeouts in the 3 games. Even some of Padilla's outs have been hard hit balls

Good to see a move like this. As I've said before, nothing wrong with moving players up and down the lineup due to performance. Thinking it is possible that Donlan's bat may possibly being affected by him catching all the games down the stretch as well.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In tournaments like these quite often the team that prevails is the one that does not run out of pitching. We absolutely need to capitalize on this advantage.

I'm curious if an injury is why Morton is not I tg he field tonight (could also explain his getting pulled late in yesterday's game).

Reaction Score
More interesting to me is Stock going back to LF. Maybe -- hopefully -- that means his leg is a little better today. (More likely, it means Stock is lying about it but one can hope.)

It is indeed interesting that Stock is playing the field again. Yes, usually it would be an indication of a healthier player. It may also be that Stock hits better when he is playing in the field as well.

One more observation on the move. It may be a thing with Morton. With Korey at D.H., it opens up more possibilities for pinch hitting for him in case his approach at the plate does not look good early on tonight. Considering that Ferrer pinched hit for Morton last night, I would think this is a possibility. Perhaps also it is a way of getting Fedko an at bat late in the game as well.

Reaction Score
Keep MD scoreless in the top of the 1st. Then……….advantage UConn.

Reaction Score
Johnson has 15 walks in 19 innings, which is presumably why, despite the good ERA, he didn't pitch more.

For God's sake, let's tamp down on the aggresiveness at the plate, take some pitches and make him throw strikes.

Reaction Score
This game is being shown on ESPNU out here in Phoenix!

GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
With the LSU game only in the 7th. What channel will the game begin on ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom